Needed a reminder why i avoid old saws..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made about 3/4 thru a 20" across 28" tall slab of oak...it lugged down and chewed away with the 20" hardnose burued. Then pfft...no spark.

So, it starts, idles, oils...cuts. Needs a coil and roller sprocket bar

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I use a saw daily in my profession. I am neither nostalgic nor sentimental when it comes to handling a saw all day. Husqvarna 262,288 ,stihl 044,064,066 all served their purpose and utilized the technology of the day. But when I go to the woods I drive a nice pickup with heat and air. I leave the horse and buggy to the amish as well as the crosscut saw and bottle of kerosene! LOL! Give me a m-tronic with anti vibe all day long. When my dad and uncles gave it up they had to hold a cup of coffee with both hands! Nothing against a hobbyist and their like for the old saws. Just sharing why I avoid the old saws.

I use a saw daily in my profession. I am neither nostalgic nor sentimental when it comes to handling a saw all day. Husqvarna 262,288 ,stihl 044,064,066 all served their purpose and utilized the technology of the day. But when I go to the woods I drive a nice pickup with heat and air. I leave the horse and buggy to the amish as well as the crosscut saw and bottle of kerosene! LOL! Give me a m-tronic with anti vibe all day long. When my dad and uncles gave it up they had to hold a cup of coffee with both hands! Nothing against a hobbyist and their like for the old saws. Just sharing why I avoid the old saws.
This one is pretty smooth, the antivibe is really well done. Now...running a Wild Thing for 15 minutes will 100% give me nerve damage

A really great point. It’s one thing doing it as a hobby and cutting some firewood with an old saw but if you’re doing it professionally I can’t imagine many wanting anything but the latest.

That said, I’m sure you still enjoy jumping on an old tank for a few cuts :)

I took an 076 super to a local off road area to test it after a rebuild, as soon as I started it everyone came around to listen to it and enjoyed hearing how good it sounded. There were at least 10 -15 people gathered around.

330 wasn’t one of HOMELITES best, the intake boot is a bit of a pain, they are a clamshell saw which doesn’t matter too much I guess, oil lines were funky, they use a choke very similar to a Poulan S25DA. That’s fine but every other HOMELITE uses the pull style. I had one and gave it away. HOMELITE made a lot of great saws SXL, 925, SEZ just to name a few. The 330 was ok.

Im really not sure why they designed it so strangely...

Needed a reminder why i avoid old saws..​

If ya need a reminder do the reverse.
Go buy a new one and 30 minutes after the limited warranty expires it bites the dust. Then you find that the part that might be bad is very expensive and only available from Mr. Haney at the Green Acres dealership and no warranty on the new part once the money leaves your pocket and the replacement part costs more than half the price you paid for the Chainsaw and they made two different versions and the dealer says you just have to order and see if it might work.
You start wishing you had your old saw back that you could repair blindfolded using your cheap spare parts that you already throwed away to make room for your NEW baby that you thought would last forever.
Yep, just a reminder:

New does not always cure all the pains.
About time for a chainsaw that you can hook to your cell phone and ask Alexa to ask the chainsaw "What is your problem" and if Alexa cannot communicate try Siri.
Another reminder why you might want an old chainsaw.

What is this world coming too.
Beam me up Scotty "no intelligent life down here on Earth now days.

Im really not sure why they designed it so strangely...

Yeah. It’s got nothing in common with an SXL or a 360. The 360 is similar but a better saw all around. Funny Homelite tried those saws to take the place of the SXL. At that point the XL12/SXL were almost 20 years old. But they were/are great saws. Needless to say the 300 saws came and went and the XL12/SXL lasted well into then 90s. Went down with the ship that was Homelite. Now they exist as a Zombie brand. Homedepot Chinese garbage.

Needed a reminder why i avoid old saws..​

If ya need a reminder do the reverse.
Go buy a new one and 30 minutes after the limited warranty expires it bites the dust. Then you find that the part that might be bad is very expensive and only available from Mr. Haney at the Green Acres dealership and no warranty on the new part once the money leaves your pocket and the replacement part costs more than half the price you paid for the Chainsaw and they made two different versions and the dealer says you just have to order and see if it might work.
You start wishing you had your old saw back that you could repair blindfolded using your cheap spare parts that you already throwed away to make room for your NEW baby that you thought would last forever.
Yep, just a reminder:

New does not always cure all the pains.
About time for a chainsaw that you can hook to your cell phone and ask Alexa to ask the chainsaw "What is your problem" and if Alexa cannot communicate try Siri.
Another reminder why you might want an old chainsaw.

What is this world coming too.
Beam me up Scotty "no intelligent life down here on Earth now days.
330 isn’t a good old saw. Was never good now it’s old and not good.

A really great point. It’s one thing doing it as a hobby and cutting some firewood with an old saw but if you’re doing it professionally I can’t imagine many wanting anything but the latest.

That said, I’m sure you still enjoy jumping on an old tank for a few cuts :)

I took an 076 super to a local off road area to test it after a rebuild, as soon as I started it everyone came around to listen to it and enjoyed hearing how good it sounded. There were at least 10 -15 people gathered around.
I have a mint 070 I crank now and again. Helped a friend cut up a 70" red oak and we played with the old dinosaur. The 661 cut through twice while the 070 was chugging along.

I agree with a saw update. Dirtbikes are up to 10-12K. For homeowner use $600 buys a better than average saw. My 041 Husqvarna will likely be logging in a landfill as some of the chinese replacement parts aren't worth the time or effort.

Mr Haney was the CEO and sole stockholder in the Grabwell Saw company.

I like my old saws and their design. They have proven to be reliable powerful and can perform as well or better than any thing on the market today. The so called new and improved 661 is any thing but impressive. It is only a throw away saw at best and not powerful. For those who do not know any better it will work for them. Thanks

I have a 330 that I built from two junkers.
It was my first project when I decided to start a new hobby of resurrecting dead saws.
I learned enough to say, never again. It does take the oiler forever to prime. GL
Probably should be noted that I do not use saws for a hobby as I cut to produce firewood. I do some times take on tree removals if the money is right and conditions are good. The newer saws get many minus points if they can not be maintained in the field. If a saw can not have the carburetor changed on a log before sun up the beautiful new saw becomes worthless. For those that can go to their shop every day that is a different matter. Thanks

I bring my 041av Super on almost every tree job, if only to remind the other saws to behave. Its great - I knew nothing about the 041 saws when I got it, it just looked good and sounded better, was in real nice shape and for whatever reason around here no one ever sells off their old saws. Just like my '82 F150 with a 351w and no mufflers the 041 is a hoot. Whenever I am having a bad day I load up the dog and we go for a ride and make some noise. And then we go to Tesoro, because they have milk-bones and also my old truck is a THIRSTY GIRL, just like the 041.

Recently bought a new ms 461 because i heard they were going to retire it. Also what kind of person does tree work and only owns two saws? While it is literally brand new its technology looks 30 years old, to say the least. Was taking down a 20"dbh birch for someone recently and it would not idle so it was 041s to the rescue. Turned out it was just bad fuel, it has been real damp here lately.

Probably should be noted that I do not use saws for a hobby as I cut to produce firewood. I do some times take on tree removals if the money is right and conditions are good. The newer saws get many minus points if they can not be maintained in the field. If a saw can not have the carburetor changed on a log before sun up the beautiful new saw becomes worthless. For those that can go to their shop every day that is a different matter. Thanks
Thanks Ted.
I'm the same way. I'd rather work on one on my tailgate in good weather instead of on my bench.
After 45 years of cutting firewood I can honestly say I've never taken any to a saw to a shop.
Clint

Latest posts

Back