Needing A lot of advice about climbing with adds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jprice88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I was a fairly new climber ... Pretty decent with a saw. All of my climbing was blakes hitch and/ or spurs.. Anyways I was in a work accident ( main job: construction) left we with a broken hip.. Times past now I'm at about 60% and I need to learn a new system that will be a little more effortless in ascending and overall movement.. I'm looking for neat little addons that made your life's easier on your climb. Please fill me in on what has worked and not worked for you.

What about the hitch climber pulley and rope wrench system? I still think a foot ascender is a must
Ascending SRT requires more strength because there's no mechanical advantage like DRT. I still use a hitch climber because I'm cheap but I love using my coworkers' zigzags. Four of them use it now.

Ascending SRT requires more strength because there's no mechanical advantage like DRT. I still use a hitch climber because I'm cheap but I love using my coworkers' zigzags. Four of them use it now.

I'm cheap too I have the hitch climber pulley but no rope wrench and tether... I think the foot ascender is a must fore sure too

Sure there is no 2:1 in srt, but saying it requires more strength is a reach. Even with just a foot ascender I find it easier and less strenuous. Add a knee ascender and you'll be amazed how much less strength you need. Sure you need to plan your climb a little better but between setting a 3:1 or using the foot ascender I find I have way more energy working the tree than on drt.

It's more gear intensive but if you already have a hitchclimber setup get a wrench and a foot ascender and your in business. The haas and saka are nice but you can make a knee ascender pretty inexpensively that functions just fine.

+1 on the Haas and foot ascender. There's no 2:1 mechanical advantage.. but, you're also using your legs which are substantially stronger than your arms. And you get a 1:1, for every foot of slack you eat, you gain a foot of lift.

+1 on the Haas and foot ascender. There's no 2:1 mechanical advantage.. but, you're also using your legs which are substantially stronger than your arms. And you get a 1:1, for every foot of slack you eat, you gain a foot of lift.

I was looking on tree stuff.com and I think I'm going to get a wrench and tether and the haas system

I was looking on tree stuff.com and I think I'm going to get a wrench and tether and the haas system
If you're only getting one ascender.. get the foot ascender. Otherwise, pair the foot ascender and Haas to simply walk up the rope. Awesomeness x 50

If you're only getting one ascender.. get the foot ascender. Otherwise, pair the foot ascender and Haas to simply walk up the rope. Awesomeness x 50

Found a combo kit haas system + another foot ascender. That's what I was thinking too with just being able to walk up

I really like my ct foot ascender, plus they are reasonably priced.
Cant go wrong with either the haas or saka. You will be blown away by the ropewalker setup. Dont forget you 'll need a way to tether the multiscender

Like a neck or a chest tether to pull the whole thing up. Otherwise the device will droop down and you would have to slide it up manually. I use a neck tether but some folks think they're hazardous. I think the chest tether is a better option but slower on and off and just more stuff to catch on in the canopy.
Lanyard over the shoulder works but it's not the best, imo.

Like a neck or a chest tether to pull the whole thing up. Otherwise the device will droop down and you would have to slide it up manually. I use a neck tether but some folks think they're hazardous. I think the chest tether is a better option but slower on and off and just more stuff to catch on in the canopy.
Lanyard over the shoulder works but it's not the best, imo.
X2 on the neck tether. **** the naysayers. Andrew's (@moss) H.U.T is the bomb.

I use a treestuff buff, just some swag they send every once in a while. Stretchy, mostly comfortable, and best of all free.
HUT looks simple enough to make with some shock cord and a rope jacket.

Back