Neem blasted Juniper... can't decide what to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpasquini

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This was a great "tree", in the front yard which had acquired spider mites last year. In my wisdom I sprayed it with Neem Oil, which even though it says nothing on the bottle, which was labeled "Safe and All Natural", apparently works like acid on Junipers. The result was the mites got under control, but the entire tree browned out.
The following Spring I began giving it regular waterings and fertilizer, just to see if there was any hope. As you can see, here we are in early June.

The tree is clearly not dead, and if you look at the pictures, there are sprouts here and there, as well as growth at the tips on some branches.
What I can't decide is... is this tree ever going to look normal again? None of the branches are brittle, they bend- which I have always understood as a sign that they are still alive.
But even with the sprouts on the base, I can hardly see this ever "catching back up" and having a natural shape.
I've heard of the theory of cutting off all the seemingly dead branches, to spur growth, but then I'd be left with a stick with tufts.

Is quite a large plant, 10 feet high and established roots, I hate to dig it out and replace it. It will take years for another to reach this size. But maybe this is just hoping for too much.
Take it out and replace? Leave it??
WWYD?

Attachments

• P1140435.JPG
    P1140435.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 17
  • P1140436.JPG
    P1140436.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1140440.JPG
    P1140440.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1140437.JPG
    P1140437.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1140439.JPG
    P1140439.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 20
  • P1140441.JPG
    P1140441.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 15
The new growth your seeing will never replace the original structure of the tree.
I would cut my losses and start over with something else that isnt susceptible to spider mites.

Back