Neighbor pouring salt on my trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copper is both an essential micro nutrient and a toxin in large quantities.

Too much copper will kill a tree. But have you seen how slow copper corrodes? It would take a long time. How much copper do you supposed is released as they corrode? (very little). So it would take a LOT of nails to have an impact. Have you priced copper nails? (I assume so, if you've installed lightning protection!). Not a very efficient way to kill a tree. Perhaps if you drive enough in to girdle the tree, they'd work.

Mostly an old wive's tail...based on the truth that copper is toxic, but not thought through about the practicalities of it.

Good post . Copper in trace amounts is one of the main killing ingredients in many fungicides or at least it was when I was an active arborist . It has been awhile since I have read the label on a container of fungicide.
I have been reading this thread and this is one for the record books as far as legal issues. It would be interesting to hear from the other neighbor who is supposedly the salt pouring tree killer of the neighborhood so we could hear both sides. This in a roundabout way reminds me of a neighbor we used to have living next to us. It wasn't leaves but twigs falling on lawns that drove this guy to pick them up . We jokingly said we didn't have birds nesting in our neighborhood because this guy was constantly picking up twigs so the birds couldn't build nests in the spring. He was harmless but definitely pecuilar.

Metallic copper is unlikely to do much, but copper sulfate (and other soluble copper salts) can definitely kill trees if applied to soil with that intent. It's commonly used to kill tree roots in sewers and drains.

I think it's easily the cheapest and most effective way to kill a tree without visible damage. Much more likely than table salt.

It was confirmed as the herbicide a vandal used to nearly fatally damage a beloved old tree at a university in the Southern US...can't remember and couldnt find the news article.

Edit: Actually, I think I was thinking of the Toomer Oaks that were killed by Spike herbicide that was mentioned earlier. It is very expensive though.

https://www.wsfa.com/story/14043972/toomers-corner-trees/
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The mulch was applied over a year ago and to many other tree beds too.Thanks.
That might be a bit of a clue there. The fact the mulch was applied recently (a couple years is recently in tree years) might mean that that's the problem, or at least a contributing factor. Hiring an arborist is a good plan. You might be surprised at what he/she tells you.

Early this May 2020, after all other trees in the area had leaves, I realized that 6-8 of my trees appeared fully or partially dead. I have a neighbor who is a fanatic about leaves and other tree "parts" landing in her yard. She moved in 2 plus years ago and started at everyone who faces or abuts her property about cutting down their trees. Hers are all gone now. This is a "tree" neighborhood with by-laws stating rules for cutting down trees over 6 inches in diameter. She called a lawyer who told her that cannot be inforced anymore. She has logorrhea. I just looked that up! Its an inability to stop talking. She is also a narcissist and everyone is out to get her! (Paranoid). Aren't I lucky?! So, she has run her mouth for years and established a provable verbal record among at least 5 neighbors (plus spouses). This record would establish motive if she has vandalized my property. I have a quarter acre city lot with a variety of tall (60-90 feet) maples, a cherry? tree and five dogwoods. There are probably 13 tall trees The affected trees are in different locations in my yard with healthy trees in between. There are four dogwoods together and about 15 years old....all healthy last year. One month after all other area dogwoods had leaves, one of mine is showing some signs of survival at the top.Two look dead and the fourth has some tiny buds that aren't growing. One is green if you bend a tiny branch. One maple, 35 feet from the dogwoods, has two trunks and one trunk looks dead up to the sky. Two other maples are on the opposite side of the yard,150 feet away or so.They are either dead or mostly dead to the sky, One same species maple is in between and it is healthy. They are 15 feet from her property line. There is no overhang into her property but the leaves do partially blow into her yard. (She is outside three to five times a day blowing them back onto the neighbors property.) There have been "words" between us as well as neighbors on the other side. I haven't spoken to the back neighbors yet but their trees are healthy. The backyard neighbors told her they would cut their trees down. So I think she has poured salt or another herbicide on my trees. I have googled everything to see how to kill trees and secretly. Salt is the answer, over and over. All damaged trees are in mulch beds with no grass near the trees so dead grass won't be a clue. I can find no cuts or slashes in the trunks. All other trees in the neighbors' yards and neighborhood are fine...except for a neighbors tree on the other side of her- she hates me and them too. SOOOOO, how do I find out if she has poured salt? I can get one free soil sample from the local extension bureau. How do I hit the right spot? Can any part of the tree show damage that would prove salt was the weapon? or another chemical? I feel like I have to test hundreds of samples and for what substance? She's a crafty woman , quite vindictive and quite smug....The damage done is definitely a felony if she did this. Any suggestions? First photo is dogwoodsView attachment 826713Next is Maple front right side of houseView attachment 826714Next is same tree-leftmost trunkView attachment 826715 next is maple trio-cluster on the left side of back yardView attachment 826716Next is leftmost tree of maple cluster View attachment 826717next is two of 5 trunks on large Maple multi trunk tree(S)View attachment 826718
Yes.
Get some game cameras to see what she is doing.
Is she coming on to your property?
I'd hate that.
I had a weirdo nosy neighbor walk through my property to see what I was cutting one day.
I own several acres of hardwoods and softwoods.
I would never trespass on his property if he were cutting down his own trees.
I asked if I could help him (as if the big chainsaw in my hands wasn't enough to scare him off or my 290 lb frame...lol)
I feel for you.
Get that video evidence, then go from there.

Early this May 2020, after all other trees in the area had leaves, I realized that 6-8 of my trees appeared fully or partially dead. I have a neighbor who is a fanatic about leaves and other tree "parts" landing in her yard. She moved in 2 plus years ago and started at everyone who faces or abuts her property about cutting down their trees. Hers are all gone now. This is a "tree" neighborhood with by-laws stating rules for cutting down trees over 6 inches in diameter. She called a lawyer who told her that cannot be inforced anymore. She has logorrhea. I just looked that up! Its an inability to stop talking. She is also a narcissist and everyone is out to get her! (Paranoid). Aren't I lucky?! So, she has run her mouth for years and established a provable verbal record among at least 5 neighbors (plus spouses). This record would establish motive if she has vandalized my property. I have a quarter acre city lot with a variety of tall (60-90 feet) maples, a cherry? tree and five dogwoods. There are probably 13 tall trees The affected trees are in different locations in my yard with healthy trees in between. There are four dogwoods together and about 15 years old....all healthy last year. One month after all other area dogwoods had leaves, one of mine is showing some signs of survival at the top.Two look dead and the fourth has some tiny buds that aren't growing. One is green if you bend a tiny branch. One maple, 35 feet from the dogwoods, has two trunks and one trunk looks dead up to the sky. Two other maples are on the opposite side of the yard,150 feet away or so.They are either dead or mostly dead to the sky, One same species maple is in between and it is healthy. They are 15 feet from her property line. There is no overhang into her property but the leaves do partially blow into her yard. (She is outside three to five times a day blowing them back onto the neighbors property.) There have been "words" between us as well as neighbors on the other side. I haven't spoken to the back neighbors yet but their trees are healthy. The backyard neighbors told her they would cut their trees down. So I think she has poured salt or another herbicide on my trees. I have googled everything to see how to kill trees and secretly. Salt is the answer, over and over. All damaged trees are in mulch beds with no grass near the trees so dead grass won't be a clue. I can find no cuts or slashes in the trunks. All other trees in the neighbors' yards and neighborhood are fine...except for a neighbors tree on the other side of her- she hates me and them too. SOOOOO, how do I find out if she has poured salt? I can get one free soil sample from the local extension bureau. How do I hit the right spot? Can any part of the tree show damage that would prove salt was the weapon? or another chemical? I feel like I have to test hundreds of samples and for what substance? She's a crafty woman , quite vindictive and quite smug....The damage done is definitely a felony if she did this. Any suggestions? First photo is dogwoodsView attachment 826713Next is Maple front right side of houseView attachment 826714Next is same tree-leftmost trunkView attachment 826715 next is maple trio-cluster on the left side of back yardView attachment 826716Next is leftmost tree of maple cluster View attachment 826717next is two of 5 trunks on large Maple multi trunk tree(S)View attachment 826718
Get a few of those game cameras to get picture or video evidence of her damaging your trees.
If you do get good evidence and it goes to court, then post signs facing her yard stating that video cameras are watching and maybe others stating no trespassing.

Been a consulting arborist in a salt damage claim. Two issues I have with OP's accusations. You need a lot of salt to burn the entire root zone. It would be very obvious salt was applied. Second all the grass in the contaminated area would be toast.

Back