Neighbors dead tree fell on my house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a battle right now I am having with my neighbor. My insurance stated neighboring trees needs to be removed or there will be no chance of insurance coverage. I have talked to him but nothing has happepened yet. I am not waiting just planning on filing suit and punitive damages ASAP. Thanks
Does your town/city have any provisions nowhere they can force removals? Many don't, but some do. If so, find out what that process is. And document it. If they determine it doesn't meet their threshold, ask for that in writing and send a copy to your insurance. (Insurance will go after them too if the tree does fail...)

If that isn't an option, have a TRAQ arborist evaluate the tree (from your property - unless you have permission). Get a written report. Have an attorney send (or maybe you Ins Co will?) a letter requesting removal for safety reasons based on the risk level of the report. Or send a copy of the report to insurance of it is deemed a "low risk" tree.

I skipped everything above. If someone already said this, I'm repeating. 4 generations and close to 50 years in the family tree business, licensed and insured in MD. You pay your insurance to cover your house. If the tree falls from the neighbors yard, your insurance covers it. Even if some wing nut, jack leg, fly by night idiot drops the tree on your house, your insurance covers it. If you had of gotten a licensed Tree Company to give you a written evaluation of the health of the tree, and sent it registered mail, to the owner or management company, your insurance would go after their insurance for reimbursement. Especially if you just sent the same letter to them every couple months. It may sound like a raw deal, but if you think about it. "YOU" Do pay to protect your house. You don't pay to insure your neighbors house. Even if you wanted to be a super nice neighbor, your insurance would not cover it, it's not what you pay for.

Back