Never Fell a tree before...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landfakers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Never fell a tree before in my life, mostly just scrounge downed hardwoods to help heat the house in the winter. Well call came down from the boss at work that we needed to clear out 28 pines before the end of the week, no time to call for a contractor and no budget. So off I went to the dealer and grabbed a MS362C with a 25" bar and some wedges(all our saws are smaller homeowner, we don't do much if any tree work, only storm cleanup), and went for it as safely as I thought I could. Trees ranged from 8" all the way up past 26" at the biggest across the stump. Area was pretty wide open so a great space to learn with marginal areas of hazard. Went pretty smoothly! No major mess up, one small plastic chair broken was out only casualty. Just one monster left to cut on monday
UXYrvK7.jpg

zE0TzVp.jpg

6DNP1gx.jpg

bcrdtuG.jpg

a8z9Rc8.jpg

l1YChoM.jpg

s6vGTfz.jpg

F8NhFMI.jpg

yIp4YBt.jpg

XJuqTh5.jpg

Dj1HfXS.jpg

nRU98lu.jpg

pyU0fO2.jpg

kTJNdgl.jpg

You did ok by getting everything down, but you really gotta pay attention to your felling cuts. You have way to many sloping cuts with stuff not lining up. That will get you into trouble. There are some really good lookin' stumps, and some really bad lookin' stumps.

hey, I do it too sometimes when I'm not paying enough attention..

cool that you were able to drop some trees!

You did ok by getting everything down, but you really gotta pay attention to your felling cuts. You have way to many sloping cuts with stuff not lining up. That will get you into trouble. There are some really good lookin' stumps, and some really bad lookin' stumps.

hey, I do it too sometimes when I'm not paying enough attention..

cool that you were able to drop some trees!
I agree, messed up some cuts for sure that could of been bad. My boss jumped in on a few of the trees and was doing some weird back cut I had never seen where he comes down at an angle. I’ve never seen that before and did all my back cuts trying to line up with the face as much as possible without being lower. A whole lot of room for improvement, I’m just glad nobody got injured and the wood is down

The first stump looks good. They should all be like that. That sloping back cut thing is not a proper cut. Some farmer came up with that and it caught on, lol. It's wrong. Just wrong.

i looked again. It looks like the facecuts are way too deep?! Or am I seeing things? 1/4 to a third.., not 2/3.

who owns the saw?

The first stump looks good. They should all be like that. That sloping back cut thing is not a proper cut. Some farmer came up with that and it caught on, lol. It's wrong. Just wrong.

who owns the saw?
That was my first cut! Wish they all looked like that
And yeah he is 62 and I’m sure not gonna change his way. He did that sloping back and one wouldn’t fall till we got the tractor over to push it, not exactly a great feeling staring at a cut tree standing there.

the place i work owns the saw, im a husky guy but this saw shredded the pine. very impressed

We've all had the "tree that wouldn't fall". Gotta hate that.

Looks like a good amount of cleanup to do!
Probably at least 3 days next week, needed to get everything down to make room for them to pace tennis courts. We can work it slow if need be from here. More brush than we know what to do with!

That was my first cut! Wish they all looked like that
And yeah he is 62 and I’m sure not gonna change his way. He did that sloping back and one wouldn’t fall till we got the tractor over to push it, not exactly a great feeling staring at a cut tree standing there.

the place i work owns the saw, im a husky guy but this saw shredded the pine. very impressed
You need to see picture of tree that barbered chaired on guy using that small of tractor. Tractor ended up hanging off ground on that tree by it's bucket.

If you are going to pick a tree for your first removal, pick one in the open! Good choice on your first one being in the open. :numberone:

Back