• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Never heard mention tamarack being used.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Addicted to ArboristSite
I know it makes good lumber. Rot resistant.

Tamarack means "snowshoe wood".

For whatever reason, doesn't grow much around here in the wild. There are a few patches about ~80 miles north.

NIP Group
Northerner

Northerner

ArboristSite Operative
It’s about all i have been using for last 5 years or so. About the best wood we have up here for firewood.
I do cut some boards as well, good for fencing, u just want to use them before completely dry or they warp and get tough to drive a nail through.

bfrazier

bfrazier

ArboristSite Operative
When I worked and lived in Washington and Oregon in the Umatilla District I sold many truck loads of it. Burns nice a all around good practical wood. Thanks
We had some of it down in the Heppner Ranger District too Ted, but our western tree is different than the eastern varieties. I don't know which is better, or how they are different fuel wise, but there are probably members who have lived in both places who could say. Ours (Western Larch - Larix occidentalis) are a big sturdy tree, straight, tall, heavily buttressed and reportedly can live to 900+ years. I saw one seven feet thick when I worked there Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon. Theirs (Tamarack, Larix laricina) is a much smaller tree, more like 24"DBH. I'm sure they are equally pretty in that time of the fall when they turn to gold - what a sight.

rustykfd

rustykfd

Amateur Arborist/Pro Saw User
My grandfather had a log truck load delivered to the farm every few years. It was his favorite wood. Grandma cooked on wood until she couldn’t cook anymore(died). I grew up splitting wood at the farm, might have been a little spoiled considering how well Tamarack splits. My stepdad made me split Russian Olive and Locust. I liked grandpa better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk