Never heard mention tamarack being used.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucksnbears

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had 10 cord delivered in 8 foot legnths.
Cut real nice and sure does burn nice with little ash. I'm digging it!
Anyone else burn it? Likes/ dislikes?

I know it makes good lumber. Rot resistant.

Tamarack means "snowshoe wood".

For whatever reason, doesn't grow much around here in the wild. There are a few patches about ~80 miles north.

I'm real impressed so far.
A real nice wood to cut n split.
I think the correct name is Eastern Larch?

It’s about all i have been using for last 5 years or so. About the best wood we have up here for firewood.
I do cut some boards as well, good for fencing, u just want to use them before completely dry or they warp and get tough to drive a nail through.

R4UnQOy.jpg

R3oUV7n.jpg

That was dead standing tamarack , now it's all blocked up for burning next fall :)

When I worked and lived in Washington and Oregon in the Umatilla District I sold many truck loads of it. Burns nice a all around good practical wood. Thanks
We had some of it down in the Heppner Ranger District too Ted, but our western tree is different than the eastern varieties. I don't know which is better, or how they are different fuel wise, but there are probably members who have lived in both places who could say. Ours (Western Larch - Larix occidentalis) are a big sturdy tree, straight, tall, heavily buttressed and reportedly can live to 900+ years. I saw one seven feet thick when I worked there Blue Mountains of Eastern Oregon. Theirs (Tamarack, Larix laricina) is a much smaller tree, more like 24"DBH. I'm sure they are equally pretty in that time of the fall when they turn to gold - what a sight.

We have a lot of Tamarack here but seldom use it for firewood. I’ll be felling big ones this summer to get them milled to use as flooring for the house. We have larix laricina here.

My grandfather had a log truck load delivered to the farm every few years. It was his favorite wood. Grandma cooked on wood until she couldn’t cook anymore(died). I grew up splitting wood at the farm, might have been a little spoiled considering how well Tamarack splits. My stepdad made me split Russian Olive and Locust. I liked grandpa better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back