New 036 Pro Owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffesonm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all - Brand new to chainsaws and bought a used 036 pro off craigslist. Looks like it was well taken care of and starts right up. Came with a 20" bar, several chains and a case. Also bought a brand new 180C with a 12" bar for limbing. I know, I know, the 036 is the liming saw but I am a homeowner cutting up stuff for firewood. Also bought chaps and a helmet.

Anyhow I've read all over here about the 036 and enlarging the muffler hole to no more than 80% exhaust port size. From what I've read this is worth the small effort in terms of freeing up some power, but will require I tune the carb. The saw could probably use a tune anyhow as it seems much less responsive in terms of revving up as compared to the 180C.

So my questions are, anything else I should do with this saw? Advice for a guy who's never tuned a 2-stroke carb? Anyone in central NJ want to show me how in exchange for some beer or something?

Also, how come all the menus/buttons/stuff on this forum are in Spanish?

welcome! First off scroll to the bottom of the page and in the second box click on the down arrow and select english. Second, I applaud you for getting the safety stuff right away. Third can't go wrong with one of Stihls best saws, should last you forever with firewood cutting.

I've got an old 036 that was modded a few years ago. We were bucking up with it a few days ago. Its a great old saw that just keeps on running.

You will have a good time with the 036.

Sam

Welcome, welcome!

Do some reading in the "stickies" section here. There you will find info on tuning along with many other things that will help you become acclimated to your saws and maintenance.

The 036 is a great saw. Just tuned one for a friend that had really low run time on it.

welcome! First off scroll to the bottom of the page and in the second box click on the down arrow and select english. Second, I applaud you for getting the safety stuff right away. Third can't go wrong with one of Stihls best saws, should last you forever with firewood cutting.

+1

There are a couple of good 036 rebuild threads that provide quite a bit of info on these saws if you do some searching. Main issue on older 036's was the clutch assembly which was beefed up on later models and is also available as an upgrade kit for earlier models.

Oh yeah, the rules...

Pics, or it didn't happen!

Welcome aboard.

FREE BEER??!! I'll be in the Mt. Laurel area next week for business, that close to you? I'll be sitting in a hotel after 5pm every night for the entire week... do I want to run a saw and drink beer... why hell yes!!

They are great saws. Lots of woods behind the hotel to test on, done it a couple times already!

Good video of saw tuning, I had a hard time hearing the sound on the other video posted.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/113538.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the links and advice everyone. I will try tuning the carb and see how it goes here.

Also thanks for the offer watson but Mt Laurel is not very close to me.

I have two of the Stihl 036 and really like them. They run great.

The part number for the clutch drum upgrade is 1125-007-1041. Baileys 40.00
This newer clutch drum has a larger bearing which was a failure point on earlier saws. You may have the newer one already the difference is the bearing size, one is 13mm and the newer one is 16mm. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back