• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell NEW 2022 BUILD HUSQVARNA 3120XP CHAINSAW POWERHEAD $1699 USD SHIPPED

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon my ignorance, but do you use the same bar for bucking/falling as well as milling? I know a ripping chain is best used for milling purposes versus a regular one but can you buck and fell using a ripping chain as well or do I need to get multiple bars and multiple chains for multiple purposes? Thanks

As Dave said, the same bars are fine for Falling, Bucking and Milling, but I have been Happy so far just using a Full skip chain for milling as well.

I haven't tried a ripping chain yet milling to compare the difference. Technique is as important as chain. Most find it more comfortable to mill with the bar at a slight angle, rather than perfectly perpendicular to the log, typically with the Nose of the bar slightly leading the powerhead. what is important, is to pick an angle and hold it consistent, NOT sesawing the nose and powerhead back and forth while milling, that can leave marks

Doug :cheers:

Just received my new 3120xp from Dave. Outstanding! 7 days from Vancouver to South Georgia. Great (and patient) guy to deal with.

EDIT: five pulls out of the box w choke wide open. nothing. closed to half choke. Bang. Closed choke. Start and run

immediate: Hot start first pull.
15 minutes: Warm start. First Pull start
30 minutes: luke warm start. First pull start

2 hours. Once again, didn't like full choke. Banged immediately when reduced to half choke.

Just received my new 3120xp from Dave. Outstanding! 7 days from Vancouver to South Georgia. Great (and patient) guy to deal with.

EDIT: five pulls out of the box w choke wide open. nothing. closed to half choke. Bang. Closed choke. Start and run

immediate: Hot start first pull.
15 minutes: Warm start. First Pull start
30 minutes: luke warm start. First pull start

2 hours. Once again, didn't like full choke. Banged immediately when reduced to half choke.

With my 3120XP, I don't use Choke AND Throttle Lock, it will flood every time. That is what the Manual says to do, and what my 266XP Likes, but NOT My 3120XP.

2-3 pulls With Choke, NO Throttle Lock, she will Snort, then 2-3 pulls with the Choke OFF, and you will wake people in the next County

Once I figured out what my saw Likes, it has been an easy starting saw

Regardless of what a BIASED, STIHL MECHANIC might say, MY 3120XP has performed FLAWLESSLY, and I have yet to hear anyone else, question the reliability of the 3120XP, LOTS of Complimentary posts about these saws, only a Stihl Mechanic, Trash Talkin them, kinda makes you say, Hmmmm:innocent:

Doug :cheers:

Back