New 550xp mark II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the opinion on the MK-II throttle response? I have a early 550 & its noticeable being that it spools up FAST! I hope the new model is similar, my MS261's are fairly sluggish spooling up in comparison.

Why couldn’t you swap the top end from a mark 2 to an original? Are the flange mounts different on the case? Stroke is the same?
If they are the same that’s a start, but you would probably need intake boot, muffler, and top cover.
I know muffler mounts to case are in different positions but maybe they could be drilled?

I also am curious as to what carb the mk2 uses, is it an actual walbro this time or a zama?

If anyone has a mk2 and wants to take the time to read the number on the side of the carb that would be awesome. If you can’t see it without removal an adjustable mirror may do the trick?

I just picked up a 550 Mark ll from Ashokan Turf & Timber about three weeks ago. Set up with an 18" Versa Cut lightweight bar and LPX chain. I've been absolutely stunned by it's performance! Acceleration is near instantaneous. Power for 50cc is superb. So far, I've used it for everything... not getting any younger, so the other saws are just for foolin' around at this point.

The 550 is all the saw I need... I couldn't be more pleased with it!

41N4xtH.jpg

41N4xtH

+1

Cutting cookies with a stopwatch doesn't reflect real world use. IMO that's where the difference between the MS261 and 550xp really shrinks. While the MS261 is noticably stronger and lighter, the size is ridiculous for a 50cc.
The opposite is true in the 70cc class. In the woods, the MS462 is definitely preferred over the 572xp with all the crews I know that run both.
What is going on with Husqvarna? Stihl is definitely on top right now with lighter, faster, stronger saws across the board.
Each went different ways. Stihl used thinner lighter p/c. Lighter crank, more plastic to cut weight. Husqvarna went opposite way, heavier bearings and crank, increased torque over Stihl and can pull longer bars.

I think both Stihl and Husky got caught with their pants down, and didn't know how to actually desighn anything truly new. Husky tried to keep things light and compact, didn't work so well, + too much outsourcing of low-grade components and poor quality control. Changing too much all at once. Stihl tried to make make things like they always did, made some of their early Strato saws pigs, and with some models messy in design.. Both companies are/will find the middle ground.

I can say my 572 is overbuilt, like they almost didn't care where the end weight wound up. The 462 I only had a chance to look over, but it's built light, and is fast. In the end which ever model runs will be what matters to the guys out in the woods.

I think both Stihl and Husky got caught with their pants down, and didn't know how to actually desighn anything truly new. Husky tried to keep things light and compact, didn't work so well, + too much outsourcing of low-grade components and poor quality control. Changing too much all at once. Stihl tried to make make things like they always did, made some of their early Strato saws pigs, and with some models messy in design.. Both companies are/will find the middle ground.

I can say my 572 is overbuilt, like they almost didn't care where the end weight wound up. The 462 I only had a chance to look over, but it's built light, and is fast. In the end which ever model runs will be what matters to the guys out in the woods.
I think if both companies put their ideas together they could come up with a heck of a saw. But on the other hand you know how those Germans are, they think they are always right and just want to argue with everyone else.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back