New 550xp mark II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like none of the starter cover screws are directly behind the bar, you know like they've always been a bit hard to get to, not sure I like that! #bringbacktheoldsaws

Just kidding, I like it but wonder why they continue with autotune instead of going for fuel injection?

I have always been a fan of Husqvarna saws. I still have the first one I bought in 1985. I have wanted a 550xp since they came out but have never been able to fit it in my budget. I was impressed by their speed, power and light weight. The mark 2 may be a better, more powerful saw but the added weight makes me not want one. I would buy the Stihl instead.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have always been a fan of Husqvarna saws. I still have the first one I bought in 1985. I have wanted a 550xp since they came out but have never been able to fit it in my budget. I was impressed by their speed, power and light weight. The mark 2 may be a better, more powerful saw but the added weight makes me not want one. I would buy the Stihl instead.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ya, I've also been on the edge and was considering getting a new 550xp this spring (also want a 462 c-m but could buy 2 550's for that hefty price).

I will be interested to hear/see how great this new version is but with it being so close in weight to my 562xp, I may also go with a 261 cm instead. I've used a buddies new version 261 cm and it felt light and nimble and cut pretty well, but it definitely didn't have the balls of the 562xp nor should it have had. Will be interested to see how this new saw measures up and if it comes much closer to the 562xp.

I run all Stihls with a Dolmar or two thrown in the mix so I hit the diversity quota.

I will have to say the V1 550 and 562 are outstanding cutters, albeit with hot start issues. If Husqvarna solved that alone with the V2s then I may pick one up. The rest of my family runs mostly Hooskies and give me hell for my creamsicles...

I may have to have to take a dip on the darkside.

:chop:

The knock against Dolmar/Makita in 50cc range, has been the extra weight and I'm sure that costs them in sales. I don't think there is any denying that weight/form factor has played a big part in Husky's success in the 50cc class.

Husky appears to be taking a gamble on this saw by giving up the weight advantage, especially now that Stihl will finally move into the low weight lead with a 10.8 lb 50cc saw. I can only assume Husky's confidence in the new 550xp MKII means the new saw is outstanding in so many ways, that they believe buyers will be prepared to overlook the extra weight.

For me, this new saw, being closer to the weight of a 562xp, will either be so good that I won't need my 562xp anymore, or it will fall short of being able to replace the 562 and I'll still want something lighter to better compliment. I would be more confident in their decision to forego their weight advantage, if they had managed to make this new 11.69 lbs saw come in at 54cc/55cc.

Time will tell.

I think the Echo cs501p has the lightest weight..?

My Dolmar 5105 has suddenly become not so heavy : ). But it’s still fat : (

Good 50cc saws of 25 or more years ago were in the 11lb range with quite similar power.

Very little, if any, progress has been made.

Husqvarna needs to get their **** together.

All that being said, that new 550 might be a very nice saw to own. I hope it proves out well. We’ll know in a year or two.

I stand corrected :yes: Echo cs501p - 10.4 lbs

I'll re-phrase . . . of the 2 leading saw brands, Stihl 261 c-m will take over the low weight advantage.

Any ETA's on when they will start showing up? Dealers around me have not heard any details yet. Guessing there is some V1 550xp stock to sell through for a while yet.

Might start to see some Spring v1 550xp sales if old stock starts to sit too long.

Very little, if any, progress has been made.
The problem is part by design. A two stroke can only be optimised so far. They where done enginering that part 40 years ago.
The only way to make more power from the same cc's is for example a different fuel or more rpm.
Different fuel is hard to sell.
Maybe doable with an apple logo.
Even higher RPM and sticking to the same durability, it get's expensive real quick.
The only thing to do is making it lighter.
Maybe whats being done with carbon fiber in cars, but optimised for the abuse a chainsaw gets.
I agree with the above statements that being havier than the predecesor is risky/stupid. I would now be looking at a 543xp instead.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Something else that has me scratching my head.

With such a STRONG marketing push about the FAR GREATER ENDURANCE and complete revamp in V2 550xp saws (see video top of page 1 this thread), does this mean current V1 purchasers should still expect problems down the road? This new V2 saw has not seen fit to keep much of anything from V1 saws.

What is the status of the current V1 autotune and carb setup now? Are owners still experiencing hot start, bogging issues or lean run issues after all these years?

My 562xp had it's problems but is rock solid these days. Starts easily hot or cold.

Any feedback from current V1 2018 model owners is appreciated.

Something else that has me scratching my head.

With such a STRONG marketing push about the FAR GREATER ENDURANCE and complete revamp in V2 550xp saws (see video top of page 1 this thread), does this mean current V1 purchasers should still expect problems down the road? This new V2 saw has not seen fit to keep much of anything from V1 saws.

What is the status of the current V1 autotune and carb setup now? Are owners still experiencing hot start, bogging issues or lean run issues after all these years?

My 562xp had it's problems but is rock solid these days. Starts easily hot or cold.

Any feedback from current V1 2018 model owners is appreciated.
I think mine is a 2016, I'm not the least bit concerned! I've also had a 562 since 2012 & not a single issue. It's been 7 or 8 years since these models came out, so in the name of evolution or whatever it's just time for a change.​

I agree with the above statements that being havier than the predecesor is risky/stupid. I would now be looking at a 543xp instead
well, I can handle the extra weight if the mk2 has superb ergonomic, Husqvarna rarerly fail with their pro 50 and 60cc saws.
550 xpg mk2 has a weight of 5.5kg, hopefully we'll see a real pro 42cc saw again, not that wannabe xp saw they're trying to sell nowadays.

From what I can see of the cylinder they did some things that I do when porting these things, they're watching!
yup Andre, I like what I see.

IMHO the 550, 545, 550 and 562 were not thoroughly tested designs that were rushed out the door. Something internally also occurred within Husqvarna to cause such a decline in quality control, and at a very critical time too. I personally consider them all failures.

How dare you!

The 550xp is the greatest saw that has ever been made. Or at least that's what I'm told.

Nothing new here, Husky still has a great two saw plan, a 50 and a 70 that should pair up great for all your cutting needs(you'll run the 550 longer before needing to grab the 572).
I can't see where the market will be shifting all to stihl products based on weight alone as dealer support plays a major part in that as well. Great that a bunch of enthusiast want the best power to weight(I know I do), but I think and the end of the day those who are footing the bill want the best overall value and service not the lightest saw. Will they loose a few sales maybe, but I don't think it will be a deal breaker.
I'd buy one myself, yes it's a bit heavier, but it has more power and it gets even more CPT(Cuts Per Tank), that's what I'm talking about. I've always been a proponent of the mtronic/autotune saws as far as fuel efficiency, the more cuts I get out of a tank the more I get done. The 246 is a great saw, the 346 is better, but the 550 will out cut both cutting cookies as well as continue to cut after they've both ran out of fuel, sorry guys. Don't get me wrong, I still like the "old iron" so I made sure I was covered either way as the old tech typically rescues the new tech, but for real work the new is typically where it's at.
Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 12.01.40 AM.png

Latest posts

Back