New 550xp mark II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nearly a full pound heavier than the MS261?! That's significant and can't be overlooked.

@Overkill338 Changes to Husky's problematic 50cc and 60cc saws has nothing to do with Stihl's 70cc saws. They're simply trying to fix known problems.

I was just taking a stab at it. I'm not up to date on Huskys

Stihl already had that crown. The newest 261 was already lighter than the 550.
Too bad the newest 261 didn't feel any lighter in hand to me. Actual weight is great for getting an idea, but I've noticed perceived weight and actual weight don't always correspond.
Much like one saw will appear faster to an operator, but in actuality it's slower and that can be seen easily if you watch a video of that operator running both saws.

V1 550xp - Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 10.8 lbs
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/550-xp/966648181/

Stihl 261 c-m - Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 4.9 kg = 10.8 lbs
https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...insaws-for-forestry/22254-131/MS-261-C-M.aspx

Am I missing something?
I don't think that number is accurate for the 550. IIRC they're heavier than the 346.

261%20Empty-L.jpg

346%20Empty-L.jpg

Stihl already had that crown. The newest 261 was already lighter than the 550.

He's saying the 261 'felt' heavier. It did for me too. It's also physically larger.

I get that Chipper is saying 550 feels lighter to him, but I was responding to Brad's point I've quoted in bold here again.

He's saying the 261 'felt' heavier. It did for me too. It's also physically lar ger.
I was, brad wasn't.
Makes it easier to follow a conversation when people quote the person they are talking to as not everyone understands what I'm thinking lol.
I think many times people won't do that because they are afraid someone's feelings will get hurt or something lol.
I like that Brad at least included part of the post he was responding to in his response which does help make things clearer.
Regardless I wasn't impressed with the 261cm vsII, it's just another modern day 50cc saw, if it was lighter and had more useable power for running an 18x325 then I may have kept it around. I didn't buy that one to sell, but I let it go pretty quick once I realize there was no advantage to it over the 50cc huskys I had at the time.

I don't think that number is accurate for the 550. IIRC they're heavier than the 346.

261%20Empty-L.jpg

346%20Empty-L.jpg
That's hard to believe you took 1.5lbs out of that cylinder brad lol.
I still like the handling of the 346/550 better. The 241 with a picco setup is a good bit lighter and I run a ported one and a stock ms201cm rear handle for my smaller/baby saws.

What would you cut with a boat anchor?
:D my hands

... your point about balance, which is also a selling point being put forward by Husky for the 550xp MkII, makes some sense, but as mentioned in my earlier posts on a different page, the more hours on my body clock, the more I not only appreciate good balance/ergonomics, but also light weight. In my book, both are equally important. The mixture of power, low weight, slim form factor and excellent balance, is the reason I purchased a 562xp with a 20" Tsumura light and tough bar some years back, instead of a 365.

Back