New 550xp mark II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless I wasn't impressed with the 261cm vsII, it's just another modern day 50cc saw, if it was lighter and had more useable power for running an 18x325 then I may have kept it around. I didn't buy that one to sell, but I let it go pretty quick once I realize there was no advantage to it over the 50cc huskys I had at the time.
Now I'm confused. The MS261 is the lightest saw in it's class, and by a fair margin. I can't say so definitively, but I suspect the power is equal to or better than a 550XP as well. If you want to discuss handling, I understand that. Just for the record, I still have a 346XP and a MS241. I sold both my MS261 and 550XP.

Now I'm confused. The MS261 is the lightest saw in it's class, and by a fair margin. I can't say so definitively, but I suspect the power is equal to or better than a 550XP as well. If you want to discuss handling, I understand that. Just for the record, I still have a 346XP and a MS241. I sold both my MS261 and 550XP.
Sorry I should have said felt lighter, as for power with an 18 in 10-12" wood it's not much of a difference between the two contenders(actual specs on the stihl are 4hp), lots of other areas that are more crucial to making good time. I do prefer the handling of the huskys and for me the 50cc class is the most important for balance/handling. When your ready to get rid of that slow 346 feel free to give me a shout :D, it's still my favorite firewooding saw.

Ya I'm mystified why they would hand Stihl the leading brand light weight 50cc crown.

Hoping they don't add another pound to the 562 in its re-design.
Because they had to build a new improved saw not plagued with heat soak issues which compromised other components like bearings, AT etc. The 5 series saws that had problems could not really be fixed as the problems weren't with a particular part, it was inherent in the design so Husky are changing that. Had it been tested properly and a few changes been made prior to its release it would have without doubt been the best 50cc pro saw ever created & that's coming from someone who is far from a Husky fan. Good specs & performance is heavily tarnished if reliability is no good, doesn't matter how great it runs if you don't l know whether it'll get through the days work. Pro's need & will take dependibility first & foremost. What will be interesting is in a couple of years what the updated MKII 550xp will be like, it may well shed some weight when reliability is proven & tested. My guess is this new MKII will be slightly 'overbuilt' as the OEM ain't taking any chances in an attempt to regain reputation. Ultimately this is speculation & time will tell.

Because they had to build a new improved saw not plagued with heat soak issues which compromised other components like bearings, AT etc. The 5 series saws that had problems could not really be fixed as the problems weren't with a particular part, it was inherent in the design so Husky are changing that. Had it been tested properly and a few changes been made prior to its release it would have without doubt been the best 50cc pro saw ever created & that's coming from someone who is far from a Husky fan. Good specs & performance is heavily tarnished if reliability is no good, doesn't matter how great it runs if you don't l know whether it'll get through the days work. Pro's need & will take dependibility first & foremost. What will be interesting is in a couple of years what the updated MKII 550xp will be like, it may well shed some weight when reliability is proven & tested. My guess is this new MKII will be slightly 'overbuilt' as the OEM ain't taking any chances in an attempt to regain reputation. Ultimately this is speculation & time will tell.

... that's an interesting and thorough explanation, however it misses 2 of my key points, namely:

1) if the V1 550xp only needed a few changes as you've stated, then why did they feel it necessary to do a complete redesign, top to bottom changes, and not retain their light weight? Have they perhaps gone too far in their quest to focus on endurance at the expense of extra weight?

2) if Stihl can make a reliable 50 cc saw at 10.8 lbs, why can't Husky?

To this last point, you might answer ... the jury is still out on the 261 c-m. Well that may yet prove to be the case, but if the Stihl does continue to hold up longer term as it seems to be doing, then my 2nd point still holds water.

For the record, I am long time Husky (346xp/562xp) user and do hope this works out for them, I'm just sorry to see Husky 500 series lose their low weight status, and *possibly me as a customer. I liked driving the 261 c-m, but didn't love it. I would prefer to buy a 10.8 lb Husky 50cc but with all this talk of needing a complete re-design, confidence in the V1 550 has waned.

While I'd rather be out cutting wood, the weather is not co-operating and saw talk is as close as I can get. It's a nice diversion from daily responsibilities ;) and yes I agree, any talk about what may happen in the future is speculation, but ain't that half the fun.:cheers:

While 550xp sure left a sour orange taste in my mouth, it's probably the best feeling handling saw I've ever had my hands. Still like the 346 better though, simple good design, plus you can replace part without having to have them reprogrammed lol.

NOT happening! :) The 346 is the saw that opened my eyes to Husky performance. I LOVE my 346, 372, and 390!
Can you blame a guy for trying :D. My first pro saw was a 346, probably why I'm partial to the handling of them, if it would have been a 260, maybe I'd like the stihls better, but probably not :laugh:.

Yah , just get yourself one of these mighty-mites .... GAME OVER! ... hard maple test wood ... no “Ohio hardwood “ used in video lol !!!

I see the 550xp mark II is available now in Canada.
Anyone ran one yet who has also run the 261 c-m?
feedback?
thanks
I saw one listed at a large dealer here last week, I called and they aren't expecting them for another month, I was a bit let down as I was on their "inventory" page o_O. I will say for the price theres a good chance I'll grab one up this summer. They did have the 572 in stock :happy:.

While 550xp sure left a sour orange taste in my mouth, it's probably the best feeling handling saw I've ever had my hands. Still like the 346 better though, simple good design, plus you can replace part without having to have them reprogrammed lol.
Glad mine have left a good taste in my mouth :sweet:. Yes, they handle very nice and have great power, it's made it easy to sell the 346's as long as I have a couple still around.

I can download software and look deep into my PC
I can flash the bios in my PC

I can dig deep into my router's OS
I can flash the bios in my router

I can run an OBDII scanner on my vehicles
I can troubleshoot error codes and find solutions fast

YET, I am not allowed to look under the electrical hood of my 562xp software :(

Sure be nice if the average joe could at least keep the saw software up to date and peek at the technicals!

I can download software and look deep into my PC
I can flash the bios in my PC

I can dig deep into my router's OS
I can flash the bios in my router

I can run an OBDII scanner on my vehicles
I can troubleshoot error codes and find solutions fast

YET, I am not allowed to look under the electrical hood of my 562xp software :(

Sure be nice if the average joe could at least keep the saw software up to date and peek at the technicals!
I was going to buy the autotune tool and SW and then read you have to have an active dealer login for it to work. It's not like you can change settings and hose the saw. WTF! Annoying.

Not seeing a lot of interchangeability. Changed the sprocket cover finish from shiny to matte maybe more durable finish that won’t wear off as quickly ?
View attachment 724588 Cases and even the muffler is different View attachment 724587even
Looks great, only thing is will it handle as well, looks like the cylinder is standing up straighter.
Lots of room under the muffler for airflow too.
Is the clutch cover plastic or metal.
The rest of the saw looks to be in the matte finish on all the grey parts as well :rock:.

Back