New 60cc saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no echo dealers around me to go look at them. do they limiters on the carb adjuster? I ask because I currently live around 4k elevation and sometimes cut around 7k. I'll also probably be moving back to the east coast in a year where my cutting will all be below 2k.
Yes but easy to remove
I used very small pliers to turn and remove the plastic limiters.
Most do the sheetrock screw and pull method.
I trimmed the deflector and retuned
Very easy to do.
I'm not a brand guy whoever makes it and it does the job i like it.
I prefer the 372s or 461 for felling
But a 60cc is a good all around choice.

for the echo guys. how about a 620 or 680. still cheaper than the ms362 and others, but way more saw by stats. are they as good as the 590? looked at the dry weights and the 028 super weighs more loaded and ready to cut. weight doesn't bother me. it's going to be maybe a five day a week saw for a few weeks a year. I just look at the property models for the repairability factor and I can use equipment hard at times.

I completely understand that, and I'm really leaning towards that because I'd like to have whichever saw I buy still be serviceable in 30 years like the one I got from my father. Dealer support I don't worry about too much. with the service manuals and ipl's these saws don't seem all that complicated to fix. But I do really want something that will be around for a while.

I'll chime in on the echo stuff.

The 680 is largely unchanged from the 6700 which it evolved from. The 6700 is roughly a 30 year old design so if echo continues that trend the 590-620 parts shouldn't be hard to get down the rd.

The 620 is the "pro" version of the 590. More aggressive port timing, 2 ring piston, unlimited coil, larger carb, rim sprocket set up, mag clutch cover.

As said above the 680 is a proven design, little heavy for the cc but a quality well built saw. Don't think it can match the 620 till the bars get over 28" buried. Still the 620 is lighter/more nimble and better antivibe imo

Neither saws use proprietary bearings. Just plain 6202 c3

Of the pro features of the 620 justify the price difference over the 590 to you. That would be my choice. You can get the 620 with a 20" bar for under 550$ if you shop around.

Just my 2 cents

IMG_20180108_212155287.jpg

Not to be that guy......... But the echo wins. I have both and the stihl is getting sold. The echo is going to stay with me. The cs600 just out does the ms362.

I also have a 680 but that's in a whole different class. And a whole lot heavier. But will run a 24 inch bar like nothing and doesn't mind a occasional 32. The only downside to the 680 that I have found is. The brake setup sucks.

Steven

CS620P with wrap handle bar & 20" Tsumura FTW. 24" bars don't belong on 60cc saws where I come from but....each to there own.
He's cutting old dead pine and your in Aussie hard woods huge difference. If he was on the east coast cutting hard wood all the time I'd say get a 70cc saw for a 24. IMG_20171216_104718.jpgI understand what your saying. This is an 036 with a 25 on a huge oak the local tree service brought me. Its not optimal but it gets the job done. In dead pine it would happily pull that bar all day.

I think you guys might have sold me on a cs620. I can find it the cheapest with a 24" b/c. How do they perform with those?
If you're not opposed to buying used, do a local search in your area. Facebook, Craigslist etc. Echo doesn't have quite the resale value of other brands. That makes it a good buyers market. I see 590s all the time. You could probably get one for $200-$250. Also seen 680s for less than $400. Of course you'd need to inspect them first. Most of the ones I've seen appear to have very little use.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"028 did an admirable job on that tree, but it was slow cutting not overworking that saw. It was also running rich due to me being paranoid of blowing it up from being to lean."

I get the impression that you're scared you will hurt your 028. I'm not familiar with your 028 rebuild thread but would like to suggest if you put good parts back in it, tune it properly, make sure your chains are sharp, open it up and LET IT EAT!

Since you people think so lowly of the MS362 I volunteer to find yours a new home for free. I am even ready to pay shipping but you can leave them in a paper bag behind Burger World after dark... :D
Certainly no Stihl bashing from me. I like them all!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

They both have their pros and cons. But honestly I just like the echo better. The 362 top handle feels cheap and flimsy, filppy caps suck, it's mega loud even when stock and is twice the price.
The up side to the stihl is better resale and you can add much better felling dogs easily.
But running them side by side I am disappointed in the 362. And the more I run them. The more I like the echo.

Now @Duce had to go and throw the 562 in the mix. And for me. That's my favorite. I just can't justify buying yet another 60cc saw. But I really like that it uses the same d009 mount as most of my other saws. And it balances perfect. And it runs like a 70cc saw. Damnit duce...... I my have to buy another saw now. Thanks alot.

Steven

"028 did an admirable job on that tree, but it was slow cutting not overworking that saw. It was also running rich due to me being paranoid of blowing it up from being to lean."

I get the impression that you're scared you will hurt your 028. I'm not familiar with your 028 rebuild thread but would like to say that if you put good parts back in it, then tune it properly, make sure your chains are sharp, open it up and LET IT EAT!
I know I was running way under potential and I was paranoid about burning it up. It had been over a year since I'd run it and tuned the carb. Add to that I was in cold Wyoming air 6500' higher in elevation than I've ever run that saw before and I just didn't dare lean it out too much. Since then I've watched some more videos on carb tuning and read a bunch of the old threads I did the last time and I know I could do better.

I also want a bigger saw for bigger wood. even running great the old 028 would have been at it's limit bucking the base of that tree.

Link to old build thread just because: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-028-super-troubles.263136/

Back