New 60cc saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I was running way under potential and I was paranoid about burning it up. It had been over a year since I'd run it and tuned the carb. Add to that I was in cold Wyoming air 6500' higher in elevation than I've ever run that saw before and I just didn't dare lean it out too much. Since then I've watched some more videos on carb tuning and read a bunch of the old threads I did the last time and I know I could do better.

I also want a bigger saw for bigger wood. even running great the old 028 would have been at it's limit bucking the base of that tree.

Link to old build thread just because: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-028-super-troubles.263136/

Where at in WY?

The beautiful Wyoming range. I've brought home lots of mule deer, elk, and firewood from the mountains west of big piney. I live just outside of pinedale, about a half hour from big piney.

Beautiful up there too. Love the wind rivers. Driven along both edges and crossed them at Union pass. That Western part of Wyoming is my favorite place in this country. Hope to retire in that area some day.

It is nice. I've lived my whole life in western Wyoming, and never had the urge to live anywhere else. I've been to a lot of the country, but the high desert and mountains of wyoming are in my blood for good.

I have an O39 I bought slightly used in about 1992 and it's an amazing saw. I probably get it out about twice a year. I used it a good bit a few weeks ago and as usual it amazed me with it's power. That's a 20" bar and the chain was either new or just sharpened. You can see the piles of chips.

ETA, totally stock saw. No mods. I'm after long life and finishing a cut in 10 seconds less time is irrelevant to me.

DZ4ELJE.jpg

frDTztY.jpg

362 m tronic ftw . They're awesome saws and built very well. 361 is also sweet and I've owned one and loved it. But that m tronic is hard to beat. I love not having to tinker with the carb all the time honestly. Get it and do a muff mod on it and you'll be happy.
My second choice would be husky 562xp. Also a sweet beast.
When I plan to buy something that I'm going to plan on having for 30 years, I'm going to spend what I have to to get exactly what I want.

no echo dealers around me to go look at them. do they limiters on the carb adjuster? I ask because I currently live around 4k elevation and sometimes cut around 7k. I'll also probably be moving back to the east coast in a year where my cutting will all be below 2k.

Deane Hartford, I'm in Utah as well and I picked up a Echo cs-590 for my son from HOME DEPOT $400. I have the Stihl 036 and all I can say is I am VERY impressed with the Echo cs-590 (Timberwolf). Yes they have limiters but it takes about 20 seconds to take care of that.

I bought the saw for a economical take to deer/elk hunt camp (before giving it to my son) and not give a crap if it got stolen. It took one time of using that saw to show me it is a saw that is well worth it's price. Had I known that I would of liked it so much I would have probably bought the cs-600.

cs-590----------------------cs-600
plastic side cover----------mag side cover
plastic front handle--------metal front handle (on some)
spur sprocket--------------rim and drum
NOT 100% sure on this but believe the cs-600 has a bar with replaceable tip where cs-590 doesn't.

With that said I have replaced the side cover with mag and replaced the spur sprocket with a rim/drum. The front handle is still plastic but I am sure for absolutely no good reason I will change it to a metal one.

I also replaced the bar and chain with a Sugihara light weight bar and put a Oregon LGX chain on it. All this AFTER the hunt, there was nothing wrong with the way it ran before I changed anything on it so don't feel that it would need it, it doesn't, I'm just an idiot and do stuff for no good reason :crazy2:

Deane Hartford, I'm in Utah as well and I picked up a Echo cs-590 for my son from HOME DEPOT $400. I have the Stihl 036 and all I can say is I am VERY impressed with the Echo cs-590 (Timberwolf). Yes they have limiters but it takes about 20 seconds to take care of that.

I bought the saw for a economical take to deer/elk hunt camp (before giving it to my son) and not give a crap if it got stolen. It took one time of using that saw to show me it is a saw that is well worth it's price. Had I known that I would of liked it so much I would have probably bought the cs-600.

cs-590----------------------cs-600
plastic side cover----------mag side cover
plastic front handle--------metal front handle (on some)
spur sprocket--------------rim and drum
NOT 100% sure on this but believe the cs-600 has a bar with replaceable tip where cs-590 doesn't.

With that said I have replaced the side cover with mag and replaced the spur sprocket with a rim/drum. The front handle is still plastic but I am sure for absolutely no good reason I will change it to a metal one.

I also replaced the bar and chain with a Sugihara light weight bar and put a Oregon LGX chain on it. All this AFTER the hunt, there was nothing wrong with the way it ran before I changed anything on it so don't feel that it would need it, it doesn't, I'm just an idiot and do stuff for no good reason :crazy2:
The 590 to 600 really isn't worth the price jump. Now if I found a 620 my 590 would quickly become a back up to it.

I'm definitely leaning towards an echo at this point. I found out there actually are dealers close to me. For some reason the dealer locator wouldn't show anything when I put my zip code in, but when I went to buy saw now it brought up some dealers scattered about ten miles around me. Going to go looking tomorrow. Might buy one if can get an online price matched. I don't want to cut any wood for a while though. Prefer to wait till warmer weather.

I'm definitely leaning towards an echo at this point. I found out there actually are dealers close to me. For some reason the dealer locator wouldn't show anything when I put my zip code in, but when I went to buy saw now it brought up some dealers scattered about ten miles around me. Going to go looking tomorrow. Might buy one if can get an online price matched. I don't want to cut any wood for a while though. Prefer to wait till warmer weather.
If you can wait until their customer appreciation days sale at a dealer near you, you can get 20% off.

Went into the closest local echo dealers today before work. Looked at the shelf and they don't have a 620, all 550's and lower. Went and asked if they had one not on the shelf and how much they charge for one.

That's when the guy went on a sales pitch for Stihl. They are also a Stihl dealer. Told me echo didn't make the 620 anymore and tried selling me a ms311. Asked about the size bar I planned to run and told me that the 311 would do a 28" if I wanted.

Said no and that I'd rather run a pro class. Then he pointed to the 362 and said that was the smallest pro Stihl makes and that it "ripped" and would rune with a 35" bar if ever wanted to go that big.

That's when I thanked him for his time and said I wanted to think it over and I'd be back another day. We just got put on a bunch of overtime here at work so I'm just going to wait till spring, save the overtime money and see what happens this spring.

I want to thank you all for the advice.

Went into the closest local echo dealers today before work. Looked at the shelf and they don't have a 620, all 550's and lower. Went and asked if they had one not on the shelf and how much they charge for one.

That's when the guy went on a sales pitch for Stihl. They are also a Stihl dealer. Told me echo didn't make the 620 anymore and tried selling me a ms311. Asked about the size bar I planned to run and told me that the 311 would do a 28" if I wanted.

Said no and that I'd rather run a pro class. Then he pointed to the 362 and said that was the smallest pro Stihl makes and that it "ripped" and would rune with a 35" bar if ever wanted to go that big.

That's when I thanked him for his time and said I wanted to think it over and I'd be back another day. We just got put on a bunch of overtime here at work so I'm just going to wait till spring, save the overtime money and see what happens this spring.

The 620 is still listed on the Echo website. Maybe @Rockjock or @fordf150 can answer, they’re Echo dealers.

The 620 is still listed on the Echo website. Maybe @Rockjock or @fordf150 can answer, they’re Echo dealers.

Yeah, this guy was trying really hard to sell a Stihl. He just didn't really know much about the saws. I haven't looked at saws and specs much for a few years, but I could smell the manure he was shoveling.

I had a similar experience at one of the local dealers who pedals both Echo & Stihl. "Why do you want Echo? Stihl makes better equipment." I left.

I have a feeling that they only try to sell the Echo stuff when the customer sees the Stihl prices and is about to walk out the door -- "we do have a less expensive option here. Take a look at the Echo line..." I wonder if they make a higher profit margin or commission on Stihl than they do on Echo.

For the most part, women are shoppers. They like to look around and play customer. Men are buyers. By the time they walk into a store, their minds are already made up and they know exactly what they want. They walk into a store, grab what they want from the shelf, pay for it, and leave. When the customer comes through the door and wants to buy something that you are selling, sell the customer what he wants. When the customer comes in looking for a solution to a problem and doesn't know what the solution is, that's when you put on your salesman hat.

I bought the 620 with a 27" bar. I then called @fordf150 and bought the Stihl bar adaptor he sells along with a 20" Stihl bar of his recommendation. He also sold meught 2 chains for the 20" and 2 for the 27". This was cheaper for me than buying the 620 with a 24" bar and the 27" bar. I figure I can use the 27" bar anywhere I need a 24" bar.

Getting the Stihl 20" bar allows me to buy chain from box stores if I need to. I don't have to use my 27" bar often so those chains should last me a long time. @fordf150 is knowledgable and very helpful/responsive. He ships just as quick as Amazon!

Look around over the next few months for an Echo dealer that is having a customer appreciation day. Echo will help the dealer out and you typically get 20% off. The 620 then is down at the 590 price...

I was at the landscape show and echo had a dismal booth. My rep was AWOL yet again. When she did appear the conversation came up asking when we would order more saws to which I answered that as soon as we are paid for our warranty work then we might think about ordering. I have to say the rumors of them packing it in may have some merit. The 620 was there but from what I saw the stigma of getting a saw that no one uses and even fewer service is keeping them in the shadows.

Well we can put this one to bed. I'd still like a 620p and might buy one later this summer if I can find an appreciation day close. I'd like it for a spare saw and one that other people can use.

I found an ms441c for a good price and got it. Currently in ups's hands. hopefully it's as good a deal as it sounded like. If it is then it and the 028 will be my main saws.

Well we can put this one to bed. I'd still like a 620p and might buy one later this summer if I can find an appreciation day close. I'd like it for a spare saw and one that other people can use.

I found an ms441c for a good price and got it. Currently in ups's hands. hopefully it's as good a deal as it sounded like. If it is then it and the 028 will be my main saws.
Check the Echo website for dates and participating dealers.

Latest posts

Back