New 60cc saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandson wanted to let our neighbor borrow his Husqvarna 55. I reminded him that letting inexperienced users borrow a saw was never a good idea. I then suggested just giving him the 55.

After thinking it over a few minutes, Jonathan decided to do that. After all, he reasoned, he had several other saws.

So, he spun up a new chain, dressed the bar, and gave the saw a good cleaning. Then he walked it over and passed it on.

I was really proud of him. In my mind he'd made an intelligent, and heartfelt decision.

When he got back, I gave him a 346XP that was ported by none other than the world famous @wigglesworth.

Needless to say, he loves his new 346.
I've had 55 Husky 3300 Poulans/ Craftsmans , 290 Stihls CS 56 Efco/ John Deere/ Cab Cadet and they all seem to leave. Always got good money for them with a 20 inch bar. I'm enjoying my 6100 Dolmar. I'll be running it later today.

My grandson wanted to let our neighbor borrow his Husqvarna 55. I reminded him that letting inexperienced users borrow a saw was never a good idea. I then suggested just giving him the 55.

After thinking it over a few minutes, Jonathan decided to do that. After all, he reasoned, he had several other saws.

So, he spun up a new chain, dressed the bar, and gave the saw a good cleaning. Then he walked it over and passed it on.

I was really proud of him. In my mind he'd made an intelligent, and heartfelt decision.

When he got back, I gave him a 346XP that was ported by none other than the world famous @wigglesworth.

Needless to say, he loves his new 346.
Good story Randy!

I've been reading this thread, and wondering for a long time now, at 66.7cc would a Husqvarna 266XP be considered a 60cc or 70cc class saw?
I bought it new in 91 or 92, and have a top handle Husky 23 Compact as a companion saw, which for many years covered my cutting needs very well.

Before most of my cutting was below 2,000' elevation, and mostly Douglas Fir and Lodgepole Pine, that 266 could bury the 24" bar, and keep ripping.

In 2016, we bought our home on Mt. Hood, we are only about 1,200' at the house, but a LOT of our cutting is 24-34" wood, between 5-6,000' elevation, the 266 would still cut with the bar buried, but was noticeably slower, I also got a bug to try some CSM, I saw Dave "The Chainsaw Guy" on ebay(before I found out he was an AS member) and bought a Husky 3120XP from him, what a Beast :surprised3::yes:.

After 26-27 years, that 266 is still a helluva cuttin saw, and while the 3120 makes real short work out of big wood, if I have to roll a log to finish the cut, I put the 3120 down and grab the 266 for up cutting my rounds, it didn't take too long for the "New Saw Fun" to wear off up cutting with the 3120;).

Doug

I would Not trade this Tennessee corn feed heifer for any other 60cc saw!!! Thanks Randy!View attachment 626693
Here in Oz our emissions regs are tight but slightly less bad than the US. Many saws become NLA due to regs written on bits of paper. However a few saws that are NLA in the US are available for sale here. I thought of the Sunfish a few days ago standing at my husky dealer holding a brand spanka 357xp in mu hands. While only a mere $1399 msrp, I thought the Sunfish would do 2 cartwheels & a double back flip to have this.

Here in Oz our emissions regs are tight but slightly less bad than the US. Many saws become NLA due to regs written on bits of paper. However a few saws that are NLA in the US are available for sale here. I thought of the Sunfish a few days ago standing at my husky dealer holding a brand spanka 357xp in mu hands. While only a mere $1399 msrp, I thought the Sunfish would do 2 cartwheels & a double back flip to have this.
Maybe, but I can build one here or buy a very nice one for a whole lot less $. But thanks for thinking of me. :)

Got my new saw today after waiting for UPS to get here through some winter weather. Bought it on here from gafirefighter. Came just as described in his for sale thread. Unpacked it after getting home from the dog park. Pulled the clutch cover, air filter/cover and the muffler just to look it over. Couldn't be happier and have to say seller is top notch. Shipped quick and packaged very well. KIMG0950.JPG KIMG0951.JPG KIMG0953.JPG KIMG0958.JPG KIMG0956.JPG KIMG0955.JPG

Got my new saw today after waiting for UPS to get here through some winter weather. Bought it on here from gafirefighter. Came just as described in his for sale thread. Unpacked it after getting home from the dog park. Pulled the clutch cover, air filter/cover and the muffler just to look it over. Couldn't be happier and have to say seller is top notch. Shipped quick and packaged very well. View attachment 627774 View attachment 627775 View attachment 627777 View attachment 627778 View attachment 627780 View attachment 627781
Congrats!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Got my new saw today after waiting for UPS to get here through some winter weather. Bought it on here from gafirefighter. Came just as described in his for sale thread. Unpacked it after getting home from the dog park. Pulled the clutch cover, air filter/cover and the muffler just to look it over. Couldn't be happier and have to say seller is top notch. Shipped quick and packaged very well. View attachment 627774 View attachment 627775 View attachment 627777 View attachment 627778 View attachment 627780 View attachment 627781

You should be happy! Very smooth saw to run.

They like a muffler mod.
Sitting here at work looking at my muffler right now. Wish the little tray that holds the spark arrestor was easier to get to. I kind of want to gut that part out, open up the can inside the stock deflector and then maybe form some screen around the deflector opening and rivet it one. I want to use it in national forest and want to keep some kind of spark protection.

Might just start boring in with a bur bit and hollow all that out that way. They spot welded that tray in all the way around the can.

Sitting here at work looking at my muffler right now. Wish the little tray that holds the spark arrestor was easier to get to. I kind of want to gut that part out, open up the can inside the stock deflector and then maybe form some screen around the deflector opening and rivet it one. I want to use it in national forest and want to keep some kind of spark protection.

Might just start boring in with a bur bit and hollow all that out that way. They spot welded that tray in all the way around the can.

How did you do you like the 441? I am trying to make the same decision, 60cc saw or something else, for the same western dead dry wood on public lands. I was thinking going smaller new 550xp mark 2 as it has nearly the same power specs as the 60cc 555. But i was also looking into a 6100 or 562xp. Just wondering how you like the jump up to 70cc and 14.5lbs. Thank you.

Back