New 661 oil not reaching bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumrun999

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

After the past 5 years of cutting 40 face of wood for my parents and myself, mom and dad decided they had enough of seeing me use the old 920 turbo. As a gift, they bought me a new 661 this weekend. Wow, ok, there was a tear or two or ALOT, what a gift!!

Question. I am not getting oil to the chain as though it should. I gently depressed the roll pin and turned the oiler completely up. The oil is leaking everywhere under the clutch cover, behind the stainless plate behind the bar. I checked and cleaned the oil alignment holes, verified alignment of oil passages to the bar hole and is spotlessly clean.

Is there a fitting inside the saw that is disconnected allowing oil to leak under the clutch cover, not making to the bar?

If a thread is created, please point me to it, I did not see one.
Thank You in Advance for your Help
Chris

Sounds like the saw is oiling, is the hole in the bar plugged or missaligned to the oil pump outlet on the saw?

As resolution to the topic, the dealership tried four new stihl bars before they found one that worked. It oils good now. Not sure what the deal was with the three other new bars, but, it was something. At first blush, we were thinking once the bar was tightened, the case was deflecting allowing the oil to leak between the crankcase and bar, that was not it, just finding the correct ES light bar. Thanks for all the input.

Matching a mis drilled bar to a mis located oil port isn't much of a solution. What are you supposed to do when you put on another bar and the warranty is out?

Matching a mis drilled bar to a mis located oil port isn't much of a solution. What are you supposed to do when you put on another bar and the warranty is out?.....

I was thinking exactly that, apparently the oil passage alignment is slightly off and after thousands of units manufactured, it gets a little worse each time, whether it is the bar manufacturer or crankcase manufacturer. I just find it hard to believe I am the only one to have this problem.

As stated previously, I have the saw back and it oils like its nobody's business. I am not sure if the dealer had to do something specific, all they tell me is it worked fine when it came in, here is a new bar as the original bar had some slight overheating marks on it. As secondary confirmation, I took it to another dealer, they ran it and it lathered oil on the concrete, they said that it is oiling perfect. What the second dealer told me is the bars and chains are designed to hold and retain oil in the bar groove as long as possible and try to not let it all fling off the end of the bar, but, keep it lubricated from the oiler and around both sprockets. It seems to be good and now it is time to get out and do what it does best. Since this is a gift and is brand new, I have been and will only run Stihl lubes. Thanks again for all the input.

Sounds a bit fishy....the correct bar mount should work no matter what size or make. I have many stihl saws and many stihl mount bars that interchange without any issues. Production variations sounds like bollox.
Couldn't agree more never heard of that one before

If I had to make a bet, I would put my money on an incorrectly installed backing plate. Easy to do if you are in a hurry. I know because I have done it myself. I wondered why I had to spin those bar nuts for so long with a wrench. I ended up flattening out the factory bends in the plate and had to re-shape it before installing it correctly. It wasn't until I discovered the little retainer screw I forgot to install that I realized I had installed the plate wrong. Luckily I never started the saw, so I didn't burn up a bar/chain.

Didn't the 661 have issues with the clutch cover cracking the case and having to have a new modified clutch cover fitted by the dealer to prevent issues? Someone somewhere posted it... But I can't remember what exactly was the problem or symptoms

Latest posts

Back