new blaze king

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman23

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is this creosote or paint. Never owned a new stove not sure what's supposed to happen for the first few fires. Outside cured with lots of smelly smoke resulting with me opening all the doors and windows. Stove was running high to medium never a low burn and cat meter was pinned At times. Is this what I should expect for buildup all the time? Stuff on the glass was coming off as sparkly flakes. Checked the brand new chimney and was looked brand new. Thanks for any answers

Attachments

• 20171109_211447.jpg
    20171109_211447.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • 20171109_211338.jpg
    20171109_211338.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 64
Looks normal. Hard to tell the pics are only about 1" and I can't get them to go bigger.

Looks normal to me too. I have a 3 year old Sirocco 30. Mine runs 24 hours a day from October 1st to April sometime and the as needed the rest of the year. My glass is never clean, I hope you didn't want to watch a pretty fire all the time. Creosote builds in mine quickly in the corners and baffle channels on mine regardless of how hot it burns. I burn only pine though.

Good choice on the stove though. I love mine.

This stove was installed in my downstairs (house is garage*kinda*mainfloor, living quarters upstairs) in hopes to heat the entire place as It didn't make sense to keep burning 4 cords in upstairs stove and still pay expensive hydro bills to run the infloor heat downstairs to keep it kinda warm. So not seeing flames in it is fine I just want it to put out lots of heat and not have to tend to it as often as the non cat stove. Ideally load it before work and than again when I come home 12 hour burns would be awesome.

That is basically what I do with my stove. I load it twice a day and my house(1216 sqft modular home) is always 20+ degrees. The longest burn I've had is about 20 hours with an OAT of -40, I could push it longer if I tried.

Assuming you have the same thermostat with a thicker line for high to thinner for low where do you find is the optimal spot for good btu output and easy 12 hr reloads

I set my knob a bit cooler than horizontal but it changes with the OAT. It took me a week or to to figure out what worked best at my house. I also ended up running the stove a bit cooler after I got a blower circuit rigged up an my furnace.

I typically run mine with the knob a bit clockwise of vertical. I've had the stove since 2010, so pretty well figured it out.

Amount of wood that goes in the stove, blower on or off and t stat setting all vary on inside temp, outside temp and how windy it is.

Yesterday I filled it up before I left for work at about 0930. Blower on, T Stat at about vertical. Was around 15-20* most of the day. Got home about 2000, was 75* in the house (too darn hot!). Let it go the night and even then I considering opening a window, I woke up around 0200 dripping in sweat!

Got up this morning around 0900, was about 70* in the house, stove was still going. Just had to stir around what was left in there, fill it up and that was it.

Typically I load it twice a day. 3x if it's fairly cold (like -15* or colder)

Assuming you have the same thermostat with a thicker line for high to thinner for low where do you find is the optimal spot for good btu output and easy 12 hr reloads
I was running my King full throttle on a full load and would get 8-9 hours of heat before I needed to reload to maintain the same temp in the house. Even then, there were enough coals to last several hours.

Your exact setting to get a 12 hour cycle is specific for your stove based on its configuration and what you are trying to heat. You'll figure it out with time.

That was defiantly creosote in your original pictures. It should burn off if you operate the stove on high for a while. That will clean the glass too. You should strive to burn at least one hot fire a day.

I personally don't have a convection deck or blower fan. I don't think it would help much in my situation. I do use a pair of Eco fans though and they seem to work great.

I personally don't have a convection deck or blower fan. I don't think it would help much in my situation. I do use a pair of Eco fans though and they seem to work great.
You would be surprised how much more heat you can get. I had a box fan and a 12" high velocity fan on the stove and it still wasn't as much heat as the factory fans.

In my house, the blower makes quite a difference getting the rest of the house warm. Not sure how much the convection deck helps.

I just leave the blower on low, it's not very loud. The stove is about 4 feet from the TV, can still hear it just fine.

The Eco fans are neat, but they don't move anywhere near the warm air the blower does. A friend has one on his stove, pretty much just uses it as an expensive gauge to when the stove needs more wood.

Back