New business in PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I ran a business in CA for 8 years, sold it, and it's still going strong!

I moved to PA last year, took on a totally different career as a pastor. I love it but my hands are getting soft and I miss working outside every now and then. Of course, in Los Angeles there was beautiful weather year round. It was -3 here the other day...

I've done 3 small jobs so far. I'm thinking of trying to get to a point where I can do 2-3 per month to supplement my income.

So basically, I want advice!

Here's the plan

1. A one man show. It's a rural area so I don't need any guys on the ground to help with rigging. I also spent many thousands of dollars paying for workers comp in CA and I'm done doing that now :).

2. No haul away. It's a rural area (Wellsboro, PA) so most people just drag their brush into the woods and burn the firewood. Therefore, I don't need to buy a dump truck and chipper!

3. Maybe do some contract climbing. There are a handful of companies in the area and only a handful of certified arborists within an hour drive.

4. Maybe some consulting and pesticide application.... Though I don't even want to know how far I'll have to drive to take the QAL exam.

5. Only gear I have now are a few saws, climbing gear, PPE, and a 12' trailer. Don't really plan on buying much else. Maybe a cheap stump grinder if there's enough need.

So, what is the process of getting a contractor's license in PA???? Do I need one here?

Im sorry i cant offer much to help other than offer you a little bit of work at my Cabin in Cameron Co PA. I have a few trees that have questionable lean and future intentions. They would need climbed and topped a little. There is a guy up that way, Um...Schatz tree service located in Emporium... good people and maybe they can hire you on from time to time with bigger jobs they get. I know they are pretty much family owned and the only gig around that I know of. I dont know of anyone that grinds stumps up that way so maybe that's worth while checking out more. Pick up the "Wharton Gazette" and advertise there, its pretty cheap if I recall. Lot of older camps up that way that could use some affordable, dependable tree work..

I hope this helps a little bit... Welcome to PA and enjoy the scenery up there, I love it.

I'm up near Sinnemahoning State Park..well, my camp is... I'll snap some pics of what I need and msg them to you and you can see if youre interested. It's not a all day job, maybe a hour... but its something. I'd feel better about this one tree if it was trimmed back a little. Either way, good luck with your new venture!

You don't need a license in Pa, just need to register with the state and get a contractors number. I don't even have that, never had any problems. I would say your fine to do as you please up there in pretty little Wellsboro.

You don't need a license in Pa, just need to register with the state and get a contractors number. I don't even have that, never had any problems. I would say your fine to do as you please up there in pretty little Wellsboro.

The way I understand it is that we are not required to register. I think its for HOME IMPROVEMENT CONTRACTORS and tree work does not fall into that category. It might have changed since the last time I looked into it.

I envy you because that's a beautiful area. Have family located due south of there in Lock Haven and Jersey Shore. Have you gone to see the "Grand Canyon of PA" yet? Climb safe. <Ken>

Thanks guys. Yeah, the "Grand Canyon" is just a little bit down the road! Some pretty fascinating history with logging in the area.

Dismantled a nice sugar maple recently. Glad the weather is starting to get warmer.

For now I've got a 201t, 372xp, 394xp, and an f150! hopefully wont need much else for the time being. Thanks for the work offer, a10egress.

Back