New chain for 500p..now shes an animal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WacoDustin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just put a Stihl .325 .50 D66 23RS yellow link chain on my 500p, she cuts crazy fast now. I love this chain. I also ordered an Oregon 20bpx066g as well . I hope the Oregon cuts decent.

I'm going to leave mine 325". How do you like the Carlton chains? I noticed that they are a lot cheaper than the Stihl chains. The Stihl chain that is on it was $25. The Oregon that I ordered was $16.

I run carlton on all my saws cause that's what my dealer keeps on rolls. Off the roll the stihl might be a little faster but after the first filing it comes down to how sharp you can make the chain. The carlton is cheaper and has never given me any problems. Also the chain in the picture was free or it would be full chisele non safety chain.

I do find the Oregon a little easier to file then the other two. Don't know if it's a little softer or just in my head.

Stihl chain will typically have harder cutters, not quite as sharp right off the roll and often need "touched-up" before using it. At least if you are picky about those sort of things. I use and prefer semi-chisel to full chisel with .325 up to 18". Beyond 18" bars it's best to move up to 3/8"...IMHO.

Semi-chisel doesn't "grab" or cut quite as fast, but it sure stays sharp a lot longer, especially if you are in any dirt at all.

I used to run full chisel only on everything, but in recent years have moved many of my chains over to semi-chisel. On larger saws one quickly becomes disillusioned that the semi-chisel isn't cutting fast enough, but it really isn't that far off of full chisel and for sure you can cut a lot more wood without taking a file to it.

I'd also add here that when purchasing 3/8" chains avoid the type with the rakers that look like a folded over dorsal fin.....complete JUNK........Cliff

Back