New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking for a decent sharpener for years and have yet to pony up for one. I have yet to see a design that works consistently. With that said I see that that the Timberline has the best design outside of the mounting block being made from aircraft grade aluminum. The design flaw I see is that over time and in my opinion within very few uses the carbide sharpener shaving the walls as it is repeatedly removed and reinserted will create an angle shift thus rendering a chain junk. I pay $5.00 a chain here in N.H, I just had 15 of them sharpened from as many years of use. Cost was $75.00 so I think I am well ahead of the game at this point.
If you are only sharpening one chain a year........you are set for Life!!

Sharpen each one 5 more times and you are 90 years older

My cheap grinder with a home made CNC'ed and pretty complicated vice I might add worked perfectly and would last a long time - if I did'nt start sharpen chains for the whole village...
RIMG0039.JPGRIMG0041.JPG
You had a holiday this Easter? well I didn't.

Only heard very poor things about these knockoff and Timber line do nothing about the use of their logo...........................................................

That Stihl USG is still new in the box, my DIY vice sharpener still holds up... barely that is - it just wont give in.
Why change a w(h)inning team... :cheers:

Timberline Knock-Offs

I guess it was bound to happen? Saw something on CL, which led me to Amazon. $34.

Sure there are others on eBay, etc.

Philbert

View attachment 1013414
I've seen them on ebay for inder $20. Some (most) of the pics in their adds are of an actual Timberline, but it looks like the cutters are more like a diamond hone than a carbide burr. I'm guessing they have a metric shaft making it impossible to use the standard carbide cutters.

FWIW, I modified the guides on my Timberline by boring the ID out and pressing in some 1/4" drill bushing liners. Much smoother operation now, and the guides will stay true.

Latest posts

Back