New chain vs sharpened.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever hear the story about the little boy who cry wolf?....and nobody believed him. I have seen you spin 50 page threads (twice) I certainly did not read much but it was the same thing throughout. That was you taking on everyone...and most all of them calling you names. That was my 'wheelhouse' you were talking about and you are making a mockery and debating for entertainment,I may add. Did I want any part of that? No. Did I call you names? No. Am I sceptical when you come around? yes. Have I always given you the time of day? yes...but I've made it clear 'it's' not up for debate. Did I put forth an effort here to address things you claim you didnt understand? Yes. Could you have used better manners (especially considering your greasy history) ....and asked...

.."OK there is a few things I'm still fuzzy on here ...so what did you mean by..such and such...."? YES you could have.

If you were truly interested .you would have been polite and followed up.
(not picked apart what I did wrong?)

^Are you serious?

I never will be bothered that some don't understand my posts. I laugh the hardest when they say that.

I gave you a chance as you are the
a-hole with no credibility and now you leave the same way.

I'm not one to hold a grudge....address me down the road....be serious and show some f*en manners pal. You got the wrong cat.
Ive only been asking legitimate questions about your abstract posts, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has real problems undestanding some of your stories, by getting hostile when being asked to fill in the gaps probably isn't new to you, there might be a message in it for you somewhere.

haha...funny...couldn't resist that one could you. LMAO.
That's as authentic as Alberta gumbo.
what's happening on rig time these days?
buddy is up there Piplining (spread boss)
Probably shootin' some 'Drillers diesel' by now. going to dig out my bear paws and get a swamp donkey.

So i looked up other words for Foreman and I think there was 17 words.
Pusher made the list.
I knew them all but "Ganger" never made the list or Gang boss...lol
I think last time I was on a gang I was In the bucket 28 yrs ago.
Here's one

Construction Ganger jobs
Jobs 1 - 2 of 4
And it's a British term , Canada is still part of the commonwealth isn't it?

You must show me one for a pusher, as all I've seen come up for that description relates to drugs, which would put one in a chain gang. Ring any bells ? Then it get even more blank with a cat push !

Here's one
i
Construction Ganger jobs
Jobs 1 - 2 of 4
And it's a British term , Canada is still part of the commonwealth isn't it?

You must show me one for a pusher, as all I've seen come up for that description relates to drugs, which would put one in a chain gang. Ring any bells ? Then it get even more blank with a cat push !

I'm British born. Never heard any British say ganger. I'm familiar with.... gang log gang saw, gang poles, (gang) Then you have things you may hear in jail from past to present. "the gang" gang banger/s, gangsters
chain gang, on gang, what's you gang #?,
gang boss, work gang. Then you have...gangerine, and last but not least ..gang bang...aaaaaaaand bangers and mash. (It's English)
"Gang" in relation to work is not used in Western Canadian society. Some correctional facilities my have work programs. They use the term as in work gang "on gang". Certainly not a chain gang.

We moved on from the mideival times
Should make a movie. We'll call it...The brigand and the ganger. ahhhhaahhaa.

Meanwhile ... 4 to 800 yrs later.

Push management. "Push"

Projective production planning.

Contract/ Turn-Key
The Push will see it through or he gets chopped. If the workers can't keep up then the Push chops them.

Its called 'ram-rodding' the job.
Push the charge and fire the trigger.

It's not 'pull management' here, it push management and its push management for a reason. You only have a window to work in. Up to about 2005, If the whether cooperated guys would work 120-140 day (no days off) You need ice bridges for access. deep freeze in the ground for mechanical access or they get stuck. Still happens in the muskeg. They had me go out to fall some trees to prep for a recovery.
A cat 3/4 sunk at -40c
water on the top was to warm to freeze.
(Yes -40 c)

I've worked a little in the States and UK.

....but High-ball shows in North BC and Alberta in Gas & Oil are something else.

of course...
"I'll drink a toast
to the way they log
on the BC Coast"

PS...can you find Ice bridge maker?
Water truck companies specialize in Ice bridge construction.

Like you said ...you have being around a fair bit.

Just because you have been living a while
doesn't make you a põrn star does it?

If you use "Ganger" that's cool by me. I wouldn't dispute something halfway around the world. I can't even speak for the east side of Canada

I'm British born. Never heard any British say ganger. I'm familiar with.... gang log gang saw, gang poles, (gang) Then you have things you may hear in jail from past to present. "the gang" gang banger/s, gangsters
chain gang, on gang, what's you gang #?,
gang boss, work gang. Then you have...gangerine, and last but not least ..gang bang...aaaaaaaand bangers and mash. (It's English)
"Gang" in relation to work is not used in Western Canadian society. Some correctional facilities my have work programs. They use the term as in work gang "on gang". Certainly not a chain gang.

We moved on from the mideival times
Should make a movie. We'll call it...The brigand and the ganger. ahhhhaahhaa.

Meanwhile ... 4 to 800 yrs later.

Push management. "Push"

Projective production planning.

Contract/ Turn-Key
The Push will see it through or he gets chopped. If the workers can't keep up then the Push chops them.

Its called 'ram-rodding' the job.
Push the charge and fire the trigger.

It's not 'pull management' here, it push management and its push management for a reason. You only have a window to work in. Up to about 2005, If the whether cooperated guys would work 120-140 day (no days off) You need ice bridges for access. deep freeze in the ground for mechanical access or they get stuck. Still happens in the muskeg. They had me go out to fall some trees to prep for a recovery.
A cat 3/4 sunk at -40c
water on the top was to warm to freeze.
(Yes -40 c)

I've worked a little in the States and UK.

....but High-ball shows in North BC and Alberta in Gas & Oil are something else.

of course...
"I'll drink a toast
to the way they log
on the BC Coast"

PS...can you find Ice bridge maker?
Water truck companies specialize in Ice bridge construction.

Like you said ...you have being around a fair bit.

Just because you have been living a while
doesn't make you a põrn star does it?

If you use "Ganger" that's cool by me. I wouldn't dispute something halfway around the world. I can't even speak for the east side of Canada
Thanks for the descriptions , as you have not shown any of your job descriptions in print, they are just isolated regional verbal terms nobody outside those regions has a clue what they mean, so your stories mean vertually nothing, you have the experience , the audience and the possibility of captivating them.
BTW I've had a few years working in construction in permanently frozen environments & some the guys I worked with came from North American pipeline & mining projects who were working for the likes of Bechtel & none of them talked like hillbilly yokels in code.

Do you think you're showing me something new? It's just the regional language meanings that's different. I could make out some which was some redneck saying an inferior welder was no good & some gibberish about welding with long leads. It'd be a only some rough backyarders hiring guys like that because they're just too much trouble, got to be able to produce the goods under pressure without losing ones rag & people that threaten to belt the foremen or have done so are completely off the list of potential employees for any reputable company.

Its not accurate to classify EVERYTHING under "reginal slang" ...we have reginal/ cultural standards or differences as well industry differences and standards.
The Newfoundslanders say ..."I'm going to have 'me' dinner". That's lunch time.
That's not slang but reginal differances.
A supervisor or the title "push" is specific to some activities in Gas & Oil (G & O) Its not reginal because these major Licencee's like Shell, BP, ect operate
world wide and so do big companies. its a chain of invitations when you are in the loop. I have friends down in Panama as BC Faller Supervisers. That's what the Licencee's wants and that's what they get. I heard the term "Push"used on a drill rig reality show from state side not to long ago. I never heard of "Push" until I worked in G&O. I never heard of a lead hand until I worked with more than one Certified utility Arborist (CUA) in Utility line clearing, at the same time. Titles 'stay specific' to there industries. Very legitamate. In hand falling in logging then the Supervisor is titled "bullbucker" Its not reginal slang but Industry titles. Industry dictates. Not saying I haven't used reginal slang, I ever did it 'more so' purposely on one post last page. "bear paws" ..."Swamp Donkey". "gumbo"

The Welder? Some of the old pipe Welders can be ornery but they're good. lot of guys get tickets to weld round pipe and come "think they 'can bust an x-ray machine" (as he referenced, meaning passing weld x-rays) The reality is a lot of them can't.
They roll up in there fully outfitted new truck thinking they are going to make the big bucks. $1200 per day. They may start then out doing 'tie ins' If the welds are failing then they have to cut them out.
thats a big deal when they may have an excavator at one end and a side boom on the other....plus labourers.
They may give them some structural work or send them home. Those are usually the nice guys.

I've filled in as a Welders helper and labourer a few times to extend my winter when Seismic jobs ended a bit early.
Also Faller on Right of way construction then pipe line for a while waiting for something to come up.

Remembering the last of 'tie ins' of the job trying to beat the dark and you have to pump out the bell hole first and everything is breaking up so quick ....the ditch is caving in and its raining. If any water gets on the weld it my fail x-ray.
64 yrs old Welder. 100% all winter I was told...but this was the worst case scenario. my job for this weld was to plant one boot in the clay on the slick clay slop and not move so he could use it for 'footing' (no pun) and hold the umbrella over the weld. Not only did we all want that day to be over but everyone wanted to pack out of camp and hit the road home.
A fail and we would have had to come back to do it the next morning.

Its all about him, it's all riding on him.
x-ray comes in?
Well the ornery ol' boy did it. 100% welds all season.

It's easier to replace the job boss. Don't piss of your ace welders. they will 'roll their **** up'.

Its not accurate to classify EVERYTHING under "reginal slang" ...we have reginal/ cultural standards or differences as well industry differences and standards.
The Newfoundslanders say ..."I'm going to have 'me' dinner". That's lunch time.
That's not slang but reginal differances.
A supervisor or the title "push" is specific to some activities in Gas & Oil (G & O) Its not reginal because these major Licencee's like Shell, BP, ect operate
world wide and so do big companies. its a chain of invitations when you are in the loop. I have friends down in Panama as BC Faller Supervisers. That's what the Licencee's wants and that's what they get. I heard the term "Push"used on a drill rig reality show from state side not to long ago. I never heard of "Push" until I worked in G&O. I never heard of a lead hand until I worked with more than one Certified utility Arborist (CUA) in Utility line clearing, at the same time. Titles 'stay specific' to there industries. Very legitamate. In hand falling in logging then the Supervisor is titled "bullbucker" Its not reginal slang but Industry titles. Industry dictates. Not saying I haven't used reginal slang, I ever did it 'more so' purposely on one post last page. "bear paws" ..."Swamp Donkey". "gumbo"

The Welder? Some of the old pipe Welders can be ornery but they're good. lot of guys get tickets to weld round pipe and come "think they 'can bust an x-ray machine" (as he referenced, meaning passing weld x-rays) The reality is a lot of them can't.
They roll up in there fully outfitted new truck thinking they are going to make the big bucks. $1200 per day. They may start then out doing 'tie ins' If the welds are failing then they have to cut them out.
thats a big deal when they may have an excavator at one end and a side boom on the other....plus labourers.
They may give them some structural work or send them home. Those are usually the nice guys.

I've filled in as a Welders helper and labourer a few times to extend my winter when Seismic jobs ended a bit early.
Also Faller on Right of way construction then pipe line for a while waiting for something to come up.

Remembering the last of 'tie ins' of the job trying to beat the dark and you have to pump out the bell hole first and everything is breaking up so quick ....the ditch is caving in and its raining. If any water gets on the weld it my fail x-ray.
64 yrs old Welder. 100% all winter I was told...but this was the worst case scenario. my job for this weld was to plant one boot in the clay on the slick clay slop and not move so he could use it for 'footing' (no pun) and hold the umbrella over the weld. Not only did we all want that day to be over but everyone wanted to pack out of camp and hit the road home.
A fail and we would have had to come back to do it the next morning.

Its all about him, it's all riding on him.
x-ray comes in?
Well the ornery ol' boy did it. 100% welds all season.

It's easier to replace the job boss. Don't piss of your ace welders. they will 'roll their **** up'.
If it's not isolated slang where's the advertised job descriptions? Reputable companies will always back their experienced competent supervisors over the day labour who are aggressive to authority, it's just how they work. One threat or action of of violence & it's instant dismissal, never to return.
Working in poor conditions without adequate planning makes a tradesman job harder than it should be, throwing them in a wet hole in the mud expecting a top notch job is just asking for trouble, it only take a little common sense to have the hole constantly pumped out with a low gravel sump, some crushed rock base, or some plywood on timber pallets to comfortably work on & a shelter to ensure work can proceed unabated , so in other words , pisspoor planning leads to pisspoor performance.

I cant remember the place names but he would work on the lines all winter and then hop on his Harley and ride all over north america wherever he pleased this was in the 70s and just enjoy life getting into all sorts of trouble. Amazing welder and really nice bloke taught me a huge amount and not just welding just life in general the boss would walk past and see me chatting to him for hours on end and not say a word cos he new that he was teaching a pimple faced 18 year old how to be a man.

Do tell more stories mate don't let those jerks give you s**t if they dont get it then away they can go. Mite not understand some terms or whatever but just shut up and listen and you mite.

Same goes for sharpening chain yes you dam well should touch up a factory dull chain use the nicely set and consistent angles to your advantage and put a nice edge on it. Touch up them depth gauges too and dont bother with that poxy stihl depth gauge there no good for hand filled cutters. Your cutters are all kinds of lengths and that's fine as long as the depth gauge is the right height for each tooth it doesn't matter. Hell even if your top plate angles are all within 5 degrees of each other with good hook clean gullet and individually set depth gauges it will cut mint as.

Keep at it practice and practice file your mates chains file every time you use the saw dull or not file and file and file and you will get good at it. A 20inch touch up in the woods takes no time much faster than swapping a chain yea 28 32 is going to take a while but who cares enjoy it roll a dart and have a rest. Each cutter is it's own and part of a chain forget the others and concentrate on each cutter.. if you roll a good dart itle stay lit for a good drag between cutters.

Ask for help I had a dead gum a while back and dam it would chatter like hell in the cut so I hit up the aussie boys who cut it all the time for some tips (Hey C**t's)

Shut up and listen to any older guy when he has something to say it's worth every word he has seen and done more than you ever will.

Merry Christmas

I cant remember the place names but he would work on the lines all winter and then hop on his Harley and ride all over north america wherever he pleased this was in the 70s and just enjoy life getting into all sorts of trouble. Amazing welder and really nice bloke taught me a huge amount and not just welding just life in general the boss would walk past and see me chatting to him for hours on end and not say a word cos he new that he was teaching a pimple faced 18 year old how to be a man.

Do tell more stories mate don't let those jerks give you s**t if they dont get it then away they can go. Mite not understand some terms or whatever but just shut up and listen and you mite.

Same goes for sharpening chain yes you dam well should touch up a factory dull chain use the nicely set and consistent angles to your advantage and put a nice edge on it. Touch up them depth gauges too and dont bother with that poxy stihl depth gauge there no good for hand filled cutters. Your cutters are all kinds of lengths and that's fine as long as the depth gauge is the right height for each tooth it doesn't matter. Hell even if your top plate angles are all within 5 degrees of each other with good hook clean gullet and individually set depth gauges it will cut mint as.

Keep at it practice and practice file your mates chains file every time you use the saw dull or not file and file and file and you will get good at it. A 20inch touch up in the woods takes no time much faster than swapping a chain yea 28 32 is going to take a while but who cares enjoy it roll a dart and have a rest. Each cutter is it's own and part of a chain forget the others and concentrate on each cutter.. if you roll a good dart itle stay lit for a good drag between cutters.

Ask for help I had a dead gum a while back and dam it would chatter like hell in the cut so I hit up the aussie boys who cut it all the time for some tips (Hey C**t's)

Shut up and listen to any older guy when he has something to say it's worth every word he has seen and done more than you ever will.

Merry Christmas
I am the older guy

If it's not isolated slang where's the advertised job.

You have to read between the lines a little bit there bud. With words and frases like "invitation" and "being in the loop"

Its not even a hidden job market. Its spesalized. When Clean harbours from PA had Seismic work in the states all the mulcher operators and their mulcher push get the call from Clean harbors in Canada to go cut the grids because US people didn't have the expirence. They were 10 yrs behind. Not in the technology but in expirence or lack of
in this case. Anybody that is anybody is going to be known in industry.

Even if Clean harbors didn't get the job. every one will know who is doing what and where and their operators ....or some will still get hired.

You didn't have to prove "Ganger" as a job title to me? You live there...I don't! why would I dispute it? I wouldn't! Your position is beyond ridiculous.

The richest companies on the face of the planet that 'letter head' our (Emergency Response Plan) (ERP)
with all the key players titles with phone #'s
project manager, supervisor, drill push , mulcher push, cat push, slash push ect. Nuff said on the matter don't you think?
(it rhetorical^^)

WTF does all of this BS have to do with chain sharpening? Damn.
What in the F* does the half time show has to do with Football?
Maybe you can get your money back?
More snide remarks from the people who won't or can't contribute a dam thing. That's 3 of you so far. This is your second post directed to me and the first time I was on topic? You have a problem with me? obviously.

I grabed this thread off the second page after it was dead for a day. Like a little kid that stops playing with a toy....Someone else picks it up and it's important again. Anytime you want to start the second half stud? Lead the way. Ill take your eleged 30+ yrs and school you pal. You want to take a dislike to me...I'll give you a reason.

.Put up or shut Del ...

see you on the field, sport.

Back