New Chainsaw - Husky or ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy J

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I like my old saws, but I'm about fed up with trying to keep them cutting. So, I'm thinking a Husky 362XP (or 372XP if significantly better). What would be the equivelent Stihl? I know these are the 2 top brands, but of course I'm concerned about price, so which is a better value (read cheaper)? I know there's tons of information on these, but my question is which would be better with a 20" blade on it for overall cutting - firewood, occasional tree removal, etc.? I know either of these are probably more than I need, but I don't want to have to buy a saw again for a very long time.
I will need to deal with a local dealer as I want to try to trade my old Homelites in.
Any help appreciated.
Randy

Randy,

If your thinking Husqvarna I'd buy the 372XP it's got some more power compared to the 362 and not much price difference you could pick up a 372XP w/20" bar+chain for $546.95,now the equivilaint to that it a Stihl 044 or 046 Mag which are both very good saws but they also will be more $$ to buy I was quoted here in NH by my saw dealer $675.00 for a 046mag w/24" bar+ chain.All of these saw's are "Pro" saws and are great for everything that you have mentioned that your looking to do so good luck on your new saw buying expierence :D

Later Rob..

372XP w/20 in. bar is my choice. Rob is right that for the price of the 362, you might as well get the 372. Also, if I remember correctly, the 362 takes a small bar mount, like the 261 ,55 etc.

Randy,
Take a good look at the 357xp, Ifyou are concerned about power
Call walkers or Dennis have it tuned you won't be sorry ,Light weight saw that will run with stock 372 for about the same cash..
Take care of it ,,,,,,,, It will take care of you for a long time...

Actually there are no 362s or 372's here in San Antonio, least that I could find. One dealer did have a 357, and looking at the specs, I think that saw might do me just fine. He didn't say what size bar, but I do want to run a 20" bar as that's what I have on my current Homelite, and I really like the length. The cost was $559.95, not sure if I can negotiate or not. What is approximate cost on Walkerizing (or Dennis-izing?!)?
Randy

that sounds kinda high for a 357 - you do want to look for a 372xp with a 20" bar - its almost the perfect setup. should get that for that same price like stihlmagnum said. Why dont you price it from Dennis, Walkers, Ken etc. including the powertuning/walkerizing and see where you are at moneywise.

RJ
You may want to look into a Jonsered. There is a "bag and drag" on now in my part of the country. Don't have my lists at home, but I think the 2163, 2165, and 2171 are part of it. Could help you with a trade with the Homelites.

What kinda Husky dealer ya'll got down there...

"Actually there are no 362s or 372's here in San Antonio"

I am amazed that your Husky dealer doesn't have a 372. I would think he could probably get ya one pretty quick. That would be my choice. Only a pound heavier than a 357 and a whole lot more snot. My opinion is that the 372 with a 20" bar feels much better balanced than a 357 with the same bar. I wouldn't consider the 362, I look at that saw and wonder why they made it? I've used both the 357 and 372 to compare and will definitley be getting the 372 when the wife's not looking.

Yeah they said they could get any Husky within 2 days, so that's not a problem. One dealer had the 357 for $559, which several have pointed out isn't that good a deal. And the other dealer I could locate was clueless; me - "Do you have a Husky 362 or 372, and how much", them - "just a minute" (hold), "what was it that you wanted?", me - "a 362 or 372", them - "just a minute" (hold), "no, but we can have them within 2 days", me - "How much?", them - "just a minute" (hold), "what did you want a price on?", me - "a 362 and a 372", them - "have you gotten any other prices", me - "no, I just want to know what you'd sell it for", them - "just a minute" (hold), me - Hang up!
I really think the 372 might be more than I need, but like anything else - you can never have too much! I'm kind of interested in a modified 357. Don't know much about the Jonsered, other than just looking at prices on the internet they seem more expensive. What's the equivilent of the Husky 357?
Randy

Randy,

If your looking to get a modded 357xp your gonna be spending close to 600-700 bucks,for the difference in price and the power difference I'd be buying the 372xp now I'm not saying you should'nt buy one of those 357's but for all the difference's I'd get a 372 here's a link from where I bought my 385xp very good people to deal with and the cheapest prices around

http://www.powermadeeasy.com/husqvarna/chainsaw/chainsaw.htm#contents

I bought the saw from them and my local Husky dealer said he would have no problem with doing warranty work etc...

Later Rob..
Good luck

There must be more than one dealer in San Antonio TX. Here's what I would do, get a price on a 372XP from www.madsens1.com. Then take that price to the dealer. Tell them either they can meet (or come very close to) that price or you will buy from them. That simple. Madsens has very fine customer service and will back their product. So dont worry if you have to go that route. Buying a saw shouldnt be a lot of work. If the dealer doesnt want your $600 someone else will.

Here's a better link:

http://www.localaccess.com/madsens/husk371.htm.

Madsen's sell their 372's with full wrap handle and 2 west coast falling dogs, making the saw about 1.5 lb heavier. If you'd like it light and normally set up, ask them or try Bailey's. They are at $519 for pwr head only. They also have good service, and offer discounted parts.

i got my 372 from madsens and they asked me which handles I wanted. The falling dogs were the small kind.

Thanks to your guys advice, I've ruled out the 362. I'm trying to decide between the Walkerized 357, or the stock 372. Pricewise, the 372 is about $35 cheaper. But for $35 will I get a saw that cuts better, or not? A saw that's lighter, or not? I don't know enough about the Jonsered to know what's good. I'm guessing the 2171 is the equivilent. I don't even know enough about the Stihl to know what's the equivilent of the 372, as a matter of fact I don't know much about these at all. I do know I'd like to have a 20" bar, and have a saw that will cut hard. I am somewhat of a believer in overkill, and although the Husky Rancher 55 is a great saw, I want a professional model. Even though I will soon be in a related business that will require some wood cutting, I don't, and probably never will, use the saw the way most of you guys do, but... So the question remains, which is best - as far as reliable, good cutting, light weight, and cost wise? Ah, these are the things that make one ponder!
Randy

372 all the way. Has to be the one of the most popular and versatile saws of all time. If you want to have it modded later, much more power can be had easily.

You may be on to something here. Since the moded 357 and the stock 372 are about equivalent, get the 372 now and then I could have it moded later for even more power! Now I feel like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor! How about the Jonsered 2149? That appears to be less power, but has a 20" bar, and is considerably cheaper.
Randy

As far as pricing and buying from a dealer. My local dealer got very negotiable on price when I told him I could get a 372 off the internet for well under $600.

Randy,
If you're looking for the best range for a general purpose saw, then the 2149 is a little on the small size. My modded 2149 at 50cc's is a great saw for the smaller stuff, but even modified, it won't cut close to my 266 at 66 cc's. The 372 at 72 cc's has even more power than my 266, but weighs in about the same. In going with the 372, you will join legions of others who haven't been disappointed.

Randy,
One other thing. When I buy a saw, I buy the size that's right for the things I will use it for based on it's power and weight. Later, if I decide to have it modified it becomes more verstile because I have expanded the range of it's usefulness and left the weight the same. I personally wouldn't buy a 357 and have it modded to cut like a 372 if I wanted a saw that cut like a 372. Torque is where it's at. There's no substitute for cubic inches.

Latest posts

Back