New Climber - What are the most common causes of accidents on DdRT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurferk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After watching dozens of youtube videos and reading The Tree Climber's Companion, I took the plunge and ordered the basic gear for a MRS/DdRT setup like the one shown in this video -- clove hitch on my harness carabiner and a blake's hitch for ascending/descending. I'm using a friction saver in the tree and have made several short climbs to get the hang of things. So far, so good. I'm excited to climb higher.

Whenever I'm starting out a new, potentially dangerous, hobby, I like to ask those with more experience how a beginner is most likely to hurt himself to avoid having to learn the hard way! What are the most common causes of accidents among recreational climbers using MRS/DdRT? I don't plan on doing tree work or handling a saw in the trees. This is purely recreational (for now).

My gear/setup:
ROPE, ARBORMASTER HAWKEYE 150'
SADDLE, NEW TRIBE TWIST
CARABINER, PIRATE AUTO-LOCK
FRICTION SAVER, CAMP HERBOL 120cm

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Go slow, never rush.
Play around in smaller trees to start.
Always inspect your gear.

Repetetive motions can cause strain over time. If your regularily ascending tall trees, think about upgrading to a climbing systems that can utilize more than just your upper body ie. Foot/knee ascenders.

Same as above but I'll add stretching. Try to stretch out everything you can as much a as you can tolerate. Back when I was climbing full time I never stretched and have paid dearly for it. Now that I mainly climb during hunting season getting loosened up makes moving and twisting way easier

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Whenever I'm starting out a new, potentially dangerous, hobby, I like to ask those with more experience how a beginner is most likely to hurt himself to avoid having to learn the hard way! What are the most common causes of accidents among recreational climbers using MRS/DdRT?
I'm not really sure what the statistics are on this. Hard to track that sort of thing (can't go off of news stories since they rarely or never have a clue what they're talking about). Having done it for many years though, I'd guess the most common cause of gear related major injury (so not including repetitive motion injuries or twists and sprains) that doesn't include a saw is probably either poorly tied knots coming undone or tie in point failure.

always use a stopper knot after the blakes hitch. I have that rope as well, perfect for drt. Just double check everything before you leave the ground(carabiners locked, stopper knot, blakes is tight and holding you, saddle set up right, tie in point sturdy enough?) Throw cube w/ dynaglide throwline would be my next purchase if I was you.

always use a stopper knot after the blakes hitch. I have that rope as well, perfect for drt. Just double check everything before you leave the ground(carabiners locked, stopper knot, blakes is tight and holding you, saddle set up right, tie in point sturdy enough?) Throw cube w/ dynaglide throwline would be my next purchase if I was you.
Thanks. I will definitely pick up a throw cube soon. Do you descend on your blake's hitch, or do you use a belay device.

Do you descend on your blake's hitch, or do you use a belay device.
Depends how far I'm descending. If I'm going a ways down and don't need to stop to do work on the way, I'll switch to a rappel device. Saves wear and tear on your split tail. I don't use a Blake's any more but the principle is the same with any friction hitch.

A buntline is basically a clove hitch around your standing line. Is this what is referring to? Yea, old thread.

As said, never rush. We've had more climbers hurt on the ground, than in the trees. One was running and missed the curb broke his leg just above his ankle. Another was running to jump on a step on the back of a chipper truck. It was Icy, the step was made of expanded metal, and hung from the frame on box tubing. No back to the step. He didn't think Ice could stick to the expanded metal, and when he jumped his foot slid through the back of the step, barked up his other shin when it slammed into the step, caught a finger in the expanded metal and broke it. I was climbing in the 70's and 80's and used 1/2" Arbor Plex 3 strand climbing rope, A Buckingham double D Ring saddle with no safety straps on the legs. We used the old Hip Thrust style of climbing. One thing I always did that not many, if any other climbers did on a regular basis, was, as I pulled my line out of the tree, I would first take my snap off the line, clip it on my belt, then when the other end got down, I'd switch ends. That would keep from wearing spots in the rope from being in the same place day in and day out.

Latest posts

Back