new climbing styles vs. old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true. I think you need to see someone who uses a VT regularly to see the potential. I was using a Blake's on a double crotch transfer last Tuesday, golly-gee, what a PITA.

No doubt I'm gonna put many more hours on it before I make my final decision. It's way better for ascending. I combined that with my new foot ascender for a sweet little getup but slack tending wasn't as easy as I was hoping. Just gotta spend some more time with it, I s'pose.

you need to close the distance between your knot and pulley, i think.

are you running the pulley from the biner? i ended up putting the pulley on the splittail itself, closing the distance. i liked it better after that.

wait till you get to the prussic. good times.

I bought one of those micro pulleys a few years ago. I was looking forward to using it but was slightly disappointed.

I'm still using the Tautline Hitch...I know, I know. But It's kinda hard making the switch after all these years. I think that's one of the problems with the micro pulley. I don't think it works with the taughtline hitch.

:computer: As far as the mullet, one day it'll be back in style and I'm gonna have a head start on ya.
For what it's worth it's kinda like my little trademark around here. I've had people call for estimates and would ask.."This is the guy with the mullet right?"

I wouldn't get too hung up on a new system Ray. You like what you have, run it. I climb on a Spiderjack and an Icicle hitch closed system which are purebread new school, but I still respect the simplicity of the fixed tail tauline. It may not have some of the other advantages, but simplicity is it's advantage.

Looking sharp up there BTW!

I wouldn't get too hung up on a new system Ray. You like what you have, run it. I climb on a Spiderjack and an Icicle hitch closed system which are purebread new school, but I still respect the simplicity of the fixed tail tauline. It may not have some of the other advantages, but simplicity is it's advantage.

Looking sharp up there BTW!
Nails you're the man! :cheers:
I have been thinking of switching up my descending knot though. Just picking the right day..ya know?

I'm kinda a dip#### when it comes to learning new tricks. :hmm3grin2orange: Hey wait a minute that ain't funny.

you need to close the distance between your knot and pulley, i think.

are you running the pulley from the biner? i ended up putting the pulley on the splittail itself, closing the distance. i liked it better after that.

wait till you get to the prussic. good times.

Yeah, buddy. We talked that over before and that's how I've been running my split and blakes with the pulley snapped onto the split. An improvement for sure.

You might have misunderstood but I have switched ( at least I just started playing with ) the prussik loop VT. In my bag o' goodies from sherrill last week I got a 30" 8 mil beeline to run on my old new england hi vee. It's pretty slick I was just hoping for something more, I guess. Like I said before, when every one around you is strict old school to the bone and you're still a little wet behind the ears, climbing with all these new gizmos seems a bit silly. I'm just gonna keep playing with 'er, put it in some real life work situations slowly and see how it goes. I'm still waitin' for your azz to get down here so I can see a real climber, lol.

Nails you're the man! :cheers:
I have been thinking of switching up my descending knot though. Just picking the right day..ya know?

I'm kinda a dip#### when it comes to learning new tricks. :hmm3grin2orange: Hey wait a minute that ain't funny.

Hey Ray, are you working with any other climbers that are up on the new gear? If so, you could try some new stuff without spending the bucks.

It'll take time to feel completely comfortable with any change you make, that's the challenge.

I've got the biner to the D, then the flip line through the swivel you then tie your prussic outside of the swivel using a Distel? Excuse me I'm frying whats left of brain with this. I originally pictured the knot on the inside with the tail of the flip line hanging out of the hole in the swivel.

I know we can rectify this! LOL

Hey Ray, are you working with any other climbers that are up on the new gear? If so, you could try some new stuff without spending the bucks.

It'll take time to feel completely comfortable with any change you make, that's the challenge.
The only climbers I have around me are dangerous free climbers. Not on my crew, just acquaintance's. These guys only have one little cheap rope from the dollar store.

They use it to pull the saw up, sloppy chop a few pieces down, lower the saw back down, move to another part of the tree and do it again.
Using nothing but a pair of pole spurs from a pawn shop.

It's bad bro..that's why I like coming in here and talk to some real tree guys.

Get this...they snicker at me for using all the gear I use. But yet when they get a tree they can't handle they show up by here and want me to do it.

It's fun though, I go up and hammer down a tree so fast they can't even keep up, leaving them holding a couple junk/dull saws scratching their heads. :hmm3grin2orange:

I've got the biner to the D, then the flip line through the swivel you then tie your prussic outside of the swivel using a Distel? Excuse me I'm frying whats left of brain with this. I originally pictured the knot on the inside with the tail of the flip line hanging out of the hole in the swivel.

I know we can rectify this! LOL

ok. because i dont know how to operate my computer i can not download any pics to show you. so here's what i am going to attempt to do, write out what it looks like to me.

clip the captive eye swivel biner to your left d ring.

clip dead ended biner/rope snap to right d ring.

go around tree/pole/whatever you want to use to pretend you are tied in and almost ready to lean back with the rope and then slide it through (from front to back) into the captive eye.

now you are looking down at the rope going through the eye.

tie the distel to the rope. tie set dress the knot.

on either side of the rope, tie a scaffold/doublefisherman knot TO the captive eye with your prussic. i am using HRC from new england rope. obviously not spliced.

try to take away as much of the distance from the eye to the knot as you can, i have about 3 inches of play in mine.

bang. there it is. from my mind's eye to yours.

now if you really want. go to the buzz and look for a thread started by tom d with captive eye swivel biner flipline in it.

Yeah, buddy. We talked that over before and that's how I've been running my split and blakes with the pulley snapped onto the split. An improvement for sure.

You might have misunderstood but I have switched ( at least I just started playing with ) the prussik loop VT. In my bag o' goodies from sherrill last week I got a 30" 8 mil beeline to run on my old new england hi vee. It's pretty slick I was just hoping for something more, I guess. Like I said before, when every one around you is strict old school to the bone and you're still a little wet behind the ears, climbing with all these new gizmos seems a bit silly. I'm just gonna keep playing with 'er, put it in some real life work situations slowly and see how it goes. I'm still waitin' for your azz to get down here so I can see a real climber, lol.

just the ease of re TIP'n is worth the effort.

lets figure something out man. for real. it'll be a good time. supposedly there is a GTG going on soon out around our area. we should aim for that if it isnt a day of work that brings us upon a meeting.

just the ease of re TIP'n is worth the effort.

lets figure something out man. for real. it'll be a good time. supposedly there is a GTG going on soon out around our area. we should aim for that if it isnt a day of work that brings us upon a meeting.

Eh, I can retip my split w/ blakes. The vt tends nicer just not as nice as I was hoping. And what mI gonna do, rename myself VTmaster? Where's this gtg at anywho?

The only climbers I have around me are dangerous free climbers. Not on my crew, just acquaintance's. These guys only have one little cheap rope from the dollar store.

They use it to pull the saw up, sloppy chop a few pieces down, lower the saw back down, move to another part of the tree and do it again.
Using nothing but a pair of pole spurs from a pawn shop.

It's bad bro..that's why I like coming in here and talk to some real tree guys.

Get this...they snicker at me for using all the gear I use. But yet when they get a tree they can't handle they show up by here and want me to do it.

It's fun though, I go up and hammer down a tree so fast they can't even keep up, leaving them holding a couple junk/dull saws scratching their heads. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep, you've come to the right place then. It's fun having you around, you add some good flavor!:cheers:

Yep, you've come to the right place then. It's fun having you around, you add some good flavor!:cheers:
Thanks :cheers:..Yeah I catch myself telling people about this site often, few customers even.
The potty mouth sensor guys keep busting me though. Sometimes it just takes the right words to make your point.
But yeah I'm adjusting. I don't want the boot just yet.

new lanyard idea

speaking of new technique vs. old, check out this lanyard idea on the new posts list

'great lanyard idea'

...its not worth all of the time I would have to take it slow and low to learn it because my productivity would suffer during that amount of time and I hate being unproductive....its not good for business.:cool:

Man, can't stand the idea of letting that comment slide. That kind of thinking just burns me.(sorry) That ideology don't compute in this ol' brain of mine. I'd sacrifice NOW the un-productiveness and slowness of learning something new, to learn something for years and years that will be more productive down the road... it's good for business.

That's the way I see it.

StihlRockin'

new style

he prob live in a cave, heats eats and sees by campfire, rides a horse to work and uses the buggy to haul tools , brush, etc

I am exposed to all the new stuff, am always speaking with innovators...

I can certainly understand the comfortability factor, and I'm not discounting that, but outside of that, just because you've been doing something for 10 years doesn't mean it can't be improved upon, right?

This thread has many good points. Make sure you're comfortable with what you're doing.
-Sean

Being comfortable with what your doing, while working at height, is king in my book, but at the same time it's like you said, you got to keep learning, keep trying new things, keep adding to your knowledge base in order to refine that workflow. It's true not every gadget or technique is necessary or beneficial in every circumstance but when the need arises and you know all this stuff; it sure makes things a lot easier. -Josh

Back