new climbing styles vs. old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mr dunlap, sir.

you still running a distel on your flipline prussic? i just moved on from the steelcore/microcender to a rope flip with a prussic and have been searching the site looking for the best option....

what are you up to regarding fliplines and their set up?

thanks

I was taught young in an older climbing style with shortcuts and adaptations but over time I change and use things that work and make life easier. I have been using a self made split tail and I usually tie a Blake's so that the ends of my rope don't get over worn and pretty much anything within reason that helps. The only thing I am not into is switching my flip line knot for a Petzl or a Gibbs, I have seen them fail and don't fully trust them. I use a bit of both and it works well for me. I have never seen two climber's that climb alike so you really have a mixed bag as far as preferences.

mr dunlap, sir.

Uh...less formal, please :)

Tom is what I go by...

I use an ISC swivel eye locking carabiner for my lanyard. The rope goes through the eye. New England Tech Cord is tied to the eye using scaffold hitches and a distel for adjustment. the eye in the biner acts as a slack tender. This setup is SOOOO compact and easy to adjust. It's not expensive either!

Being able to move the lanyard to my front dee for better work positioning makes this a very versatile setup. The lanyard becomes a short, SRT, climbing line.

There are plenty of pictures of the setup at the website that Mark Chisholm and I host. I'm not sure if I can name the site these days. If you need a link, email me and I'll get you there.

There are plenty of pictures of the setup at the website that Mark Chisholm and I host. I'm not sure if I can name the site these days. If you need a link, email me and I'll get you there.

Nope, still blocked, you'll have to link the pics or something. I can never remember my name/password over there, I go so seldom.

thank you....tom.

i actually have that biner!

i went with a tenex prussic and a pulley on a snap on a petzl biner. lottsa stuff, especially with the twisted clevis.

as i picture it in my mind though, your setup is clutter free man. i like. gonna have to go have a little looksie at your rig.

truth be told i pinched from you previously, hence the respect thing. lol. not sure if you still run your climbing system the same or not but i saw a pic and explanation when i moved onto the splittail with a blakes. so thanks for that.

Nope, still blocked, you'll have to link the pics or something. I can never remember my name/password over there, I go so seldom.

Why not a mysterious name...uh...like...John Paul Sanborn :)

You're missing out by not coming over JPS. If you need help getting your password setup again, send me an email and I think that I can get it straightened for you.

Tenex isn't a favorite for places where there's friction. There are plenty of other fibers that work well. And...most of them are smaller diameter which leads to a more compact setup.

I climb SRT using the Unicender. When I have to climb trad/DdRT I have to think very carefully about the setup because my muscle memory, mental and physical, isn't tuned to DdRT anymore.

Dear god, I climbed on a closed system for the first time in over a year just yesterday. How awful. Constantly untying and retying the climbing hitch.........add a split tail and recrotching, or releasing your climbing line is nothing more than a click of a rope snap.

Tell ya what, I'll never forget to bring my own gear to a job again, jeez!

Self-tending flipline? Like, it adjusts itself? What do you mean by this?

I ask because I've never had a flipline that's ever required slack tending. Maybe I missed that along the way. I just can't see why anyone would use a flipline system that required you to tend slack. That would be counter-productive and unnecessarily slow, extra effort, inefficient.

I'm not throwing a flame. I really would like to know. I am very much a noobie to a flipline adjustment that requires you to tend slack. A pic would be very helpful.... not of the self-tending type; that's all I'm familiar with. Anybody.

Dear god, I climbed on a closed system for the first time in over a year just yesterday. How awful. Constantly untying and retying the climbing hitch.........add a split tail and recrotching, or releasing your climbing line is nothing more than a click of a rope snap.

Tell ya what, I'll never forget to bring my own gear to a job again, jeez!

I melted a tail just before Christmas, and had to do the same. There's a guy I work with that refuses to use a tail, and I just can't work out why? It's a giant waste of time. He has no concept of 'time is money'.

As soon a I get my Spiderjack I'm going to try to make the Blakes history too!

Self-tending flipline? Like, it adjusts itself? What do you mean by this?

I ask because I've never had a flipline that's ever required slack tending. Maybe I missed that along the way. I just can't see why anyone would use a flipline system that required you to tend slack. That would be counter-productive and unnecessarily slow, extra effort, inefficient.

I'm not throwing a flame. I really would like to know. I am very much a noobie to a flipline adjustment that requires you to tend slack. A pic would be very helpful.... not of the self-tending type; that's all I'm familiar with. Anybody.

yup grab the flip if you need to tighten up and pull man. releases real nice like under weight too.

sweet is one of the adjectives that i have been using when i refer to it, slick could be another.

if i wasnt so bad at the computer i could probably put a pic if it up but i know for a fact that tom d has a couple pics of it at his spot.

i guess you can even use the captive eye biner too, not just the swivel biner.

I have noticed most of these so called "new tools" for climbing have been used for years and years in the rock-climbing and rope-rescue scenes. I use my rock-climbing gear as it is what I am most familiar with having been around it for over 10 years. When I look through the arborist catalogues, they throw in old tools and claim them to be the latest and greates thing to happen to tree climbing when in fact it is nothing new at all...just new to some arborists.
-chad

you use a swivel biner in rock climbing?

I personally do not, however my friends who climb big-walls use them to keep their haul-bags from tangling ropes on mutli-pitch routes.....some folks use them for setting up top-ropes although I think it's rather silly.

Hey did you see the pictures of that self tending flip line with the ISC swivel set up because I really like the sound of it.

Is this sort of the ISC thing you're talking about? This doesn't have a swivel biner. The swivel is not really needed on a rope flipline, but on a wirecore it would serve some benefit.
attachment.php

no that aint it, man.

its a captive eye swivel biner.

biner to the side d ring and the slide the rope through the captive eye. on the captive eye you put the prussic. i am using some HRC **** from new england rope.

scaffold/doublefish knot one end on the captive eye then tie and dress the prussic ( i am using the recommended distel) and then scaffold/doublefish the other end on the other side side of the captive eye.

and presto change-o you got a self tending flipline without all the hardware.

i would take a pic but i got a new laptop and i cant figure out how to post pics. sorry dude, i would love to share with ya and clear up any confusion.

Latest posts

Back