new coil still no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this one used it looks almost new but I think im going to be out the money for it
Looks won't make it run One of my first Stihl 056 Magnum II saws had the SEM module cracked and ran fine for 15 or 20 years It was always stored in the dry but inevitably I had it in the back of the truck on a foggy day and had to replace it. I always figured moisture got in and the smoke got out.

If the magnets on the flywheel are scratched, don’t discount them being bad. A good hit to them can apparently change polarity.

Had an Ms270 without spark here. After swapping and cussing a lot it was ctually the flywheel. Still hard to believe.

Customers, think everything is fixable without spending money.

This happens to me with neighbors wanting favors. I get involved then it ends up costing me money. One wanted a welding job done he needed a piece of steel for a new draw bar for his trailer. He was ripping over the cost. My labor he thought was free. Gas for the welder, gas for the torches and arc rod plus my time. Needless to say I don’t do favors anymore I can’t afford it being retired.

You can say that again. What about when u go to do a service call. Customer called me, says him mower will not start. Go over there and the control wire to starter had come loose, told him bill was 65.00, 40.00 to come out min half hr labor. He said the local mower shop would have came out for free and wasn’t happy about price. (This is after I told him my price just to come out.) he wanted to write me a check but after all the bs I wouldn’t take it.

Or the ones you tell them they need a oil change, oil is burnt. They state to just fix problem and they will change oil. Few weeks later they call u telling u there motor has a hole in it and it’s your fault. I asked them if they had there rec? on the rec it’s stated to change oil ASAP or will have engine problems in my hand writing and put in there customer stated they will change oil, with there signature. But it still my fault and they want me to pay for new motor.

And the one that tell u to fix it ASAP needed it yesterday day. Day later sir mowers ready for pick up. I’ll be there to pick it up but will have you pay you when check comes in at frist of month and it’s the 10th. Sorry sir but to get your mower you will need to pay Frist. Man son it’s my mower and I’ll come and pick it up and will pay you later if I want. I stated does the local mower shop let you do that.

If the magnets on the flywheel are scratched, don’t discount them being bad. A good hit to them can apparently change polarity.

Had an Ms270 without spark here. After swapping and cussing a lot it was ctually the flywheel. Still hard to believe.

It happens, been there but its a hard sell explaining it to anyone,even many experienced mechanics won`t believe it happens,been there. Anyone fixing/repairing small engines will encounter all of the cheapskates alive when it comes to paying for said repair. Much of it due to the commonly felt belief one can just return an item to the big box stores for a replacement or reimbursement. Otherwise there is always a supply of cheap product sitting on the shelves there, most times a repair bill will total close to what a new cheapy can be bought for.

It happens, been there but its a hard sell explaining it to anyone,even many experienced mechanics won`t believe it happens,been there. Anyone fixing/repairing small engines will encounter all of the cheapskates alive when it comes to paying for said repair. Much of it due to the commonly felt belief one can just return an item to the big box stores for a replacement or reimbursement. Otherwise there is always a supply of cheap product sitting on the shelves there, most times a repair bill will total close to what a new cheapy can be bought for.

I just refused a power washer that had a freeze cracked pump told buddy it would cost as much as a new power washer. im going to throw this coil on the other one and see if it gives me spark on that one if not I do have a cood coil on the parts saw buddy gave me I can at least get one going

I have a MS 270 that my Dad bought new ran about 12 tanks of gas then would not start no spark. I found a similar CDI box and it started right up then would not fire again. So ordered a new OEM Stihl CDI box started right up for three times then would not start again. Put a tester on it and no spark. Then I pulled the starter real fast and it started sparking. Pulled the starter like normal and no spark. So maybe I have some flywheel issues. Will check that out Thanks

I have a MS 270 that my Dad bought new ran about 12 tanks of gas then would not start no spark. I found a similar CDI box and it started right up then would not fire again. So ordered a new OEM Stihl CDI box started right up for three times then would not start again. Put a tester on it and no spark. Then I pulled the starter real fast and it started sparking. Pulled the starter like normal and no spark. So maybe I have some flywheel issues. Will check that out Thanks

I don't know what your normal pull or fast pull is,but I was under the impression that you had to pull the cord hard enough for the motor to turn app. 800 RPMs for it to fire. Tom

I don't know what your normal pull or fast pull is,but I was under the impression that you had to pull the cord hard enough for the motor to turn app. 800 RPMs for it to fire. Tom
My issue was the flywheel. Found through a lot of trial and error. Happened to have a 27o and 280 here at the same time. The bad flywheel had surface damage/grinding on the magnets. Nothing crazy, just enough that it took off the factory yellow coating. Swapping the flywheel out in the end remedied the issue.

My issue was the flywheel. Found through a lot of trial and error. Happened to have a 27o and 280 here at the same time. The bad flywheel had surface damage/grinding on the magnets. Nothing crazy, just enough that it took off the factory yellow coating. Swapping the flywheel out in the end remedied the issue.

Good that you found it. Some times you just have to keep looking for the small things. Tom

Back