new coil still no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel2019

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
so I have a stihl saw here that I swapped a new to me coil into and still no spark anyone got any idea on what it could be. I already tried a different plug

Faulty wiring to the kill switch? Make sure everything is clean.

wire is not hooked up to the kill they will get spark like this as long as the brass end does not touch anything it was not btw. I only have the one kill wire and plug wire to use can't go around buying anything else as these are not mine and anything at the local stihl dealer is like 4x the amount im willing to pay

Pea gravel, as in "gravel"? Or broken pieces of aluminum or magnesium?

Pics?????

literal gravel and smoke pieces of the plastic from the old coil. I threw the old coil back in and temporarily buttoned it back up contemplating on handing these back to my customer or not because he is not willing to buy new coils and its not worth my labor fee to sit here and figure them out

Yeah, I gave up on that silly bullchit a long time ago. When they say, "I don't want to spend any money on this........", I say "Why in the hell did you bring it to me???"

I know a brand new coil will be over $100 these saws only sell for $250 to $400 depending on condition. the first couple only needed a carb rebuild tank cleaning one needed a new cylinder jug another didn't need anything but fresh gas.
these last ones both have good compression but no spark I got one coil off a parts saw I know works but I bought this one used it looks almost new but I think im going to be out the money for it

Customers, think everything is fixable without spending money.

This happens to me with neighbors wanting favors. I get involved then it ends up costing me money. One wanted a welding job done he needed a piece of steel for a new draw bar for his trailer. He was ripping over the cost. My labor he thought was free. Gas for the welder, gas for the torches and arc rod plus my time. Needless to say I don’t do favors anymore I can’t afford it being retired.

I just purchased a husky 268xp in excellent condition. But when I checked the on/off switch it had three detents. On/a fake on/off. When you switched from off to the fake on, she no start. Push it a second time she ran. The switch is broken.

Customers, think everything is fixable without spending money.

This happens to me with neighbors wanting favors. I get involved then it ends up costing me money. One wanted a welding job done he needed a piece of steel for a new draw bar for his trailer. He was ripping over the cost. My labor he thought was free. Gas for the welder, gas for the torches and arc rod plus my time. Needless to say I don’t do favors anymore I can’t afford it being retired.

yeah I get people wanting rusted out junk welded back together I have refused more welding jobs then I have taken

Is there a stop switch wire that goes from the stator to the on/off switch? Could it be pinched somewhere? Shorted? Do you have a ohm meter?

Is there a stop switch wire that goes from the stator to the on/off switch? Could it be pinched somewhere? Shorted? Do you have a ohm meter?

the wire is perfect all the switch does is ground it when flipped to off they get spark/run without the top handle/switch I had one running this way 2 weeks ago. just wondering if this coil is any good may put it on the other one with no spark and see could just be the plug wire

Latest posts

Back