"New" Cub Cadet 27 ton at the Pawn shop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensterfly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went into an area pawn shop a few days ago and asked if they might have a log splitter. There was none on display. The manager said "I just might. We haven't even priced it yet. It's two months into default on a loan." So, I asked to see it and he took me to the storage building. There sat this 27 ton Cub Cadet that does not look like it's ever been touched by a round of wood. Not the slightest scratch on fenders, ram, wedge, or beam. Tires look like they've never known dirt.
Now, I don't really need a 27 ton machine for the cord and a half or so I burn each year. I have close to three cords of rounds that need to be split right now and a huge, freshly downed Water Oak, worth about two cords, at the neighbor lady's that is mine whenever I have time for it. I have access to more wood - all Water and Pin Oak with a wee bit of Hickory- than I can ever burn in several lifetimes. I have been conflicted between finding a good used Huskee 22 or maybe a Harbor Freight 7 ton electric.

But... I have two friends/neighbors that are also burners and may be interested in a partnership. One of them is ten years older than me. He sells a few cords a year to folks at his church. The other friend rents a splitter for a weekend each year. Two years of ownership would beat renting for two years. He also is a mechanic and knows hydraulics so that would really be a plus in a partner.

So... The Pawn shop guy says they will probably list it for $900. New ones seem to be running $1500 to $1800.
If they are asking $900, I'm told by Pawn Shop shopper pros that they probably have less than half that amount into it. I'm thinking of going in and offering $750 out the door and see what happens. I probably couldn't lose even at $900. Of course I know there is no warranty on it except for the shop's three day guarantee. They are a big chain and reputable. I know I can order owners' manuals.

Seems like a really good deal to me, especially if I can get even lower than $900. I plan on taking some heavy, fresh cut oak rounds up there for a 'test drive' before I buy.

What do you folks think?

Ken

A lot of CC splitters are MTD (Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, et al.) clones from what I've seen. There may be a few different parts (plastic vs. metal fenders, color scheme, etc.) but they are the same machine. Therefore, compare that CC to the new Troy-Bilt splitters out there.

You may find the beam height of the Huskee/SpeeCo splitter to be at a more comfortable height. The Huskee/SpeeCo built-in log cradle is a nice feature, too.

A lot of CC splitters are MTD (Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, et al.) clones from what I've seen. There may be a few different parts (plastic vs. metal fenders, color scheme, etc.) but they are the same machine. Therefore, compare that CC to the new Troy-Bilt splitters out there.

You may find the beam height of the Huskee/SpeeCo splitter to be at a more comfortable height. The Huskee/SpeeCo built-in log cradle is a nice feature, too.

Roger all that. The CC has diamond plate steel fenders vs plastic on the TB.. The Huskee/SpeeCos are nice, too but the one at he PawnShop where I might be able to score a killer deal is a Cub Cadet. So, is there anything wrong with getting a virtually brand new 27 T CC for $800 to $900?

The 22 ton Huskee is only $100 more brand new with a warranty. I've never been a fan of the MTD design splitters, but I know some have had great luck with them.

The 22 ton Huskee is only $100 more brand new with a warranty. I've never been a fan of the MTD design splitters, but I know some have had great luck with them.

Yes, I've had thoughts along those lines, too, Valkyrie. Of course, the better the deal I can get at the Pawn Shop, the less sense it makes to go with the Huskee 22.

I have the MTD 27 Gold. I believe that is very similar to the unit you are speaking of. I paid $1250.00 plus tax 4 yrs. ago. I split 8 to 10 full cords a year with it. Have had 0 problems. It has split everything I put on it. Would buy another. One thing I've found to be poor is the pump location. It's very close to the ground. I'm very careful pulling it through a field or off road. Don't want to damage the pump or the lines. My uncle's huskee 22 ton pump is mounted the same way. Hope this helps!!!

Buy it at $900, put it on Craigslist for $1200, buy the Huskee 22 ton when it goes on sale for $800-900 and pocket the $300.

I've had mine for 3 years now. I'm very happy with it. No problems. I did put a throttle control on it so I could idle down while taking care of other things. About to take the tarp off of it today and change the hydraulic oil.

Before you consider the purchase, take a look at what happened to mine over this past weekend on this thread. The cylinder is shot, the cylinder mounts are bent, and basically the splitter will cost more to fix than its worth.

The design of this splitter has a known issue, and it happened to mine. The tabs that hold the cylinder to the beam sheared off, pulling a nice sized chunk out of the cylinder with it. Not saying it will happen to yours, but if it does you are screwed.Take my advise, buy yourself a nice Speeco 22 ton and not worry about it. I swore by the Troy Built splitter until this happened.It faithfully plugged away for four years, but once this type of damage occurs( and its just a matter of when, not if) you are screwed.

Read about it here.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/173407.htm

Before you consider the purchase, take a look at what happened to mine over this past weekend on this thread. The cylinder is shot, the cylinder mounts are bent, and basically the splitter will cost more to fix than its worth.

The design of this splitter has a known issue, and it happened to mine. The tabs that hold the cylinder to the beam sheared off, pulling a nice sized chunk out of the cylinder with it. Not saying it will happen to yours, but if it does you are screwed.Take my advise, buy yourself a nice Speeco 22 ton and not worry about it. I swore by the Troy Built splitter until this happened.It faithfully plugged away for four years, but once this type of damage occurs( and its just a matter of when, not if) you are screwed.

Read about it here.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/173407.htm

Do you have any pictures?

Cedarrock, Avalanche posted pictures of his blow out on the thread he mentioned. He also put a link in his above message.

Avalanche, I have read, and re-read your post on the your blow out. I appreciate the cautionary tale. I haven't read of any other incidents like this, though. It does not appear to be epidemic by any means. Most posts by owners of MTD built splitters seem to be pretty happy with them. I know they are not Iron and Oak or Timberwolf or any other high dollar, top of the line splitter. If I had to pay three or four thousand bucks for a splitter I would be forced to split by hand as long as my body holds up. After that I guess I'd just have to turn the heat pumps back on.

I'm not saying your blow out was not a major bummer for you. I just wonder how many such events have happened out of the thousands of MTD splitters sold.

Again, I really do appreciate the warning, though. I'll keep it in mind as I continue my research.

Cedarrock, Avalanche posted pictures of his blow out on the thread he mentioned. He also put a link in his above message.

Avalanche, I have read, and re-read your post on the your blow out. I appreciate the cautionary tale. I haven't read of any other incidents like this, though. It does not appear to be epidemic by any means. Most posts by owners of MTD built splitters seem to be pretty happy with them. I know they are not Iron and Oak or Timberwolf or any other high dollar, top of the line splitter. If I had to pay three or four thousand bucks for a splitter I would be forced to split by hand as long as my body holds up. After that I guess I'd just have to turn the heat pumps back on.

I'm not saying your blow out was not a major bummer for you. I just wonder how many such events have happened out of the thousands of MTD splitters sold.

Again, I really do appreciate the warning, though. I'll keep it in mind as I continue my research.

I did find the pic on that former post. Too bad there isn't a 'too much pressure' relief valve. Looks like something was more than the splitter was capable of handling. I know commonsense plays a critical role in operating such equipment..like..removing the stubborn piece before something like this happens. Not to say the operator had anything to do with it.
:msp_rolleyes:

Hate to bust your bubble, but this is a known issue with these splitters. Here are just a few links out of 912 pages listing this problem, try googling Troy Bilt busted cylinder. Here are a few complete with pictures with a blow out just like mine.

Troy-Bilt Safety alert: log splitter - Router Forums

********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums!

********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums!

Like I said before, it gave no warning. splitting just fine then WHAM!!!! and you got hydralic oil all over the place. I would seriously consider this a major design flaw, and a big safety issue.
Check out
********** | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums! if you want some good pictures of this type of failure.

I did find the pic on that former post. Too bad there isn't a 'too much pressure' relief valve. Looks like something was more than the splitter was capable of handling. I know commonsense plays a critical role in operating such equipment..like..removing the stubborn piece before something like this happens. Not to say the operator had anything to do with it.
:msp_rolleyes:

Well, in all honesty, the operator had everything to do with it. But the problem is, when it comes to splitting wood, how much it too much?Where do you back off the ram?Me, I run the ram forward to the wood and hold it there.If it bogs, back off.If it squeals, back off. But as long as its grunting away and the wood is splitting, I hold it down and let it do its job.After all, isnt that what a splitter is supposed to do?And if the force of 27 tons of pressure is too much for the splitter, then why rate it as much? Maybe a more honest label is called for. Say something like, "Well, its capable of pushing 27 tons, but we highly discourage you doing it.In fact, if you do and the thing blows up in your face, we arent responsible. We aint fixing it, doing your laundry, scraping hydralic fluid off of the neighbors house, buying you a new dog, sending you a new pair of shorts just cause your a momma's boy and crapped your pants cause the loud "BANG" caused you to pass your breakfast right on out.

Back to the topic on hand. This splitter is fine for the casual user. A user that has no intentions of constantly putting that 27 tons to work, and generally busts wood that is easy to split like red oak, cedar, and sycamore. A user that will be satisfied in replacing the cylinder and possibly his shorts after a few years and possibly seek some therapy that specializes in Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome after the hand grenade goes off in his face. A user that enjoys licking hydralic fluid off his T Shirt, his arms, and prefers to walk around for the next sixteen years with a permanent scared look on his face and is perfectly willing to dive under cover every time a truck backfires within three miles. All in all, its a great splitter. Easy to tow around the yard, easy on gas, looks great after you wash it up, and the gals really dig the black and red paint scheme.

Okay seriously. Buy it if you wish, its your coin. My intent was to let you know it has a serious design flaw, it is a known issue, and when it happens you will need a new pair of fruit of the looms. don't push the tonnage rating on the thing too hard, split smaller stuff, and avoid anything with knots or bark on it. Then you should be fine.

And practice your worried look. Your gonna need it.

wanna see what did this thing in? The massive piece of wood that was its undoing?
Here it is, as it still sits under the carport. Nice little chunk of pecan with a knot on one side. Sure, not the easiest thing to bust, but certainly not the worst either.

attachment.php

That piece is almost split diagonally already, and I would have tried in about the same spot. I don't think its an abuse thing, I think its a overuse thing, as in its not designed to work very hard for very long, but may work for a while.

Here are just a few links out of 912 pages listing this problem, try googling Troy Bilt busted cylinder. Here are a few complete with pictures with a blow out just like mine.

Troy-Bilt Safety alert: log splitter - Router Forums

FYI, those two ********** links are for the exact same thread.

Back