New firewood racks fell apart some.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just repaired the new wood racks I built last Fall.
The deck screws used for the cross-member support brackets sheared off and I repaired and replaced them with structural screws.
Hopefully they will not break again.
With the price of lumber lately, I try to utilize every bit of lumber and keep lots for small projects too.
I like keeping busy and building.

IMG_20200516_080041185 - Copy (2).jpg IMG_20200701_172453004 - Copy.jpg

Just repaired the new wood racks I built last Fall.
The deck screws used for the cross-member support brackets sheared off and I repaired and replaced them with structural screws.

They look nice. That's a lot of weight to place on the screws in shear. Maybe consider some 'cripple' or 'jack' studs to help support the load?
Screen shot 2021-04-10 at 10.22.28 PM.png

Philbert

Lumber prices are horrible! I have used almost every scrap I had laying around. Finally me saying "I might need this someday" has come to fruition! To the OP, I wish I had that much wood stored that close to the house!

When delivering firewood I no longer offer stacking.
Aside from "Just stack it in the firewood rack out back." pointing to something half tipped over and 1/4 full of half rotted odd ball pieces cut short and long.
Some want firewood stacked in garages next to cars, or what I was initially getting to, on decks. They have no idea how much firewood weighs, and the combined live load/dead load limits of how their deck is built. Yep, just carry that 4,000 pound cord up five steps and put it right there, next to the door.
When I've politely explained that weight wise, your talking the weight of a car, most of them say just put half of it there then.
I often loose customers when they ask about stacking on the phone.
I'm liking the dump and go the few orders I've done that way.

When delivering firewood I no longer offer stacking.
Aside from "Just stack it in the firewood rack out back." pointing to something half tipped over and 1/4 full of half rotted odd ball pieces cut short and long.
Some want firewood stacked in garages next to cars, or what I was initially getting to, on decks. They have no idea how much firewood weighs, and the combined live load/dead load limits of how their deck is built. Yep, just carry that 4,000 pound cord up five steps and put it right there, next to the door.
When I've politely explained that weight wise, your talking the weight of a car, most of them say just put half of it there then.
I often loose customers when they ask about stacking on the phone.
I'm liking the dump and go the few orders I've done that way.
I've sold cordwood on a small scale in the past. A woman asked for 1/2 cord / 64 cuft delivered.

When I got there, she wanted it stacked on the deck, the deck was 2nd story. Nope!!! I'd take it home before that.

I help a fella split wood and he charges a pretty hefty price $300 a cord, but he delivers and stacks it anywhere. He's even gotten tips on 300/cord by stacking in rediculous places. He says the hard ones the easy ones and the tips even it out at the end of the day.

Today my rack system came up as a google photos memory. Last spring I spent 20 hours repairing and waste oil coating my machine moveable seasoning racks... but I didn't have to do a single wheelbarrow load from the pile to the boiler during the snow season! Was up to 5 day sometimes before the racks.

marine5068, they look good. I'm guessing if there were 4 screws in the horizontal pieces they would have held. Is the top braced on the far side to the floor joists like the near side?
Yes the tops of the studs are just kind of tacked in to the joists to stop them from leaning a bit as I load the wood.
The bottoms sit on hard gravel but the one set of racks on the right side of the house, I had to place patio stones under the studs to stop them from sinking into the ground and tearing out at the top.
Definitely a lot of weight on the racks when they're full.
It is nice to have almost 3 cords of wood right outside the door and the woodstove is about 15 feet inside that door.
Now the next project begins across the driveway from the front door, building a new lean-to holding about 7-9 cords more.
Got most of the wood for the structure already and all of the metal for the roof but I may have to go visit the Menonites near me for some roof rafter material.
I want to do something like this...
8x20-woodbin-large-firewood-storage-shed-utah.jpg

Here's one I built for storing logs under my outdoor deck using 2 x 4 hardwood. Four carriage bolts hold the verticals to the base boards. I notched the joints and used screws. I eventually positioned the verticals so that the four horizontal shorts are on the outside and added a pair of short legs to the center for more strength. Simple, but effective: if I had more room I would have built several.

1618600774052.png

Back