New firewood saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$1340 I think. I sold them the ultra light bar back for $100. So $1240PHO

They didn’t say why they couldn’t reorder. But Stihl has been stringing us along on these things for 2 years now so I doubt it’s Covid related.
The power to weight ratio sold me.I also like the smaller and simpler clutch cover and the bar nuts that you can’t loose. Vapor lock during hot weather on the M Tronic pretty well soured me on it. It was unavoidable when working in 100 plus temps. But I loved the air filter not getting dirty often on my 441, I understand that the 500 doesn’t have that same “clean air” technology I think.
It was expensive, but if I bought a 460 and had mastermind do it it would be that same price.
regardless It’s gonna pay me back what I spent minus my trade before Monday so as long as it eats wood like promised and I get 200 cords before it need anything from the shop I’m tickled.

Love to hear a 10 cord; 100 cord; and 200 cord review!
What length bar? Type two cycle mix? Does it seem different in any noticeable way, like starting? Is there a choke setting? (probably not)
No choke. It has a primer bulb and a stop switch, I’m guessing the primer bulb is the weak link.
I run Stihl ultra oil in 92 octane.
18” bar. I’m guessing I’ll need to put a bigger rim sproket on.
it feels like a Stihl saw, so the handles and Controls are in the same spot.
felling dogs are small, like what you’d run on a 360.
so far all I know about performance is the motor revs instantly.

First cord down. With the 7 pin rim it paces right with my mastermind 441. I’ll install an 8 pin when I get a chance. Burnt 3/4 a tank of fuel, but the tank seems a lot bigger. The throttle is super peppy and I could push on it crazy hard and not make it bog in 18” dead mesquite.
Antivibe feels loose on the bench, but feels really nice in the wood. It’s a little odd like your running a 362 that has a ton of power. Starts first pull, half a pull once it’s warm.
Only complaint today is the chain brake is very sensitive. Takes half the force of anything stihl I’ve run before.

Attachments

• CEBE2B03-FA55-40D0-A653-FA197FE0494A.jpeg
    CEBE2B03-FA55-40D0-A653-FA197FE0494A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 40
Got one myself a week ago. I'm going to say it was worth the wait. I'm running a 24" light bar myself and it balances out very well. I wasn't thrilled about the primer bulb but only have to use it when saw is cold is what I am finding. Performance is similar to the 462 but I believe there is a bit more grunt to the 500i.

20201127_075823.jpg

I’ve put a good bit of wood on this saw now.
it broke in fast, 2 tanks far as I could tell. I’m definitely happy with it.
Negatives:
Burns a lot of fuel, I run premium and about 45:1 Stihl ultra. But the tank is big so it’s not a big deal. Just an observation.
It’s a touch cold natured when it cranks. You have to let it idle 20-30 seconds maybe.
The felling spikes on it are a little small for the saw. I assume they are for weight savings.
the attached bar nuts are a smidge too thin for my fat fingers.
Positive:
The thing rips. Tons of torque.
Idles and starts like a dream, instant throttle response.
I love those built in bar nuts even though they are thin. I have noticed they need to be really tight or they rattle loose. Not sure what’s up with that. I rattled a nut loose twice in the first 5 tanks before figure out to tighten them more than normal, that’s odd because I loose maybe one nut a year.
great antivibe, feels like your running a 361
Love the light weight.
Love the stop button

I’m hoping when it’s time to trade I can order a mastermind, also hoping they come down $300 in price once the supply is good.

So I’ve worn out my first rim sprocket on the 500i. its worse than the pic looks, was eating the drum with a worn out chain on. Swapped it because all the chains on the truck today were stretched to max and needed links. But the magic larger rim sproket lets you run them forever without adding links.
Anyways at this point some more
observations:
1. Saw is much more impressive with 8 pin rim.
2. the kill switch gets stuck now. Maybe 1/3 the time I have to fiddle with it to get it to pop back out.
3. primer bulb is getting soft. I’ll be calling my dealer tomorrow to try and order a spare for the truck.
4. I’ve cleaned the air filter a few times now. It’s letting in more fines than previous saws I’ve owned. I donno if it needs a outerwear like the old saws or what. But the filter is really easy to just tap out the dust.
5. clutch may be getting weak.
6. Still burning a ton of fuel. It’s fast so that’s not a complaint, just an observation.

I donno how many cords it’s cut because I have poor accounting. But I had a record December so I should be at the 50 mark easy

Attachments

• F88D152E-F91D-4192-A0B2-AC4DBCCE7365.jpeg
    F88D152E-F91D-4192-A0B2-AC4DBCCE7365.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 6D369819-D172-4E25-A73E-35E7979E3A25.jpeg
    6D369819-D172-4E25-A73E-35E7979E3A25.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Do you run your chain that loose all the time?
I just picked one up the other day, feels just like my jonsered 2171 but with more zip.
I start with it tight. Most the time I can get a whole cord cut without throwing the chain off.

Back