New Firewood Scrounging:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sent out some ads to local tree service companies/guys for tree removal pick up or drop off at my site.
Hope I get some bites.
How do you all do it ?
I keep my eyes open for trees that need taken down. Often a homeowner will let you have it, and if it isn’t too close to a house or building I will take it. My brother has a creek full of oak he lets me cut in, and my neighbor farmer has wood all over his pasture bottoms. I help him fix fence and move cattle and he lets me cut wherever I want.

As said before you just need to keep making contacts. I'm pulling wood from three places 2 were word of mouth and one was a craigslist add. The big one is on 40 plus acres where the owner is having it logged . They aren't interested in the small or twisted stuff. So plenty of tops and collateral damaged trees.
2nd is mostly dead ash that we approached the owner about. Power company came and cut the trees near their lines but all they did was top them . Left about 15 10 foot stumps and the tops where they fell.
3rd again is a property owner that wants all the dead ash removed from his 25 acre plot . And anything down or dead. That's where I got the last load on hickory from.

I'll be set for the next 5 to 10 years for firewood and the funny thing is I didn't have enough this fall for this season.

Just remember if you take down a tree on someone else's property and damage something, or worse yet hurt someone, you maybe paying the rest of your life for a load of wood.

I have a couple farmer friends with dead Ash all over their farms, so I can cut all I want. Drop, take the wood, leave the rest. Their farm hands clean up all of the debris.

Just remember if you take down a tree on someone else's property and damage something, or worse yet hurt someone, you maybe paying the rest of your life for a load of wood.

I have a couple farmer friends with dead Ash all over their farms, so I can cut all I want. Drop, take the wood, leave the rest. Their farm hands clean up all of the debris.
I wont take down any tree that's close to a building just not worth it. All the wood I've been getting is in the woods so no buildings. And no one around .

I'm pretty spoiled here as all of my wood and cutting is done on the family farm. I have access to tractors when needed for the big trees. Most of the time I use the truck or lately been using the Ranger and ATV if the snow isn't too deep. I can get down into the timber and into tighter spots with the quad and Ranger. I'll get some pictures loaded up.

Some pictures of loads and how we get our wood out.
cced6aa264d092267326b57b53fa8438.jpg
0e566622127ae8d34008b6f49eacb3dd.jpg
30c31f020fec936575277a6c2a3929fe.jpg
f4368cff19955153c42ebb571596690e.jpg
455a908f075f9b9790e529937b898fff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

When we can plan on a couple days of cutting, clearing and dragging, there is a skidder we borrow. That's fun to experience how much work they can accomplish. Oh, we use the heck out this little trailer as you can see. My brother and I built it out of some angle iron and a mini van axle. Small burr mill is what the hitch came from.
0b5f1efcccbc6868a73f40a23c12a99a.jpg
daa1383dfec9677c1ddaaaaa986287f2.jpg
f116123da3e4e492dc3ed96362c0115b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Here's my wood scrounging rig, tows 1000 lbs of wood no problem. Bolted a second 2" ball to the back of my 4x8 trailer so I could tow the splitter at the same time. Park it right on the side of the road when I see wood and split it right on the spot. I never split wood at my house makes a huge mess. This was I throw it right on the pile when get home. Had three people stop and compliment the rig today while i was splitting on the side of the road :)

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back