New, Flat Scrench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The scrench is probably the most widely recognized chainsaw tool. It is probably also the most frequently lost. While we could carry a separate wrench and screwdriver, few do. And if you look in catalogs, you will find dozens of variations of the classic 'T' style scrench, which is simple to use, but hard to fit in a pocket.

So I was interested in this flat, folding design offered by OTT (www.3ott.com). It consists of a machined aluminum handle, with a folding screwdriver, and a pivoting socket (13mm and 19mm) that fits the bar nuts on many saws.

IMG_5912.jpg

The tool comes in 2 models: a standard version; and one with 3, rare earth magnets added to help keep the scrench handy and bar nuts from being dropped into deep grass, water, mud, . . .

In addition to folding flat to fit in your pocket, the scrench comes with 2 other 'harder-to-lose' features: a large hole for attaching it to a small carabineer or tether (not included); and reflective tape in high-viz orange or yellow, to make it easier to find, once dropped. Even in the dark.

The 'Hi-Viz Saw Wrench' feels well made and finished. It is made in the USA. The reflective tape looks like it is part of the tool, not just something stuck on afterwards.

The handle provides a larger, more comfortable grip than the screwdriver shaft of a standard scrench, and the pivoting socket lets you position it at a right angle for leverage, or in-line, like a nut driver, for starting the nuts.

IMG_5913.jpg

Philbert

The scrench is probably the most widely recognized chainsaw tool. It is probably also the most frequently lost. While we could carry a separate wrench and screwdriver, few do. And if you look in catalogs, you will find dozens of variations of the classic 'T' style scrench, which is simple to use, but hard to fit in a pocket.

So I was interested in this flat, folding design offered by OTT (www.3ott.com). It consists of a machined aluminum handle, with a folding screwdriver, and a pivoting socket (13mm and 19mm) that fits the bar nuts on many saws.

View attachment 545161

The tool comes in 2 models: a standard version; and one with 3, rare earth magnets added to help keep the scrench handy and bar nuts from being dropped into deep grass, water, mud, . . .

In addition to folding flat to fit in your pocket, the scrench comes with 2 other 'harder-to-lose' features: a large hole for attaching it to a small carabineer or tether (not included); and reflective tape in high-viz orange or yellow, to make it easier to find, once dropped. Even in the dark.

The ' Hi Viz Saw Wrench' feels well made and finished. It is made in the USA. The reflective tape looks like it is part of the tool, not just something stuck on afterwards.

The handle provides a larger, more comfortable grip than the screwdriver shaft of a standard scrench, and the pivoting socket lets you position it at a right angle for leverage, or in-line, like a nut driver, for starting the nuts.

View attachment 545162

Philbert
Cool. I just bought a Craftsman offset ratcheting box end to get the bar nuts under the 3/4 wrap. $12. May add hi vis. I have painted my nuts KubotaOrange...now my hand is Kubota Orange too[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Cool. I just bought a Craftsman offset ratcheting box end to get the bar nuts under the 3/4 wrap. $12. May add hi vis. I have painted my nuts KubotaOrange...now my hand is Kubota Orange too[emoji4]

Please......no need for pictures. :crazy2:

Funny as I just saw something similar on eBay for 30 bucks. How much are those?
Check the website for pricing - it varies with the model. Not sure about shipping. There is also an earlier 13mm only version that has a sliding screwdriver, instead of a pivoting one.

This is just me being super nitpicky but could they have made the sockets six point?
I get it. Not my design, just doing a review. The 12 point socket does provide more placement options, which can be an advantage sometimes. And the argument could be made that bar nuts should never be that tight where it becomes an issue. But I understand your point, especially with rounded off nuts.

Philbert

Are you able to get enough leverage to get the nuts tight enough? I have a old " flat " style scrench that I was on a quest for a while back and it works well. We also sell the Stihl MT1 and MT2 and I don't feel like they get the bar nuts that snug.. yes Yes I know tightie whities would fix the tightness issue :eek:

http://*********************/attachment.php?attachmentid=36776&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1320840229

00008826500.jpg

Are you able to get enough leverage to get the nuts tight enough?
I think so, based on my experimentation so far. Will have to try it some more in longer term use.

I have been taught that some people crank bar nuts much tighter than needed, and have had the experience of twisting the shaft of a conventional scrench into a spiral, like a piece of wet spaghetti, trying to loosen bar nuts that someone had cranked with a socket and ratchet after losing their scrench. It was a an MS250, and I was surprised that they did not strip the studs or the plastic case.

Had to search quite a bit for STIHL MT1 and MT2 since your link was obstructed. Don't seem to be offered on the STIHL USA page, but maybe dealers can get them? Looks like 13/19mm, chain tension screwdriver, T27 Torx, and carb screwdriver (MT2)? Maybe the plastic / polymer case affects your ability to apply enough torque?

Here are a few items from my personal scrench ('combination wrench') collection, including another 'flat' scrench (!), and an Oregon branded multi-tool: Some of these will work with some saws; some will not, due to bar nut size, wrap handle bars, depth, access, etc. You can see some visibility and loss prevention attributes as well. Some are easier to carry, and keep track of, than others.

IMG_5921.jpg

Philbert

Pics please!!!!
20140712_162713.jpg Not up close but this 046 painted. Of course with captive nuts now I have to check wive's purse. I like old way, if you lost a nut, you just kept moving, maybe a bit slower.

Can't say I've lost one. Seems like can never find one in the shop, even with probably a dozen of them floating around, but mostly because they end up in the back 40 corner, having kinky orgies or something. Gloves, tape measures, pens, and notepads seem to do the same too.

Can't say I've lost one. Seems like can never find one in the shop, even with probably a dozen of them floating around, but mostly because they end up in the back 40 corner, having kinky orgies or something. Gloves, tape measures, pens, and notepads seem to do the same too.
Along with circlips

I wanted to try the tools on a bunch of different saws, so, after testing it on the mix of working and non-working saws that I could access at home, I stopped by a couple of local saw dealers to try it on their floor models, and get their input. I can't say that it will work on every saw (I did not have any full wrap handles to try it on), but it fit pretty much every saw I tried, including: consumer, mid range, and pro saws from a variety of manufacturers, and of different vintages, as long as they used the 13mm or 19mm bar nuts.

On some saws, the bar nuts are recessed deeper into the clutch covers, leaving little to no hand clearance, and requiring the handle to be tilted at a steeper angle. The wide 'stirrup' holding the pivoting socket might interfere with deep recessed covers on some saws. Compatibility can only be confirmed by trying the tool with a specific saw.

IMG_5898.jpg IMG_5905.jpg

OTT provides special bar nuts described to provide 'more surface contact' with the magnetic socket. These bar nuts are noticeably taller than the OEM STIHL and Husky nuts, so they should help with deep recesses on clutch covers (unless they are 'captured' nuts).

IMG_5909.jpg

One thing that this scrench will not work on is spark plugs; the compact socket does not have a hole for the electrode to fit through, even if it did reach. So, if you pull your plugs frequently, you would need an additional tool, like a standard scrench, or an automotive type spark plug socket in your tool kit.

Philbert

Back