New, Flat Scrench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The RatchetScrench is heat-treated 45# high-carbon steel so bent handles or spiraling won't be a problem. (The flathead tip can even withstand a 4' drop directly onto concrete with no problem).

The finish is nickel-plating, which helps resist rust. To spray paint nickel-plating, you'd probably want an etching primer, followed by an enamel paint. It'd be cool to see some custom colors by you guys!

Just received your order, Philbert...I'll get that out, today, and look forward to your reveiw! Thanks so much!
Cool idea, looks like a handy tool!
Just curious, where is this tool made?
I want to buy a few of these, how much is shipping generally?
Thank you.

Cool idea, looks like a handy tool!
Just curious, where is this tool made?
I want to buy a few of these, how much is shipping generally?
Thank you.
Thanks, RedFir.. The RatchetScrench is made by good people in China. (No child-labor). While we may eventually add a manufacturer in the USA, for now we are happy to offer this quality tool at an affordable and competitive price. And for what it's worth, the business is owned by me, a red-blooded American--born and raised :)
If you're ordering a few tools, your best bet is probably Priority mail which will be around $7.75 (I can fit up to 8 in a flat-rate envelope). However I did just mail a single tool from CA to VT for $5.00 (USPS First Class, 3-days). Two tools with USPS First Class is about $5.75, CA to NC, so I'd guess that three going to ID would be around $6.
Hope that helps and hope to see your REVIEW! (i sware, eye cen spel) :)

I painted my scrench orange. I lost it in the leaves in the fall foliage colors.
Watch what colors you choose.
I am color blind, so I stay away from red. But sometimes, any solid color will make the shape stand out. You can see, in some of the earlier photos in this thread, how some reflective tape really lights up at night. Or, you can do the standard trick of finding it with your lawnmower.

I am always amazed how some places like Cabela's can get away with charging guys more money for a camo flashlight, knife, cell phone case, etc., which is easier to lose, so that the guy has to go back and buy it again.

Philbert

I am color blind, so I stay away from red. But sometimes, any solid color will make the shape stand out. You can see, in some of the earlier photos in this thread, how some reflective tape really lights up at night. Or, you can do the standard trick of finding it with your lawnmower.

I am always amazed how some places like Cabela's can get away with charging guys more money for a camo flashlight, knife, cell phone case, etc., which is easier to lose, so that the guy has to go back and buy it again.

Philbert
I painted my scrench orange. I lost it in the leaves in the fall foliage colors.
Good point, thank you. In the Sierras there's Wolf Lichen:
1592626433526.png
...which makes neon green (chartreuse) a no-go, as well, in my opinion.
Hot pink is starting to make sense :laugh:

Philbert

I wanted to paint my Jeep tractor in camo. As long as it’s running I could find it. Once it runs out of gas I’d never find it. Lol I’d need to throw a fishing magnet to hear the clunk when the magnet hits it. Lmao

Hot pink is starting to make sense
Actually, 'hot pink' is a color I can see, but does not 'jump out' at me. This was a problem in a former occupation as a land surveyor, where my partner would use hot pink flagging ribbon and I would walk right over it. But I could spot royal blue at quite a distance. A variety of colors might be a good option, as well as let members of a crew tell their tools apart.

Philbert

Personally I'd want the pink in a reflective tape w/ clear double walled adhesive lined heat shrink over it. It would stand out, be reflective and gave the handle a bit of cushion.

The scrench is probably the most widely recognized chainsaw tool. It is probably also the most frequently lost. While we could carry a separate wrench and screwdriver, few do. And if you look in catalogs, you will find dozens of variations of the classic 'T' style scrench, which is simple to use, but hard to fit in a pocket.

So I was interested in this flat, folding design offered by OTT (www.3ott.com). It consists of a machined aluminum handle, with a folding screwdriver, and a pivoting socket (13mm and 19mm) that fits the bar nuts on many saws.

View attachment 545161

The tool comes in 2 models: a standard version; and one with 3, rare earth magnets added to help keep the scrench handy and bar nuts from being dropped into deep grass, water, mud, . . .

In addition to folding flat to fit in your pocket, the scrench comes with 2 other 'harder-to-lose' features: a large hole for attaching it to a small carabineer or tether (not included); and reflective tape in high-viz orange or yellow, to make it easier to find, once dropped. Even in the dark.

The 'Hi-Viz Saw Wrench' feels well made and finished. It is made in the USA. The reflective tape looks like it is part of the tool, not just something stuck on afterwards.

The handle provides a larger, more comfortable grip than the screwdriver shaft of a standard scrench, and the pivoting socket lets you position it at a right angle for leverage, or in-line, like a nut driver, for starting the nuts.

View attachment 545162

Philbert
Nice, but it won’t fit in my scrench holders I have on each saw :p

Latest posts

Back