New Gear - some questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What harness? It sounds like it might be a size too big.

Your approach to tree climbing is one that is likely to lead to an accident. the place to learn is NOT off the ground by yourself. Low and slow means learning on the ground first.

How else are you learning?

The questions that you're asking can't be answered simply. The answers are complex and require a lot of time to write. The answers have already been written and are in the archives of this website and others. Take time to read and learn before you go off the ground.

Are you reading other forums too? If not, let me know, I'll send you links.

Well, I've learned the knots and hang just above the ground practicing getting down. Not sure what else to do on the ground.

The saddle I'm using comes in two sizes. I have the smallest. If you look up thread there is a link to the kit I bought.

At this point I am just going up and down. How else would one learn how to do it other than doing it?

Don't think I am doing this pell mell. I spend a great deal of time thinking about what I am going to do before I do it.

Why don't you go ahead and post links to the other sites? I will check them out.

I understand that there is a learning curve. But, unless I actually do something I will not learn.

I'll let Tom clear up the "Darin" thing. People replying to your inquires want to help, but like myself are cautious and don't want to contribute to a fall or injury. Jepsons book is good and the internet is a great way to share ideas. There is no replacement for hands on instruction. Did you know that 50% of falls from 10 feet are fatal. Looking at the contents of the kit you bought indicates it came with a Petzl Navaho saddle. Probably one of the most lightweight uncomfortable saddles made. I should know I have one, but don.t use it. The system you bought is a rope walker, a more advanced system then most production tree climbers use. Rec climbers making long ascents use it, in my experience a tough system to start with. If you asked most climbers if they started with this system they would say no. They may have progressed up to it. Don't get discouraged it will get easier. You need a positioning lanyard, aka scare strap,chicken strap . Your kit did not come with one. This will allow you a second tie in so you can switch over to decent or position yourself for a cut or prevent a swing on a limb walk. It also lets you step off on a branch and slacken your climbing line and give your jewels a rest. To climb comfortably your feet must take your weight in conjuntion with your climbing line. Of course there are times when you are only supported by the rope, but not all the time. Equiptment manufacurer Petzl has some good illustrations :deadhorse:http://www.petzl.com/files/all/us/activities/pro/work-techniques-tree-care.pdf

Take a look and see if there is a batten seat available for your harness, that will improve comfort quite a bit.

Good to see that you got your DdRT system working. Keep practicing on that and you'll improve your climbing efficiency while getting stronger at the same time.
-moss

Latest posts

Back