New guy needs first big one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After working with some experienced individuals the past day or two I’m thinking of the 65cc 391. It has 25” capability and is easier on the pocketbook at the moment. As I gain more experience I’ll eventually move up to a 75+. I greatly appreciate all the advice and expertise y’all have sent my way.

Now I need to figure out what manufacturer to go with for a 25” bar and what kind of chain to get setup.

OP if Im carrying a 14 plus pound saw it better be at the minimum a husky 365 special. 391s are heavy for the power they make.

My 044 probably weighs less then the 391 and would cut circles around one. Bet you could buy a used 044 for less then a new 391..

If you are looking for a 60cc class saw treat yourself to a 562xp, 262xp, stihl 362, 036 or a similar saw.

Get a good used pro saw and I promise you will never regret it.

Hambone, my buddy has a 390 stihl.

He thought it was a great saw and it was all he needed.

Then he tried my old 044 with a 25" bar. The smile on his face said it all.

After he ran my 044 and saw how fast it cut he understood. He couldnt believe how much work a 72cc saw will do in a fraction of the time.

The joke is he bought his stihl new from a dealer.

He has probably more then 2x the money in his saw then I have in any saw I have. That includes my 044, 562xp or my 576xp. My saws will absolutely cut circles around his.

Find a good used pro saw and go cutting.

Hello all new guy here.

I’m in need of some advice.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Hambone, you didn't really want advise did you? I didn't see one person tell you to get a 391. Go ahead and get one. Non-pro saw for a non-pro. Sheesh!!!!!!!

This happens a lot.

:angry:

Hambone, you didn't really want advise did you? I didn't see one person tell you to get a 391. Go ahead and get one. Non-pro saw for a non-pro. Sheesh!!!!!!!

Yes I did want advice.

Yes I am a non-pro. Which is exactly why I came here asking for advice.

I’m going to equate this to “my world”. I’m a gun guy, when someone starts asking me questions about trap shooting I do my best to advise them on there current situation. I only saw 1 person on here advise me against a 70+ saw due to my lack of experience.

I’m going to get some experience and as I “graduate” I’ll proceed to get the real big boys.

The OP has never used a saw over 50CC's. I was half saying the 660 tongue in cheek. It is a smooth mild mannered saw. But, compared to what he's been running, by the time he pulled the trigger on the 028, the 660 would be through the log and in the dirt. That 3120 is a smokin deal, but I think we are leading the OP down the wrong path.

So what has your head spinning? You mentioned cutting wood 48" occasionally up to 60". If your great dealer support is recommending a 391 for that work I would say that's not very supportive advice.

So what has your head spinning? You mentioned cutting wood 48" occasionally up to 60". If your great dealer support is recommending a 391 for that work I would say that's not very supportive advice.

The variety of options at my fingertips. Other than spending $1000 on what avenues do I have? That’s what has my head spinning.

I can’t help if you get butt hurt because I’m wanting to go with a different brand than your brand of choice. Chevy vs Ford big guy.

The variety of options at my fingertips. Other than spending $1000 on what avenues do I have? That’s what has my head spinning.

I can’t help if you get butt hurt because I’m wanting to go with a different brand than your brand of choice. Chevy vs Ford big guy.
Not butt hurt here, you can't buy my favorite brand in a store anymore. If it's gonna be Stihl, for $1000, and a 32" bar(occasionally), there aren't really that many options.

I’ve also considered getting a 461/261 combo, or just saying screw it and get a 362 with a 25”.

I don’t have enough experience hands on to know exactly what I need.

The right tool for the job is always more safe. A 50/70cc pro saw combo is a great choice to cover it all. If you've ran some saws already you'll be fine. A bigger powerhead laying on a log is more manageable that a smaller, lighter one.

The right tool for the job is always more safe. A 50/70cc pro saw combo is a great choice to cover it all. If you've ran some saws already you'll be fine. A bigger powerhead laying on a log is more manageable that a smaller, lighter one.

I know this is my ignorance speaking but how is that? In my mind the more power you have will lead to greater risk for a newbie.

Any chainsaw is dangerous. With more than adequate power and sharp chain you'll have less chance of the chain stopping, getting pinched, or kicking back if you hit something unseen on the back side of a cut. The tool will do the job easier and you'll have to manipulate the work(wood) less if you have the right sized saw. It's human nature that you'll also be more aware and respectful of a bigger saw, at least at first.

Latest posts

Back