New guy needs first big one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get that ported one in the post and it'll pull a 32" buried in oak that fast:cool:

As good of a deal as it may be I think I’m going to pass. The saw I just ran was bone stock and had plenty of power to cover what I’ll need. In the future if I feel I need the increase in power I’ll pay to have the work done. I will however take your advice and get a 461. You were right, the extra weight wasn’t even noticeable. I worked harder running the 028 than the 461. I’ll be stopping by my local pro shop this weekend. Thank you very much for talking me off the ledge the other day.

Now here’s my next big question. My friend advised to get the 461 with a 25” and down the line get a 32” bar. The saw I’m looking at is already setup with a light weight 32”. The price difference from the shop is like $30 from 25-32. To me it sounds cheaper to purchase the saw with a 32” and spend $150 for 25” b&c later. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

Now here’s my next big question. My friend advised to get the 461 with a 25” and down the line get a 32” bar. The saw I’m looking at is already setup with a light weight 32”. The price difference from the shop is like $30 from 25-32. To me it sounds cheaper to purchase the saw with a 32” and spend $150 for 25” b&c later. Am I looking at this incorrectly?

No you’re right except that 32” bar will be a lot of work for the stock 461. And the oiler might struggle to keep the chain lubricated for all the time cutting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 461 loves the 25” bar!
cf563ad69267de1c46a38a1f75bcff50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be purchasing the 25” b&c almost immediately. I don’t want to swing a 32” all the time. Just trying to find out the best way to save a couple dollars.

It was magical lol

Im glad you have seen the light.

Just got home from doing some cutting with a buddy..

A local out his way had a HUGE pile of large maple that nobody could deal with. I had 2 saws in my truck and my gear so we decided to go over to his neighbors.

We went there today with a 372xp, 381xp, stihl 044 and a 562xp.

We blocked, split (with the saws) and filled my truck in about 15 mins.

Its incredible how much work you can do with a real saw!!!

I screwed up today, I fondled a 462cm with 25” b&c. The way that saw felt vs the 461 was very interesting. The 1.5lbs less had me thinking it’d make for a very nice back saver. So I said screw it, I’m going m-tronic. If it doesn’t workout I’ll run down a used 461. It’s a leap of faith but the balance was VERY nice. Plus knowing all the power of a 461 was packed into that thing, I couldn’t resist.

I spoke with a few techs at the pro shop. They said all the solenoid issues had been remedied. Also, any glitches would be backed by Stihl. I just hope I made the right decision. Time will tell if I should have stuck to my roots.

P.S. I know I was hell bent on staying strictly non electronic when I first started. A very close friend of mine who’s an arborist and the conversations with the techs basically sealed the deal. It also helps I had good support on AS.

I was all "m-tronic and autotune saws are crap" .

Then I ran one for a bit and i was so wrong. I run a 562xp a lot now which is a modern wizzbang auto tune saw.

Im going to convert my standard carbed 576xp to autotune probably tomorrow as i got my oarts today..

I really like autotune saws even though I have no problem tuning by ear..

Theu just run so well.

What can I say, I’m VERY glad I went the direction I did. I shouldn’t ever have to worry if my saw can handle a job.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice along the way. It definitely helped me pinpoint the saw I wanted. And a thanks goes out to my girlfriend. I had a 462 on hold. She knows how I am and she put that money towards my 461. Then she proceeded to buy out the rest of the saw for me. After feeling this saw run I don’t think I would’ve like the balance of the 462 with a larger than 25” bar.

I screwed up today, I fondled a 462cm with 25” b&c. The way that saw felt vs the 461 was very interesting. The 1.5lbs less had me thinking it’d make for a very nice back saver. So I said screw it, I’m going m-tronic. If it doesn’t workout I’ll run down a used 461. It’s a leap of faith but the balance was VERY nice. Plus knowing all the power of a 461 was packed into that thing, I couldn’t resist.

I spoke with a few techs at the pro shop. They said all the solenoid issues had been remedied. Also, any glitches would be backed by Stihl. I just hope I made the right decision. Time will tell if I should have stuck to my roots.

P.S. I know I was hell bent on staying strictly non electronic when I first started. A very close friend of mine who’s an arborist and the conversations with the techs basically sealed the deal. It also helps I had good support on AS.

I TOLD YOU NOT TO MESS WITH THE 462!!! Hahaha! Welcome to the wonderful world of M-Tronic saws...

Just saw the other post. So you did go with the 461?

Hello all new guy here.

I’m in need of some advice. I currently have a stihl 009L and a 028 wood boss. I’ve recently begun tending to a large plot of land and need bigger toys. I was considering a 291 with an 18” and a 391 with a 25”. The 291 will be replacing the 028. It’s the 391 I’m wondering about. Most of the big stuff I’ll be cutting is under 48”, but there will be the occasional 60”.

There’s a friend of mine who runs a 461 and loves it. I’ve found a place locally who still has 3 of them new. Just not sure if paying double is worth it and if it’s too much for a first big saw. By the way I’m 6’ 1” and 315lbs. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Personally I think the best all around saw ever made is a husqvarna 372xp.

Its a good mid size for me.
I am sure it is a powerhouse huge saw to some though I ran its ancestor the 272 in my early teens.

I ran stihl for years. Right up until I was introduced to the 395 xp and I immediately ran it over with a 1900 series international. To my suprise it did not break anything! So I ran it over with a skid steer... Still didnt break!

Having crushed a 044 stihl and jerked the rear handle off an 046 magnum, I was very intrigued by this heavy ass saw that would not break. So I ran it a decade and realized it wasn't so heavy anymore.

I TOLD YOU NOT TO MESS WITH THE 462!!! Hahaha! Welcome to the wonderful world of M-Tronic saws...

Just saw the other post. So you did go with the 461?

My thinking is this, the m-tronic system will be out for years to come. I purchased the very last 461 at my dealer. I will be getting a 261 18” in the near future to complement my 461. Hell, I might become addicted to this stuff and get the whole collection.

Just out of curiosity, not that I would ever consider it, does Husqvarna make a top handle saw. I really liked my 009L I gave to my future father in law. However, he’d been eyeballing it from day one as a parts saw. I’d like to replace it with a 193T. It’d only be used for limbing and clearing for deer stands.

Latest posts

Back