New guy needs first big one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so other than stihl and Husqvarna, what are the brands I should stay away from? Or better yet, who’s the brands to look for?

I really like the MS 193T, although I haven't used other top-handle saws, so I can't comment on comparisons. It's very light, easy to use one-handed, and has the power to shrug through some light bucking. Good for a walk through the woods or pruning.

I really like the MS 193T, although I haven't used other top-handle saws, so I can't comment on comparisons. It's very light, easy to use one-handed, and has the power to shrug through some light bucking. Good for a walk through the woods or pruning.

Good to hear, that’s what I liked about my 9L.

Congrats hambone! I just picked up one of last 461 at my local dealer too. I will admit after handling the 462 I almost changed my mind too, it sure is a lot lighter. I got mine with 25" bar but was advised by dealer that the 461 would have the edge over a 462 if I ever had the need for a longer bar.

I'm not knocking the 462 at all, it's a magnificent saw. However, I tend to play with my toys and feel a few years from now I'm sure the 461 will be ported and I'll have an easier time dialing a carb in.

20190724_175742.jpg 20190724_175247.jpg

Congrats hambone! I just picked up one of last 461 at my local dealer too. I will admit after handling the 462 I almost changed my mind too, it sure is a lot lighter. I got mine with 25" bar but was advised by dealer that the 461 would have the edge over a 462 if I ever had the need for a longer bar.

I'm not knocking the 462 at all, it's a magnificent saw. However, I tend to play with my toys and feel a few years from now I'm sure the 461 will be ported and I'll have an easier time dialing a carb in.

View attachment 749330 View attachment 749331

Thank you, who knows, we both might have a 462 in the near future just for the hell of it.

Had an amusing phone conversation with a local dealer today. I don't think they get a lot of well-educated buyers calling in:

Me: "Hello, I'm in the market for an MS 461 with a 28" bar"

Guy: "Uh... wow that's specific, alright, I'll check the shelf"

Guy: "Okay, we do have one, [incredulously] it's like, thirteen hundred bucks though?"

Me: "Yes I know"

Probably going to stop in tomorrow and see if they can make me a deal with some cases/chains/paraphernalia I need. Going up to Lake Tamiskaming in August and I'd like to test the 461 out on some big red pines.

Maybe, who knows. Of course if you look at my signature you'll see I'm into the vintage stuff. To be honest, my newer saws the Makita 6401 and my modded 359 don't even get run much. I do the majority of my cutting with my Jonsered 70e and my Mac 10-10a. I'm just cutting a bunch of cordwood and with a good sharp chain they both do the job quite well.

But, I had a hankering for a brand new saw and wanted to jump on the "grab the last of carbed saw X before they are gone" and bought the 461. Same thing happened when AT 372 came out. Now the old school 372 is quite desirable.....justified or not.

That sucks Levi, some dealers have no clue. When I called my local guy and asked about 461 he knew exactly why I was after it. He's old school like me, and again justified or not said in some instances he prefers a carbed saw too.

Latest posts

Back