New guy with some old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicQuality

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello I’m new to the forum just thought I’d introduce myself, my name is Clayton I collect old tools etc. I’ve just recently obtained 4 older saws and I don’t know much about them, they’re relatively complete from what I can see. They’re solid metal, unlike the newer stuff. One is a mcculloch super Mac 10-10 another is a Mac 10-10 then there’s a homelite xl and finally this IEL Pioneer that’s huge and clearly very old. The pioneer has a glass fuel bowl on it and I have no idea how to identify much else. I figured if anyone could help me out with these they would be here, any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ll add some pics if I can ever figure that out. Thanks in advance

Hello I’m new to the forum just thought I’d introduce myself, my name is Clayton I collect old tools etc. I’ve just recently obtained 4 older saws and I don’t know much about them, they’re relatively complete from what I can see. They’re solid metal, unlike the newer stuff. One is a mcculloch super Mac 10-10 another is a Mac 10-10 then there’s a homelite xl and finally this IEL Pioneer that’s huge and clearly very old. The pioneer has a glass fuel bowl on it and I have no idea how to identify much else. I figured if anyone could help me out with these they would be here, any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ll add some pics if I can ever figure that out. Thanks in advance
Just select upload file and add pics. At your post. Welcome

Pioneer IEL HM
http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...6fe7e8e39b77abc488256af9001a4c11?OpenDocument

McCulloch 10-10
http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...be486f1cb246b9fe88256b62001d1279?OpenDocument

McCulloch Super 10-10
http://acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e...e06db7f33d6c8f7f88256b6200123904?OpenDocument

Homelite XL ???
Looks like an XL-400
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...ae2091bd1bb7e00d88256c280064f4ba?OpenDocument

What help are you looking for on the saws?

Just some general info really, I’ve pretty much figured out the pioneer but that homelite is another animal (XL-400) gettin weak to no spark thanks for the links these should be fairly helpful

Just some general info really, I’ve pretty much figured out the pioneer but that homelite is another animal (XL-400) gettin weak to no spark thanks for the links these should be fairly helpful
Check your inbox for a Homelite service manual 4th edition and an ipl.

FD8E0042-F945-45EB-BCE3-9DD204FA6D66.jpeg
Thx little al I might have to check into that. Ohh got the exhaust off of the pioneer to look at the rings, I’m still pretty surprised the overall condition of this old beast. Got the pioneer and both the mccullochs at an online auction for $25 thinking none of them would run but whoever had this pioneer before babied it.

In their day Pioneer were good saws along with other brands, there were better variation of brands sadly some in fact most wandered off into the sunset to reappear in some cases as plastic crap no matter what the modern saw jockey says a 80s/90 s Mag cased saw with AV & c hainbrake will hold it"s own more or less (at lower revs ) with similar sized modern "whizzers" if you are not bothered about the last half second in cutting time & in most cases the chain oiling will be far superior As an aside I have an Alpina Prof 55 55cc's, all mag, AV ,Chainbrake,Lectronic ignition, bar only oils when chain is revovolving,Weighs a bit more than equiv modern kit but at community cutting for folk that can't do it it keeps up or betters some still produced saws the last cut we had a new to us died in wool Stihl guy asked if he could use it for a time as he had been cutting next to me & must of been keeping his eye on it I could not get it back ,he ran a good few tanks through it during the day & has since rung & spoke to me a least half dozen times if for sale & price he admits to never having heard of the brand but is well impressed with it's performance so before the cuttings he ring s ton ask if Im going & if yes he says You will be bringing the "Alpina" bit of a bugger I have to take another saw to run myself But it"s all worthwhile & good fun .

Latest posts

Back