New Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cook83

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all.

Just joined the forum. Thanks.

I am in love with Stihl saws, not because of the brand, though they are super reliable long lasting saws though. I value them since Stihl is such a big part of my raising. I Grew up cutting wood about every Saturday in the winter with my dad for close to 30 years. Through all them years of putting up about 25 to 30 rick of wood every year, he has only had a few saws. 044, 440, 021, and now since he's in his mid 60's, he was went to a small lighter Stihl with a 20" bar.
My grandpa always ran Stihl, he never bought wood, and wood heat was his only heat until it was too much for my dad to keep up with cutting wood for himself and for my papa for close to 5 years when his health declined and eventually put in a propane heater. After he passed, I bought his old 028 Wood boss from my Grandma, so of course that saw is as special to me as the memories are growing up with Stihls with my Dad and Grandpa. And yup, It runs great and use it quite a bit.

Anyways, I'll put my rambling to an end. Long story short, I want my son to have the same opportunity to enjoy Stihl saws and let them bring joy to him like they have to me for so long, He is 9, and naturally mechanically minded and gifted.
I purchased a Farmertec MS 660 Kit so I could teach him how to build and we could both learn more about Stihl saws since the FT is the same.
From my understanding, about everything will work on a FT that will on a Stihl. I am going to upgrade the Crank, bearings, PIston, and cylinder, and a few other things. I just want to be sure that everything will fit it if I order it for a Stihl MS 066. I have read that some parts are only for xxxx serial number or older 660's, so that has caused me to doubt what all is the same or not.

I know there are mixed feelings about the Farmtecs, I don't want to get in to that. Most of the people reading this don't mind saving a little money and going to Oreillys or Autozone to get an aftermarket part instead of going to the Ford Dealership and paying 3 times the price for the exact same thing, just a clone of the real thing that made it in the first place.
Nonetheless, I want to use this saw as an opportunity to let my son fall in love with saws as I have all my life. Any advice from someone that has built these would be great. I watch the aflletcommand and the1chainsawguy on Youtube so I am learning a lot from them. Just thought I would introduce my self.

Thanks

I have built several of these kits, and modded them to run stronger. IMO, you don't need to replace the crank, that makes it very expensive.

IMO always replace (with) the piston pin bearing, piston pin clips, and I always replace the rope/handle with an Elastostart. I would also replace the rings (with Caber) or better yet just get a Meteor piston (they come with Caber rings) and are low cost and higher quality than Huztl.

Always flush all bearings with WD-40 before turning them, they often ship them with grit in them and you will ruin them if you don't flush them.

The casting for the chain adjuster often needs to be shimmed, (even if you buy OEM parts). The AM parts will usually work (or can be modified to work).

Use good oil, the AM bearings may not be quite as hard as OEM, but I use AMSOIL Saber at 40:1 and have not had any problems with them.

Often, the base gasket needs to be deleted to provide good performance (check your squish), and also check the bevels on the ports (it may be a good time to learn a little porting). Often substantial gains are obtained just by lowering the intake port, and I like to advance the timing by taking .020-.030 off the key.

You can print a timing wheel off of your computer, tape it to carboard and make your own.

There is lots of information and vidoes available on several sites regarding these builds. Review them (measure twice, cut once).

I have found these saws to be very durable, and I use them for milling.

Thanks Mustangmike

I have ordered a few OEM things

Mainly the ones that fleetwood it The1chainsaw guy recommends.

Not changing crank, good call.

I did order a few OEM things.

56 MM Big bore kit with Pop up piston z
Hway 56 Mm Piston
Caber Rings
Walbro J-67 carb, I ordered the 76 je

OEM elasto start pull rope
OEM wrist pin and bearing
OEM pull rope assembly
OEM brake band and multi switch assembly
OEM for all the fuel lines
OEM chain tensioner assembly
OEM Handel lever
OEM decocompression valve
OEM fuel cap
OEM starter

It’s worth the cost of OEM to me, for now thing else to count It as education for my boy. The bonus is I get a decent saw when I’m done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back