New help might have to go #2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is once again Monday morning and I have no help. The two new guys that I hired last week seemed to be doing great-untill today. Last night as I was sleeping at 10:23 pm a call came in that the 5'4" spanish kid with a CDL I hired would not be in today because his girlfriend slashed his tires. "John Denver" (hippy with leather hat) called this morning while I was in the shower, left no message but then rolled in 20 mins late saying he has a side job with a logger today-I said good luck, here is your pay, bye. He's still saying he wants to work but I dont know about that, I mean show some respect right?? Besides I spend more energy fending off his "sugestions" constantly than actually working-and I'm not kidding!! Its rediculous, it really is, one out of every hundred boneheaded suggestions I actually use, but the energy it takes to fend him off!! What would you guys do with "John Denver" and the little guy??

It all depends on whether you are trying to run a business, a babysitting service, or film a "reality show".....

It is once again Monday morning and I have no help. The two new guys that I hired last week seemed to be doing great-untill today. Last night as I was sleeping at 10:23 pm a call came in that the 5'4" spanish kid with a CDL I hired would not be in today because his girlfriend slashed his tires. "John Denver" (hippy with leather hat) called this morning while I was in the shower, left no message but then rolled in 20 mins late saying he has a side job with a logger today-I said good luck, here is your pay, bye. He's still saying he wants to work but I dont know about that, I mean show some respect right?? Besides I spend more energy fending off his "sugestions" constantly than actually working-and I'm not kidding!! Its rediculous, it really is, one out of every hundred boneheaded suggestions I actually use, but the energy it takes to fend him off!! What would you guys do with "John Denver" and the little guy??

replace them with immigrants.
i went through that bull#### for 2 years before i gave in to immigrant labor.

I would confront them and explain my stand and that if they need the work
to get on board my vessel or jump into the skiff and abandon it.

replace them with immigrants.
i went through that bull#### for 2 years before i gave in to immigrant labor.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Treeinnovator again. I'd neg you again if I could.

You should be ashamed of yourself, but instead you're all to proud to brag that you hire illegals, and encourage others to do the same. You deserve to go out of business because all your help got deported, and no self respecting american will work for a schmuck like you.

How the hell does the trollminator have ANY green dots? He should be deep in the red for all the crap he's posted on this site.

TreeMDS:

This business is far more difficult to find good crew for than many others, but it can still be done. I don't know jack about your training and leadership skills, but even highly skilled people in those areas can still improve. Focus your energy on making yourself an even better leader/employer, so when the right people come along, you're good enough for them to want to stay with you.

Have you considered using labor from a temp service? That way you can meet them, see them work, and decide for yourself if you want that guy back on future jobsites. If they perform well as a temp for a few weeks or a month, they may be worth bringing on full time.

Too bad I couldnt just hire that character in your avatar to just come to my jobsite and start blasting away rope, lol, now that would be sweet!!

I would be willing to bet if ya looked in the country for men
you could find good help. I have good help and not enough work
to hire them. I have to do it all myself to cover expense in this
economy. Rural areas are where most good help comes from imo.

Or I could try that ddh, thanks, I'll look into it, I dont know if we have that type of service around here. What I do now is hope to keep a crew together during the week and work with my subs on the weekend, that way when the weekday help fags off I'm allready ahead-and I still cant keep up! Man the phone just rang three times, two new estimates to do and a customer wondering when we can get there. I hate these bastards I really do, its like they just cant handle it, seeing you make money that is. Maybe its like a jealousy thing or something who knows! I wonder if they have any idea what it took me to get where I am? Now I got some bigger equipment but for like a decade it was just me and the little truck and chipper doing trees that probably should've had a crane. Thats the problem with Denver, he's got a pickup and gear so he wants to go on his own and has got a little taste of some more money, but doesnt realize that he doesnt have it, at least not yet-slow as molasis. Rope I am in the country but yeah the puertirican is from a nearby city. I gotta advertize in a paper that gets out that way though, more country, good idea thanks- I still like the dirty harry solution however, lol.

Last edited:

What a duty roster... you paid Denver? Yo, watch out that other little guy don't get YOUR tires slashed. THAT would take a full box of tissues.

did you give jonny d his walking stick back? the one with the glowing ball at the end of it? "sorceror's staff" i think he called it.

What a duty roster... you paid Denver? Yo, watch out that other little guy don't get YOUR tires slashed. THAT would take a full box of tissues.
Yes dan I payed John Denver, and then he left and came back two hours latter because he forgot his climbing gear which is the only reason he came in in the first place (too much rocky mountain high??), must have gotten to his big sub gig and realized he had forgotten "Mary" his climbing saw (echo) and his saddle. I'm not too worried about the tires really I still owe the kid alot of money so he should be around youy would think. As for the tisssues, lol-I got more points than you naah naah!! And so very many posts you have too, lol.

Last edited:
did you give jonny d his walking stick back? the one with the glowing ball at the end of it? "sorceror's staff" i think he called it.
Lol oldirty, lol. What a fag! Can you immagine the nerve of that cat? I mean really " well like I said I was going to start my own buisiness anyway, thats why I left slave-a-tree" -dude's got one side job and some work at moms house from a storm-plus he aint ready to go on his own yet, but whatever that never stopped too many of em before I suppose.
What was it "Gandor's staff"? lol.

for those of you not in the "know"....he makes walking sticks.

i thought it was for harry potter or something. no wait, they use wands.

I finally fond a good crew. One older guy (41) who is a great worker, drives my trucks well and is always 20 min early. A young kid from down the street who is 18 and runs a chainsaw with the best. And a new guy who is showing promise climbing. He went to a climbing school for 7 months and now has his first job. So keep looking, people are out there, and stay away from the illegals..... Mike

Are good people really that hard to find? :cry:

Are us few who can do most of it, and what we cant we learn quickly REALLY that rare? :dizzy:

Back