New help might have to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not a bad resume'. What do you mean you heard all the prices?

Means I usually was told what the jobs were bid at-or found out inadvertently, thats another reason it pisses me off when people underbid, after watching the prices grow over the years and then seeing people just throw all that away cuz they walked into some money somewhere and are now instant treeguys that dont even know how to bid a job.

Oh yeah, another update, the one kid was supposed to show up this morning at 7:30 and help me with this big a$$ hemlock hedge I gotta prune with the bucket, 7:50 I call him and he's still in bed-"I forgot to set the alarm, my bad" was the excuse. Well maybe I dont like hedges but I'm not starting on some punk kids schedule either, little f#@#@$! Plus if I could'nt get it done I'd have to go back again, it would have been 9:30 or better by the time we got there, F that. I told him "I guess I'll have to start calling back those messages on the cell from my help wanted add, I'm getting so sick of this s#!%. I just set up an appiontment with a CDL guy, 40 yrs ole was ground guy for Davey/Asplund, history of drugs and drinking-been clean 3 yrs, has some group on thursdays is the only drawback, we'll see. One thing is I like the kid I got now but if he keeps screwing me its not worth it, I mean now I'm running on his schedule, thats B.S.

Oh yeah, another update, the one kid was supposed to show up this morning at 7:30 and help me with this big a$$ hemlock hedge I gotta prune with the bucket, 7:50 I call him and he's still in bed-"I forgot to set the alarm, my bad" was the excuse. Well maybe I dont like hedges but I'm not starting on some punk kids schedule either, little f#@#@$! Plus if I could'nt get it done I'd have to go back again, it would have been 9:30 or better by the time we got there, F that. I told him "I guess I'll have to start calling back those messages on the cell from my help wanted add, I'm getting so sick of this s#!%. I just set up an appiontment with a CDL guy, 40 yrs ole was ground guy for Davey/Asplund, history of drugs and drinking-been clean 3 yrs, has some group on thursdays is the only drawback, we'll see. One thing is I like the kid I got now but if he keeps screwing me its not worth it, I mean now I'm running on his schedule, thats B.S.

I used to get up at 5:30 evreryday and drive my bicycle 13 miles uphill through the neighborhood we worked in to pick up the truck, drive it back and work the 8, take the truck back and ride my bike back the 13 miles. Summer, winter, whatever. Believe it or not the ride back home was uphill to. I am bragging but I am not sure that is something to brag about, I couldn't afford a car.
I guess I had my days where I didn't show up sometimes but it wasn't cause my clock didn't go off.
I don't ride bicycles anymore.
Yeah, when I retire I WILL be a FREELANCE GROUNDY! We will see how much its worth then.

To be honest; that hemlock hedge sounds like something I would just do myself, specially if I had a bucket. But I don't know, I haven't seen it but don't put it past me.

. I just set up an appiontment with a CDL guy, 40 yrs ole was ground guy for Davey/Asplund, history of drugs and drinking-been clean 3 yrs, has some group on thursdays is the only drawback, we'll see. .

if he's serious about his recovery these guys can be one of the best hires youve made. if he's serious.

usually they are so greatful for another shot at the title they end up doing the best they can all day everyday.

you just have got to find out how serious he takes his sobriety.

if he's serious about his recovery these guys can be one of the best hires youve made. if he's serious.

usually they are so greatful for another shot at the title they end up doing the best they can all day everyday.

you just have got to find out how serious he takes his sobriety.

Yeah, the only problem is he looked, well...kind of slimy, with the slicked back hair, all pale wit the white sneaks, not a speck on them-it did'nt give me the "I'm standing next to the next real treeguy" feeling. I mean I need the CDL and all that but that would be the only reason I would consider hiring the guy based on first impressions, but I might be wrong, ya never know.

Last edited:
Update on those losers of mine

So I'm losing my ass on this big job, its been really dragging and I could'nt finish friday after doing 4 loads of wood and a load of chips I finnally had to give up and go home. It was supposed to rain sat but I told the one to call me at 6:15 and we would see what the weather does, maybe we can finish before it rains, I can get paid and we can move on-no call, no call all weekend. It did'nt rain until 1:30. Finally finished yesterday with a friend of mine/got everything back to the shop. I was actually thinking of blowing them off myself today, you know a taste of thier own medicine. No call no show. Now I think I'm allmost forced into getting rid of my whole crew, but I'm buying a chipper so really I dont know if I can. Oh last week they had memorial day on monday so saturday shouldnt have been a stretch.

So I'm losing my ass on this big job, its been really dragging and I could'nt finish friday after doing 4 loads of wood and a load of chips I finnally had to give up and go home. It was supposed to rain sat but I told the one to call me at 6:15 and we would see what the weather does, maybe we can finish before it rains, I can get paid and we can move on-no call, no call all weekend. It did'nt rain until 1:30. Finally finished yesterday with a friend of mine/got everything back to the shop. I was actually thinking of blowing them off myself today, you know a taste of thier own medicine. No call no show. Now I think I'm allmost forced into getting rid of my whole crew, but I'm buying a chipper so really I dont know if I can. Oh last week they had memorial day on monday so saturday shouldnt have been a stretch.

I have to interject- 20 years and 20 companies. No I am not bragging but for that 20 years not only did I work but I watched. I watched evrey
little minute detail about everything that goes into getting out and getting to work AND getting it done. I watched , not like a seagull, like a hawk. I know what your problem is AND I can tell you how to fix it. But now you have to ask.
People want to acusse me of always assuming, being a pansy seagull or just blabbering. To be honest 20 years of this just might make you babble. Look at yourself Mds.
Let me tell you what YOU are assuming and why I think you are. There is a good chance you will just say no and try to tough it out because that's what you are ,tough. But not tough enough to do what you want to accomplish by yourself. Now take a look at Nails.
Maybe I got it all wrong again, maybe I spent the morning watching cartoons with my 2 year old, maybe I know, maybe I know you, too.
I couldn't help making some of the comments I made and to tell the truth " treemanpam" is dam funny. But really what I see is a guy who is to tough in the head to see around his problem. And its a problem right? Its not a simple thing to fix but since you are so tough and determined it should be OK.
Would you like to hear what I think needs to be done? I doesn't entail kicking anyones ass but you are going to have to be tough.
By the way, the only people who hated me in those 20 years was the pansies and the insecure. Now, would you like to hear some constructive critism about your issue or do you just want to be placated by remarks about busting skulls unitl your guys show up again?

Last edited:
P.S. The answer to your problem is a long and drawn out scheme with so many varibles that it sounds like babble from time to time. It just might wear you down to the point where you say F it. Still, I don't think you will have to scream at anyone.
Now I am going to finish chopping down this little walnut that I got scared in last week.

Last edited:
I have to interject- 20 years and 20 companies. No I am not bragging but for that 20 years not only did I work but I watched. I watched evrey
little minute detail about everything that goes into getting out and getting to work AND getting it done. I watched , not like a seagull, like a hawk. I know what your problem is AND I can tell you how to fix it. But now you have to ask.
People want to acusse me of always assuming, being a pansy seagull or just blabbering. To be honest 20 years of this just might make you babble. Look at yourself Mds.
Let me tell you what YOU are assuming and why I think you are. There is a good chance you will just say no and try to tough it out because that's what you are ,tough. But not tough enough to do what you want to accomplish by yourself. Now take a look at Nails.
Maybe I got it all wrong again, maybe I spent the morning watching cartoons with my 2 year old, maybe I know, maybe I know you, too.
I couldn't help making some of the comments I made and to tell the truth " treemanpam" is dam funny. But really what I see is a guy who is to tough in the head to see around his problem. And its a problem right? Its not a simple thing to fix but since you are so tough and determined it should be OK.
Would you like to hear what I think needs to be done? I doesn't entail kicking anyones ass but you are going to have to be tough.
By the way, the only people who hated me in those 20 years was the pansies and the insecure. Now, would you like to hear some constructive critism about your issue or do you just want to be placated by remarks about busting skulls unitl your guys show up again?
No thanks treemanpam, I'm all set. To be honest yer posts are too long and boring for me, sorry but its treework- tough crowd.

hey mds

i have a little help for your employee problem...

keep a list of at least five part timers that you can call at daylight.
most treeworkers are the same as you are getting. by keeping a list of ones that only want to work for you now and then, when your crew doesnt show you just leave without them. ive found about one in five will answer, so up your numbers if you need to.

also, try to find one really good guy to keep with you at all times.

hey mds

i have a little help for your employee problem...

keep a list of at least five part timers that you can call at daylight.
most treeworkers are the same as you are getting. by keeping a list of ones that only want to work for you now and then, when your crew doesnt show you just leave without them. ive found about one in five will answer, so up your numbers if you need to.

also, try to find one really good guy to keep with you at all times.
Thats not bad man, I allaready got monday and the weekends covered-and I got a grunt on call but he dont drive, drags up a storm though. But yeah, I like it, thanks.

Thats not bad man, I allaready got monday and the weekends covered-and I got a grunt on call but he dont drive, drags up a storm though. But yeah, I like it, thanks.

See what I am talking about? 20 years and ya got no list. Shameful. What did Nails say? " Yo, the games over here!"
But that idea will work great until one of your dogs robs the clients house.

Just to rub it in deeper and deeper and deeper: I'll hit my Rolodex RIGHT NOW and have as many climbers, groundies, landscrapers, builders, equipment operators, certified arborist, exconvicts or drug dealers as I want in my lot by the time I get my pansy ass off the couch tommorow at 9 am. Truth is, I don't need em.
I will post the pictures of my little walnut TD as soon as I figure out how. Its a shame I didn't take any on that 3500.00 poplar, but both were solo ventures.
I can't BELIEVE you had your girlfriend out and treated her like that. That was poor.

Perhaps you're setting yourself up to be "screwed over" again. Maybe a two-fer-one screw over. I sense that these guys don't respect you. I've often heard it said that "you get what you pay for." Sometimes we get what we settle for. I don't think it's an issue of money here. It's a issue of character: you've settled for a couple characters. Start fresh with a couple new employees. You came to this site to improve your company and your skills, correct me if I'm wrong. Tree MDS, you deserve a better caliber of employee.
Bang treetom, nail on the head. They both completely dissapeared just as I'm buying a new chipper and covered with ins. jobs. I've even been real nice to these losers so thats not it, what the $#@# is wrong with these two? its wednesday and no call/show sinse monday. I knew this was gonna happen but they know whats going on here and I swear they're doing this on purpose, its amazing, like a competitor is paying them!! Ad was in the paper tuesday so we'll see what it drudges up. Maybe I'll pay someone to beat the piss right out of em!! :)

Bang treetom, nail on the head. They both completely dissapeared just as I'm buying a new chipper and covered with ins. jobs. I've even been real nice to these losers so thats not it, what the $#@# is wrong with these two? its wednesday and no call/show sinse monday. I knew this was gonna happen but they know whats going on here and I swear they're doing this on purpose, its amazing, like a competitor is paying them!! Ad was in the paper tuesday so we'll see what it drudges up. Maybe I'll pay someone to beat the piss right out of em!! :)

Before I say anything else: Everything I had said to you in the past was prompted by a spike of recognition in my conscience to your situations. I feel for ya guy. I guess that's why I hound you. I know about the circle, it can suck.
But like I said, with your experience you should be better at warding these situations off or at least not be so surprised. Maybe you had a 20 year run of great times, if that is the case then sit back and relax, you have been very lucky.
Just so you know, I DO have a serious problem ' relinquishing control '. I just can't rely on many people. Scares me almost as much as being buried alive.
I think one of the problems with your business lies within you. Relinquish control? That's what you said to me but I have. Not to many people but to the FORCE. The TREE WORK FORCE LUKE. Sometimes are better than others, you will get through although...

Last edited:
tree mds

"use the force mds. "

"mds, youve disconnected your lifeline. whats going on"

"i dont need it, i have the force"

"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" SPLAT

Force My A$$ lol

Its allright though, I've got three days sub work with the bucket where I dont need a groundman and can stil make maybe a little more than with them two losers, so life goes on, then I've got real help on the weekends so F em, I'll find someone soon hopefully. All that calls is mexicans and fat old line hackers, just need a good ground dog, thats all.

Latest posts

Back