New here with MS311 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cramer4918

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Matt. I live in Florida and I'm with South Walton Fire, which is close to where Hurricane Michael just came through. We have a lot downed trees throughout the neighboring counties and a lot of them are 75+ year old pines. We send crews over daily to help with the clean up from the devastation the hurricane left. My question is in regards to the the Stihl MS311 I just purchased to help with the clearing. It's probabaly more than what I need, but chainsaws are a hot commodity now and it's "take what you can get." Anyhow, the felling spike on the saw looks wee and pretty sad. I know that a lot of the pine trees have thick bark that peels off fairly easy. I have tried searching for "MS311 spikes", "MS311 Felling", and MS311 dogs" and what I have found is the kit #1135 650 7750 will work. They are not obnoxiously large, but do provide a bit more bite from what I can see. My question is do I need to change over to the metal MS362 clutch cover or will the plastic MS311 one suffice? Thanks in advance!

Interested in the clutch cover answer. I'd like to know if they fit. I'd like to make mine dual dogged .

I put the OEM dog from my 461 on my 311 when I put the large dual dogs on the 461. I was never able to find anything to fit that I was willing to spend the cash, thought I'd try then461 spikes and it worked. The big one fits too. If like to put a mag clutch cover on it if itl work.

Now if I could just find a wrap handle

Thank you for the confirmation. Do I actually need to get the mag cover or will the plastic one suffice?

personally on that saw I would just run a single spike on the inside. Just adding more weight with the double. Ebay has a wide variety of them. Let you buddies know there are tons of guys on here with quality saws they would be willing to sell.

I don’t think it sits flat but off the top of my head I don’t remember it being weird or an issue

Thanks for pic! I'll see what I can come up with for mine. Now on the search for mods. My 311 is bogging down on some of the pines I'm encountering.

A muffler mod will help out also need to readjust the carb as well.

It helps to keep your chain touched up often when cutting wet pine. It sucks up water quick when on the ground.

I noticed that when I was cleaning up blow downs from Irma last year. Guessing it's the stringy fibers that don't want to cut clean.

A sharp chain and you'll use the dawgs far less. For many, the dawgs allow force to be applied, which is hard on the chain and saw, whereas a sharp chain does it all. Just pay attention to the chips. When they get smaller and smaller, stop, relax, give the saw a break, and sharpen the chain. It is not a race, it is a marathon.

Excellent advice guys! I have been working on pines quite a bit and trying to keep my blade sharp. Once the chips start getting smaller and I start to see dust, I break and sharpen my chain. That sap is horrendous for sure!

A muffler mod will help out also need to readjust the carb as well.

I've been tossing that idea around. Searches do not come up with much info in regards to the 311 though. I'd like to see what results people achieved after doing the mod. I may buy a spare muffler and mod it just in case I go too far with it and can throw my stock one back on.

Thank you for the offer @Yotaismygame, but I'm going to cut the gills in the side of the muffler for now. If I get more extreme with it, I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back