• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy New in box Stihl MS200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have been sold lemons coz ive had a couple 200ts over the years and they were both pains in the ass dunno how many new carbys and kits when in them the ends break off the mufflers or they crack and burn a hole near the oil pump side covers break down the middle and the stop swith wires at the front of the saw break and wont turn off , to be fair the 338s and 435s are way worse , im actually shocked how good mine and my bosses t540s have been

I must have been sold lemons coz ive had a couple 200ts over the years and they were both pains in the ass dunno how many new carbys and kits when in them the ends break off the mufflers or they crack and burn a hole near the oil pump side covers break down the middle and the stop swith wires at the front of the saw break and wont turn off , to be fair the 338s and 435s are way worse , im actually shocked how good mine and my bosses t540s have been
I remember all that, the carb's fail because the accelerator pumps wear and suck air causing a vac leak.
Not sure what the deal was with the mufflers they must have fixed that,keep the mounting bolts tight and use red lock tite.
As far as the plastic melting on the cover by the muffler that is what happens when you cut stumps with it and the heat from exhaust is reflected at the cover from being too close to the ground.

Our 200T has been in to the Stihl shop for all these problems and more. We never use the 200T for stumps, why would you? Ours in on it's 3rd cover due to melting plastic. Just got it back yesterday morning as the Kill switch wire had lost contact so we were choking it to stop. Minor annoyance really but we asked them to look at the ongoing Chinese carb issue again as we were dropping it off anyway. Apparently they didn't have time. We won't be rolling over and accepting a saw that runs like a pile of rubbish for the amount it cost to originally buy and then service and repair. It actually ran ok for the big redwood we were working on yesterday. Didn't get a heap of work but it was ok when we needed it. My old 338XPT has been a model of reliability in comparison and i was using it a lot more back then compared to now since i have the T540.

In comparison my T540 has been great. Nothing bad to report 7 months in now. I was not shocked or surprised at this. Even my boss is mentioning that he will be keen for a T540 when the 200T finally dies and is not worth the money or trouble to fix.

Our 200T has been in to the Stihl shop for all these problems and more. We never use the 200T for stumps, why would you? Ours in on it's 3rd cover due to melting plastic. Just got it back yesterday morning as the Kill switch wire had lost contact so we were choking it to stop. Minor annoyance really but we asked them to look at the ongoing Chinese carb issue again as we were dropping it off anyway. Apparently they didn't have time. We won't be rolling over and accepting a saw that runs like a pile of rubbish for the amount it cost to originally buy and then service and repair. It actually ran ok for the big redwood we were working on yesterday. Didn't get a heap of work but it was ok when we needed it. My old 338XPT has been a model of reliability in comparison and i was using it a lot more back then compared to now since i have the T540.
In comparison my T540 has been great. Nothing bad to report 7 months in now. I was not shocked or surprised at this. Even my boss is mentioning that he will be keen for a T540 when the 200T finally dies and is not worth the money or trouble to fix.
Mine don't melt unless the groundies use them like I said or you are running with a cracked muffler.
My kill switch wires never come of unless you don't replace the rubber mounts when they wear and you are getting too much movement in the handle.

Mine don't melt unless the groundies use them like I said or you are running with a cracked muffler.
My kill switch wires never come of unless you don't replace the rubber mounts when they wear and you are getting too much movement in the handle.

Our 200T has been into the Stihl shop numerous times lately since its new troublesome Chinese carb was fitted. Muffler is fine as are the AV mounts. The kill switch wire had just lost contact somewhere along the wire. Easy fix but annoying after the other problems we have had. Saw was gone over in depth because it is my bosses only top handle saw right now and he wanted it running real good. If we even see a groundie with the 200T and it is on we always get paranoid. They know not to do anything with them except fuel them and hook them back onto the rope.

Our 200T has been into the Stihl shop numerous times lately since its new troublesome Chinese carb was fitted. Muffler is fine as are the AV mounts. The kill switch wire had just lost contact somewhere along the wire. Easy fix but annoying after the other problems we have had. Saw was gone over in depth because it is my bosses only top handle saw right now and he wanted it running real good. If we even see a groundie with the 200T and it is on we always get paranoid. They know not to do anything with them except fuel them and hook them back onto the rope.
Those carb problems can possible be fixed by you almost for nothing it is usually the accelerator pump gone bad and it can be deleted.

Those carb problems can possible be fixed by you almost for nothing it is usually the accelerator pump gone bad and it can be deleted.

It's a brand new carb, only been on the saw for maybe 4 months. Hasn't seen a real lot of cutting in that time, maybe 3 days a week for 4 hours a day? Problems were there since day one.

That plug gets popped out and JB weld applied to seal the hole off. This usually fixes the carbs that are acting up not always but about half the time. If you have an old carb try it. Better to practice on one that is not being used first.

Try my fix see what happens. What exactly is the saw acting like?

I think we still have the old carb on the old 200T that we keep for parts. It's not my saw to mess with but i will mention it to my boss as an option if it persists. Symptoms include hard to start when warm. Erratic idle. Poor throttle response usually requiring "goosing" to get it to rev up to WOT. Yesterday in the big redwood was the best it has ran for a long long time. Hopefully it has been cured.

Stumps with a 200? I dont have that much patience!! From memery the stop switch not working was actually pretty scary i think u had to have them full throttle toget the choke to come on to kill it , i have read about the accelerator pump block of but never tried it the last time it went to the shop they put on a new carb and ditched the old one and the new one has a fixed high speed , one thing i did figure out and im pretty embaresed to say is the air filters must get kinda saturated with microscopic dust or something eventually that u cant clean out, u ever have problems with them not holding a tune ect run it without the filter for a few minutes , i swear the compensator must pull a heap of vacuum on the diaphram and they lean out because of it , doesnt matter to much because the 201 with the (blselling) tweaks is a seriously good saw that doesnt seem to have any problems at all except maybe not as tough as a 200 / 540 plastic wise

This thread is interesting and its good to hear some of the cold hard facts about the 'perfect TH saw' of eternity. l have one and have experienced every single issue mentioned on this page. When you have a good running one in your hands they really do perform though....instant throttle response with high rpm in the cut. They sound good too. l have a 200t that looks like it fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Plastics are burned up and cracked, tank is misty, air filter box is majorly scratched up ect. As this was my first saw it has some sentimental
value and l wouod like to get it looking good again. Who do you guys go to for plastics, filters, clutch covers, sprockets ect. l imagine it could be costly at my local stihl dealer. Wolf?? l know you know a thing or two about fixing up 200t's.

This thread is interesting and its good to hear some of the cold hard facts about the 'perfect TH saw' of eternity. l have one and have experienced every single issue mentioned on this page. When you have a good running one in your hands they really do perform though....instant throttle response with high rpm in the cut. They sound good too. l have a 200t that looks like it fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Plastics are burned up and cracked, tank is misty, air filter box is majorly scratched up ect. As this was my first saw it has some sentimental
value and l wouod like to get it looking good again. Who do you guys go to for plastics, filters, clutch covers, sprockets ect. l imagine it could be costly at my local stihl dealer. Wolf?? l know you know a thing or two about fixing up 200t's.
How sentimental ? A while back one of the boys put my 200 in the hopper of the bandit and when u use the jack on it for some reason the feed wheels spin slowly saw got pulled into the rollers and chewed up a little , the stihl shop hear put a new starter assy fuel tank clutch cover whole top handle and filter cover for 600 ish dollars , looks brand new
Id probibly almost sell it to u

Those parts are expensive wherever you find them they are in demand.

Latest posts

Back