New log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeJunkie

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Im looking into buying a new log splitter this year, and i just got a peak at the new rayco, w/ log lift and 4 way splitter , 25 ton, 13hp honda,,Is anyone familiar w/ this machine and how much it costs? What kind of machines are you all using out there,,,I'm pretty small time in the firewood business, probobally 20-30 cords a year....What do think would be the optimal type of splitter for myself?

A good place to learn about log splitters is www.northerntool.com

They sell a book how to build a log splitter.

I bought there book and built mine buying parts from them many years ago.

some key things to look at and learn about is the size ( diameter ) of the hydralic ram and what size pump ( GPM ) you'll need to make use of the size ram your using.

I went with a 4" dia. x 24" ram and a 16 gallon per minute pump, and a 8Hp engine. Its very fast and works great, but the 4" dia cylinder is a little week for big knotty pieces of firewood.

If I had to make a small living doing firewood, ( money not much of a concern ) I would have a 5" dia. cylinder and a 22 or 28 gpm pump.
Should mention that the only way to go is a two-stage pump, a single stage pump will be too slow.............

The diameter of the ram is your power and the size ( gpm ) of the pump is your speed of the ram.
Also you need the correct control valve ( for log splitters ) to make all this work safely and effeciantly.
Also, I run thin lightweight hydralic oil in the system to speed up things in cold weather.

go to this link and look it over, maybe get there catalog too.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...ogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&categoryId=1465

Good luck...................

If I was in the market for a new log splitter to split ~30 cords of wood a year, I would be looking for a good sized Honda engine, the log arm thing, and a 2 and 4 way wedge with the ram to adjust the 4 piece sizes.

Thanks for that link,,,,,I like the thirty ton, 13hp honda w / a 22gpm pump,,,, It seems nice, and it's nice it has the ability to place a slip on 4 way splitter.....

Build it and you will split

I am building my own right now.

11Hp Honda, 16 GPM pump 2 stage, massive cylinder.

This thing will split bowling balls, rocks and oh yes logs too.

You can probably find a splitter locally used and beef it up or modify it to your specs.

I just saw a pic of the new Rayco log splitter also. I have been looking heavily at the Timber Wolf TW-5, but I would like more info on the Rayco also.
I have a part time firewood business, and looking for a bigger splitter. Definately need the log lift.

Re: Build it and you will split

Originally posted by ScottyStump

This thing will split bowling balls, rocks and oh yes logs too.

You can probably find a splitter locally used and beef it up or modify it to your specs.

A hot splitter! Cool! :cool:

I wanna see a V-eight!:blob2:

Grandfather in law has one with a 4cylinder wisconsin and a 6 or 8 inch(not sure) but big ram off a dozer. 30 gpm pump. The frame is two I beams welded together side by side. Hydraulic log lift from either side. It works well.

I think building your own is the way to go if you want ultra heavy duty. John

For tha average guy splitting wood to heat your home like me. When I started looking at splitters sold at the local farm supply I thought the bigger hp & tonage modles would be a must for me.
The 10 hp 33ton 4years ago was 1350.00. I wanted it real bad but I ended up buying the 5 hp 20 ton husky for 875.00 and have been very pleased with performance. No it does not have the log lift, but it does tilt up vertical. If you know where to start splitting there are very few chunks of wood that gets thrown to the side. I like mine very much.
For building a new homemade splitter there should be a formula to figure hp + ram size + pump 'gpm' = tons & ram speed.
Its only going to be as stronge as the weakest link. I would do a little research to make sure my parts match up to performance wanted or you could end up after much time and labor with performance no better than a 5hp 20 ton unit like mine.
IMO

:cool:

I have looked at the Chomper processor, and it looks like a nice simple machine. I would go for it, but I buy low grade logs from some local mills.
Right now in my log yard, I have 8"- 10" cherry, and 18" - 26" maple and oak logs. Since my log dia. varies, The Chomper really wouldn`t work for me.
The pulp wood prices are really high here in PA where I live ( a local log yard is now paying $30 per ton), so I buy the junk logs at a decent price.
I am really leaning toward the Timber Wolf TW-5 with a 6 way wedge, log lift, and debris grate.
I also like the way the hitch is on the opposite end from the wedge.

Wood Hog

I'm gonna have to disagree with most of the rest of these people.

I like a log splitter with a 9 hp and 55 ton for myself, or one powered by the hydrolics of a tractor. But then again I do about 600 cord a year.

For the amount of wood you are splitting I'd be looking at the smaller sizes in the 5-5.5 hp and 20-30 ton range. It's all you need and they have plenty of power. (Either get a good new one or a good used one).

By the way, I never heard that there was a splitter with a big 13 hp engine that only delivers 25 ton. 13 hp is usually asociated with 60+ ton.

Im building a splitter also. I bought the 22gpm 2 stage pump. maximum operating pressure of this pump is 3000 lb. My cylinder is 5in by 26 in. Engine is 14 hp. Ports on the cylinder are three quarter. All 4 ports on the control valve are also three quarter. The cylinder was built to be able to operate at 3000 psi full time. The factory built spliters that have these same componets are listed at 34 ton. That may be at 2000 psi or 2500 psi im not for sure. Does any one know if that sounds rite for the set up Im useing? I plan on runing at 3000 psi.

That link the caryr posted for the Chomper sure is cool. Only real problem that I see right off is that you are limited to 16" in log diameter, but I guess that isn`t unusual for a processor.

In reality, the biggest aides to production are the conveyor and dump truck or trailer. Sawing and splitting don`t seem to be limiting factors for me, but the multiple handling after it becomes firewood is what kills profit. I`ve also found that I can work much faster and longer with a horizontal splitter as opposed to a vertical. Tractor mounted splitters work well if you discount that you have to put all those hours on the tractor engine, which is normally way overpowered and fuel thirsty for the task at hand, but they typically are low to the ground and have a tendency to move around a bit too much for me.

Log lifters appeal to the man in us by giving us another mechanical gadget to "operate" but in reality are of dubious merit. They are normally opposite the operator side of the machine out of necessity, and consequently in the way of the person feeding the splitter the smaller rounds. I`ve also found that the mammoth rounds that a lifter will position for you are clumsy and inefficient to split. Any rounds that are too big to lift manually get split with a saw first.

Anything under 10" is quicker to split in place with a maul.

Russ

Ya, you're probably right about the log lifter Russ. It's much easier to saw any huge blocks through. Especially if you put a cross cut chain on a big saw and keep it on there only so long as you're splitting.

That's gonna be a great splitter eric. What do you figure all that will cost you? And how many hours of labor will you put in?

About 1200 hundred dollers. Had the axel all ready. Dont know how much time to put together, no hurry I have all summer. The thing is everthing will be just the way I want it . Have you used a splitter that is to low, sure is hard on the back. The wedge will be on the rod not the end of the beem. I have some steel grate which will be a small tabel on both sides. On the larger logs when they split you can push one half over and keep working the other half, no bending over to pick up the other half when you are ready for it. This is the second splitter I built. First one was like this one except the I beem twist pretty bad. It dident bend just twist. The web was 16 inches, and thats to much. The new beem is 7 inches and 5/8 on the thickness. I have seen splitters like this for about 2800 dollers and some cheaper ones for 1700 dollers. I bet the cheaper ones flex some. I will post some pictures when I get it done.

I own a split-fire splitter. It splits in both directions, has a 4-way wedge and a log lifter. Mine is a 3-pt model that uses the tractor hydraulics. I have used one with the 9 hp Honda. Very fast and strong machines. Very well built. The log lift works well as a holding table for blocks not yet split, it will hold a lot of blocks so you can split a bunch without running back and forth. Check them out at www.split-fire.com.

Back