New log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
91839.gif

Ok. Here is one of the design flaws I see with this splitter after doing more research. When the splitter is in the horizontal position, the split wood coming off the rail will be falling right on the top of the pump where the hose exits. If you look at many of the other splitter designs out there, the pump is on the opposite side of the unit. Say for example you load on a hunker of a log and it accidentally rolls off on pump side of the splitter, it may potentially land on the top of the pump assembly that is cantilevered off the motor. Over time I'm sure the split logs catching the output hose at the pump will not be good either. This is a bad design in my opinion.

Yep v8titan I agree that's a terrible design. The engine should be transverse, perpendicular to the bar, and the pump should be under the beam.

(Hey v8 where abouts in NJ are you?)

DeanBrown3D said:
Yep v8titan I agree that's a terrible design. The engine should be transverse, perpendicular to the bar, and the pump should be under the beam.

(Hey v8 where abouts in NJ are you?)

I'm up here in Watchung. That's Near Summit/Berkeley Heights area.

DeanBrown3D said:
I've got a NorthStar (Northern), and they just have the engine and pump swung around on the other side (on the left, if you were towing it), and the pump is on the forward side, not the rearward like this one.

It also seems to me that where the controls are mounted for this unit is less than optimal. They seem a bit low when its running horizontally.

v8titan said:
I'm up here in Watchung. That's Near Summit/Berkeley Heights area.
I've been there - unfortunately it not somewhere I seem to get to much. Pop by one day if you're in Princeton I'll show you the split-ez:D

Dean

TreeCo said:
Pounds of splitting force equals= (hydraulic pressure in psi) X (piston surface area in sq. in.). I have never heard of the size, shape or color of the wedge entering into the calculations but it may be how HF does their calculations.

Yeah...now that I stop and think about it....I guess you all are correct.

DeanBrown3D said:
I've been there - unfortunately it not somewhere I seem to get to much. Pop by one day if you're in Princeton I'll show you the split-ez:D

Dean

Dean,

What is a split-ez? Is that a brand of splitter? I did a search on yahoo and came up with zip.

Tom

DeanBrown3D said:
Tom - go back one page that's my bro using the green split-ez.

www.splitez.com

Now that's a nice splitter!! Commercial grade with plenty of power. I'm looking for something a little smaller that I can split a few cords per year with. Still toying with the idea of building one from scratch.

Tom

New here but I have been following this post for some time now. I am interested in building my first splitter and some of the information I have gathered from this post has helped alot. I would like to build it around a 11 hp Briggs engine that I have had as part of a generator. Its hardly been used, 3600 rpm and electric start. I am thinking I want to keep it horizontal with a lift (need help with that, ram type and size, and controls). I am not sure to go with a 4 1/5" or 5" ram, 2500 or 3000 psi (24" L). I think the engine mite be on the small side to push 22 gpm 2 stage pump. Should I just stay with the 16 gpm 2 stage? I am really lost on the control lever side of things, and what to use to power the lift ram. Well to tell you the truth all the help you can give I would appreciate. I only split about 6 to 10 cords a year but I want something that has no problems going thru hardwoods and knots and I do like tools that last. Thanks again.

Yes, I am aware of them an other sources for the purchase of the parts. What I was hoping for is some feedback, pics, suggestions or whatever from experienced members out their who have been thru this and know what works well and what doesnt. But thanks anyway

Here is a picture of my splitter:
attachment.php

I had the 8 horse Honda motor, bought the 16gpm pump from TSC. I got all the steel for free, and the golf cart tires and wheels I got free. Bought the spindles and hubs from a trailer store. The 4.5" 3000psi cylinder, 20 gallon tank, and valve came from northern. The wedge I bought from my saw shop, it is an Iron and Oak wedge.

casey, good looking splitter!

so how much do you figure it cost you to put this splitter together?

I'm thinking it's going to be hard to put a decent splitter together for less than Harborfreight is charging for a 30ton unit. ($1100) since they are using quality components, it should hold up. seems their tonage claims is somewhat inflated.

Lets see......

16GPM pump 200
Bracket to mount pump 50
4.5x24, 2" rod Cylinder 270
20 gallon Tank 100
Valve 70
Hubs and spindles 90
wedge 200( building one is MUCH cheaper)
Tubes for the tires 20
Hydraulic fittings...100
2" coupler and jack 30
Engine 50
Steel free
Hoses free

So you can see, buying one really isnt a bad idea. But if you are like me, youll get more satisfaction out of building one. If you have to buy everything to build one, youd be better off buying one from a store as the steel alone would cost you around $300, or more.

Is a car enine enouhg power?

????????????? said:
A hot splitter! Cool! :cool:

I wanna see a V-eight!:blob2:
attachment.php

:jawdrop: It's not a V-8 but I never would of guessed someone would actually use a Mercury Capri car engine as the power plant for a log splitter. FYI It's on Ebay right now.

Back