New McCulloch Timber Bear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what the spark plug gap should be? I've managed to get it to fire up but it will only run for a few seconds before dying out. The recoil is still causing me fits also. I can pull on it 50 times and all of a sudden it will stick and not retract. Come back the next day and its drawn back in and it works for awhile. Bout ready to go pick me up a new poulin. :msp_mad:

It probably needs a new fuel line & filter and possibly the carburetor needs to be cleaned and/or rebuilt

for what it's worth, my opinion would be to mess with this saw a little more before buying a new one. Check your carb screws and see where its at, make sure to count on way in til just lightly seated, and see where its at, may just need a lil tweak. Then again may need new lines which are cheap if you are handy and can do them yourself. Recoil issues I can't recall but the one I have the previous owner had issues and either added a washer or took one out. 2 strokes are fairly easy, need fuel, comp, and spark, and will run. Keep at it, but remember, this is AS and CAD run wild, gotta have more than 1 saw....

You get that Bear running right? You may want to stick with that Mac., mine will out cut and out run my Poulan 2800 any time of the day and both weight about the same.It will hang with my brother's Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss.

It's a good fire wood saw. Heavy, ugly, but torquey and dependable.
:) I run the cheap bar oil and I run all my saws 43:1 (3oz per gallon) 40:1 or 50:1 is fine also, I like using 3oz dixie cups for measuring.... quick and easy.
Dual spikes makes them look a little better.

IMG_7532.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg
what year did this chainsaw come out
It's a good fire wood saw. Heavy, ugly, but torquey and dependable.
:) I run the cheap bar oil and I run all my saws 43:1 (3oz per gallon) 40:1 or 50:1 is fine also, I like using 3oz dixie cups for measuring.... quick and easy.
Dual spikes makes them look a little better.

IMG_7532.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg

ooh ooh here we go! 🍿

But to answer your questions, most around these parts (AS) like the Tractor Supply bar oil (TSC) it is cheap and works well (they say - I have not started on my jug yet so cannot advise from experience).

For the 2-stroke, use full synthetic somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1 and you should be fine, though not sure what this older saw calls for, most folks on here will say newer synthetic oils allow older saws made to run at higher ratios 32:1 to run at 40 or 50 to 1. I'd let some of the Mac experts offer up a little advise on that one before making a call.

For a manual, look in the STICKIES thread, and there is a beg for manuals thread... post up in there what you need. Someone will come alnog and PM you a link or .pdf lickity-split.

dw
The Mac Timber Bear is 40:1
Gas Mix. Factory Mix. By RICK

Latest posts

Back