New member needs help with Echo CS-310 pouring oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I know this is an older post but my question concerns the same saw CS-310 but my problem is opposite my bar and chain is what I believe to be to dry. Picked up the saw from a neighbor of mine whos father passed. I own all Stihl saws so I am little unfamiliar with this little echo but after cleaning the carb, losing the choke lever(don't ask) I put everything back together started the saw ran it for a spell, replaced the chain went out and cut some palms and live oaks. Saw runs great nice balance and good power BUTTTTTT I soon realized the chain was dry and starting to bind. Removed the grommet blew it out, took a piece of fuel line hooked it to the end of the oil tube blew back into oil tank. left the fuel line on turned the saw upright and eventually gravity brought oil to the extension I put on. Re-installed the grommet hooked up the original tube ran the saw. Tried pointing it at a piece of plywood still couldn't see any oil but there appeared to be a little sheen on the top of the cutting teeth so I went back to cutting. I am used to seeing a lot more oil and I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestion on how to get more. I just see an endless short chain life as it is

Okay I know this is an older post but my question concerns the same saw CS-310 but my problem is opposite my bar and chain is what I believe to be to dry. Picked up the saw from a neighbor of mine whos father passed. I own all Stihl saws so I am little unfamiliar with this little echo but after cleaning the carb, losing the choke lever(don't ask) I put everything back together started the saw ran it for a spell, replaced the chain went out and cut some palms and live oaks. Saw runs great nice balance and good power BUTTTTTT I soon realized the chain was dry and starting to bind. Removed the grommet blew it out, took a piece of fuel line hooked it to the end of the oil tube blew back into oil tank. left the fuel line on turned the saw upright and eventually gravity brought oil to the extension I put on. Re-installed the grommet hooked up the original tube ran the saw. Tried pointing it at a piece of plywood still couldn't see any oil but there appeared to be a little sheen on the top of the cutting teeth so I went back to cutting. I am used to seeing a lot more oil and I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestion on how to get more. I just see an endless short chain life as it is

did you check to see if it has an adjustable oiler? most echos do and they usually oil well.... it will be on the bottom of the saw....with a lil oil icon and plus and minus sign....

To the best of my knowledge the 310 has no adjustment although I do know what you are talking about as my Stihls do have. I think its more of a homeowner saw I just want to see more oil

Hi,
Glad to find your forum and I hope that some of you may be able to help me with my little Echo CS-310 that literally pours the bar oil from the moment you fill the reservoir. I have found the problem I believe, but not sure if I replace the parts that appear to be causing the issue will solve the problem. Please look at the attached pics and notice where the oiler tube passes through the grommet on it's way to the auto oiler at the lower part of the pic. The oil leaks until it is all gone from the grommet, but I think this is really just a bad design that will fail again. Is there any other way around this such as JB Weld, silicone sealer or the such? I even thought of some type of metal tube or something to pass through from the oil reservoir to where you see the tube visible. Any ideas?
Welcome to AS. My Echo CS-310 was purchased new in January 2009. Under the 5-year warranty, my local Echo dealer replaced Grommet p/n 13211501461 and Pipe p/n 1301105260 at no cost to me. Its leaking again, so will have to replace the grommet again.

Here is the part number for the grommet.

http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/AriPartFinder?aribrand=ECH#/Echo_//_Shindaiwa/CS-310__S//N:_C23926001001_-_C23926999999/Auto-Oiler/17038/10038

These saws really improve if you put a decent chain on them, remove the cat, trim the limiters, and retune.
I think the performance of the Echo CS-310 will improve with a 12 inch bar and 45 link chain. These little saws struggle with the 14" bars that are SOP in box stores. Better to buy your chainsaws from a full-service chainsaw dealer.

I think the performance of the Echo CS-310 will improve with a 12 inch bar and 45 link chain. These little saws struggle with the 14" bars that are SOP in box stores. Better to buy your chainsaws from a full-service chainsaw dealer.

I use that saw for limbing. I have a 20" bar on it to be kind to my back.... give it a muffler mod and a tune and it does fine. I've buried the 20" in oak before for fun. It's not like cutting with a big saw, but it does fine if you let it go at the speed it wants to go at.

Had it for 6 years so far, it has never leaked oil.

If it's just the grommet shrinking over time a layer or 2 of heat shrink over the oil line could fill the gap nicely

Back