New Member, shopping for new saw. Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the replies. Most of my big pine is around 20-24 inches, with some virginia pine a bit bigger. The 290 has worked incredibly well, but has been a bit of a backup saw as my pops has helped me with the big cutting with his saw. Just looking for something sleeker and maybe with a tad more umph. I like the idea of the 261 being so light, and realistically its probably all I need. Going to mull things over some more. Thanks for all the kind words (and enabling)

Thanks for all of the replies. Most of my big pine is around 20-24 inches, with some virginia pine a bit bigger. The 290 has worked incredibly well, but has been a bit of a backup saw as my pops has helped me with the big cutting with his saw. Just looking for something sleeker and maybe with a tad more umph. I like the idea of the 261 being so light, and realistically its probably all I need. Going to mull things over some more. Thanks for all the kind words (and enabling)
My buddy just got the 261 and loves it. If you're just itching for bigger and badder, the Stihl 461 and Husky 372xp are great saws as stated by others. If price is a consideration, the Echo 590 is a great saw for $400.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Good idea.
I always reach for a 372 myself in that size hardwood.
i have many saw's that just sit.
For all i do it's the perfect choice.
Power and weight.
I like the 461 as well.
i just take one saw when i cut.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am now down to a one saw stable, which is all I need. 290 is gone, and I was really leaning towards the 261, but then a new/2nd version 362 popped up for a deal, so that is what I went with. I stumbled around making my decision on it because its a carb model, but never had carb issues in the past, so figured it would be fine and I dont know what I am missing with mtronic anyway. It is without a doubt more saw than I need, but figure it will last me a lifetime and might be able to offload easier in the event I want to drop to a 261...

Well finally got to use the 362. It was on the bench for about a week before I had a chance to use it, and I was having some regrets for not going smaller/lighter with the 261. Finally mixed up some c12 and k2 and decided to give it a go. (Should we start a gas and oil debate here??? Warning, if things get ugly, I will mix up so MRX02!) Oddly, even with a 20inch bar, the weight disappears once you start using it. It has a nice bark right off the bat, nice and deep- and is stamped as a German made saw, so I guess that is good. It worked out that its a non mtronic, and I think I am ok with that too,.... I mean for a pro homeowner (lol) a new carbed 362 for under 670 dollhairs to my door aint bad (thanks ebay). In the end, I am happy that I moved up to a 362 from my 290, instead of sideways to a 261. Thanks for the info, and look back for a pic soon, since I know we all like pics!

There are some nice 60cc pro constructed saws in the trading post from reputable sellers that will back their work right now. For considerably less money than a brand new Stihl. Something to consider.
As this post a decent used not abused saw from a known reputable forum member will give you a much better bang for your buck a bigger Pro saw will do all you ask of it & more a smaller saw will possibly get the job done but with less ease. & if you decide the saw is not to your liking the deprecation will have been taken care of before it became yours.

You made a good choice with the 362. Down the road you may want a smaller saw such as the MS241 for smaller work, but if you're up to handling it, it's not a bad choice for a one saw plan.

What kind of work bench is that anyway. No spare/broken parts, tools organized, no dirt. How can you work under those horrendous conditions?
Thnaks for the kind words. More I use it the happier I am! And for the bench, call it OCD. Lol! Try to keep my stuff nice and neat... seems to last longer that way! :)

Back